Swap meet...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if i can get my 2101xp going again im not going to use it much. I would just hate to ruin it and not be able to get the parts to fix it. My question is what husqvarna saw in the 90cc range can i replace it with? I would like an older saw but not old enough that i cant find parts. Any ideas?

So if i can get my 2101xp going again im not going to use it much. I would just hate to ruin it and not be able to get the parts to fix it. My question is what husqvarna saw in the 90cc range can i replace it with? I would like an older saw but not old enough that i cant find parts. Any ideas?

394XP? I believe a member here may have one for sale on CL in my area for a very reasonable price. Shoot me a PM (convo?) and I'll provide the link if it's still active.

394xp or 395xp. They are almost identical to one another. The 395xp is probably a better choice if you're concerned about parts, but the 394 can be converted to a 395.

I find myself in need of a couple of parts
1)Tank and handle for a Husky 395xp
2)Inner spike for a 395xp
Have green pieces of paper,025/ms250 family,028 parts,and miscellaneous flotsam and jetsam to trade.
PM please.
RR

Thats sounds good to me. If you dont mind yall keep your ear to the ground and if you come across anything like that for sale let me know. I just want to mill some pine with a 36" mill / bar. I dont really collect chainsaws but i dont see the need in ruining my 2101xp. Thanks for the help.

Thats sounds good to me. If you dont mind yall keep your ear to the ground and if you come across anything like that for sale let me know. I just want to mill some pine with a 36" mill / bar. I dont really collect chainsaws but i dont see the need in ruining my 2101xp. Thanks for the help.

I've been runnin' 2100's since the 70's, mostly in the PNW. I can't imagine a better saw to run a 36" bar and larger. I ran bars on 'em back in the day up to six ft. When I quit loggin' in the 80's, I kept the 2100's that I had. One was stolen and so I bought another about the same vintage. Sure it's despicable that Husky bailed on this saw early, but we just deal with it. If that means buying donors for it, than so be it. I run a 2100 every chance I get and not gently or timidly, but backed up with larger J'reds.

Fortunately, there were a LOT of these saws made and are still floating around in various stages of disrepair. Ebay is about the worst place to buy a runner, because they are averaging $500+ there in dubious shape....mostly now out of Canada. In the beginning of the Canadian ebay wave, the saws were pretty decent. Now if they find them on the bottom of a pond, it goes on ebay for $500+. Not sayin' anything bad about Canadians, but there are liars and cheats there just like here. Last 2100 I found was in a pawnshop for $100....worth way more than that in just parts. It's true I've been able to amass more J'red parts than Husky, but that's only because of my disgust on what people think 2100 parts are worth.

What I'm sayin' is, don't be afraid to run your saw and run it hard;it loves decent size wood.

Kevin

I trashed my cylinder the other day when i stripped my spark plug thread then fouled up the Helicoil fix. I have a machine shop trying to get me going again. I think its a great running saw and lots of power but keeping in mind i only have a 55 rancher, husky 142 and a John Deere 65sv and the only saws i have ever used so when i tradded a Benelli shotgun (only had 200.00 in the gun) for the saw oh boy was i impressed. Lots more power than my other saws. I sure with i could start remanufacturing parts for the older saws just so people could keep using the saws the love.

I trashed my cylinder the other day when i stripped my spark plug thread then fouled up the Helicoil fix. I have a machine shop trying to get me going again. I think its a great running saw and lots of power but keeping in mind i only have a 55 rancher, husky 142 and a John Deere 65sv and the only saws i have ever used so when i tradded a Benelli shotgun (only had 200.00 in the gun) for the saw oh boy was i impressed. Lots more power than my other saws. I sure with i could start remanufacturing parts for the older saws just so people could keep using the saws the love.

Eventually, maybe 3D printing will save all our collective asses. For now, we scrounge....which suits some people more than runin' the saw itself; the smell of a hustle or a swap 'deal' is their elixir. Like I said though, there were many, many 2100/2101's sold back in the day. They're out there...but it's come down to;at what price?

Kevin

Out your way im sure you run across them more often but in South Carolina i think they will be hard to find. The husky dealer i took my cylinder to swears up and down they only make a 3 digit model saw. Blows mw away...lol I guess for most folks the need for a big saw around here is more of a want. Very true in my case. I will for sure be keeping my eyes peeled for any from now on. Ill buy what i can when i can. All my friends are making fun of me for getting this saw. They say oh i will out cut you because you will be so tired after an hour of cutting but like you the weight does not bother me at all. This coming from guy that wont duck unless the sun is shining and 70 degress out lol. I love the saw and i will keep it around for a long time even if it just to start it and listen to it run lol.

Out your way im sure you run across them more often but in South Carolina i think they will be hard to find. The husky dealer i took my cylinder to swears up and down they only make a 3 digit model saw. Blows mw away...lol I guess for most folks the need for a big saw around here is more of a want. Very true in my case. I will for sure be keeping my eyes peeled for any from now on. Ill buy what i can when i can. All my friends are making fun of me for getting this saw. They say oh i will out cut you because you will be so tired after an hour of cutting but like you the weight does not bother me at all. This coming from guy that wont duck unless the sun is shining and 70 degress out lol. I love the saw and i will keep it around for a long time even if it just to start it and listen to it run lol.

Corey,
Well, when I was loggin', you would have been laughed off the job site if you complained about the heft or weight of a saw...with the appropriate language. More cc's meant more low-end torque for the bigger timber. Then came the whole generation of lighter, higher revving saws. The timber(what's left of it) is smaller today and saws like the 395XP with a 36" bar are pretty fantastic in most timber even around here. The 2100/2101 with the right bar, sprocket & chain will hold its own against anything in larger timber. But if you're going to pay an outrageous price for one of these old saws and try to find the parts to support it, you'd be better off to buy something newer, better supported. You did well on your original trade with the 2100.

You need to stay away from that Husky dealer down there...that much misinformation should be some sort of a crime. A 2100/2101 dug into a big log buckin' with .404 skip tooth chisel is a sight to behold. But it may be something of an anomaly down there. If you like the saw and want to keep it for whatever reason...just do it. Plenty of us left(knock on wood) that know these saws inside & out to help.

Kevin

Thank you guys so much for all the help. I hope to have the 2101 going again by Wednesday. I really love watching all the videos on youtube of the 2100's ripping into those big trees out west. I have 8 beautiful pines in my yard coming down this summer. Not a brach on any of them for eighty feet. It sould make for a lot of fun with a big saw and a mill. I wish i had a 100 big straight beautiful pines like this. It would make for a heck of a log home. Ill be watching ebay and craigslist and try to find a few more 2101's for parts but my problem is i would want to fix them and not rob parts...lol Thanks so much for your help Kevin. I really enjoy reading what you post about downing trees out west back in the day..

Corey,
You're very welcome and don't give up on the 2101. There is a rabid following for these saws as witnessed on ebay a yr or so ago....someone was auctioning a new-in-the-box 2101 power head that had never had any gas/oil run through it. Guy said he bought it and stuck in a closet all these yrs...whatever. Anyway, I quit watching as the saw approached $3K...made me sick to my stomach. Hell, if you wanted a new, balls-to-the-wall saw like that, for that money you could buy a 3120XP and have it ported/modded.

Unless you're still down in CA into Redwoods and such....the days of spring boards and multiple tree jack pacs are all but over. Still some isolated timber like that up in Alaska & Canada as well. Glad to say I was a part of it and survived. Have fun takin' down those pines with your 2101 if you get it 100% again. I have the same dilemma with the big Huskies;bring them home for parts, see what's wrong, repair and flip them. Doesn't do much for my long-term goals though....lol

Kevin

Free to a good home.
A VERY well used clapped out totally stripped Husky 288XP Fuel Tank.
I can post pics.
All you have to do is pay shipping.

IMG_20140325_070857_404.jpg

IMG_20140325_070912_150.jpg

Latest posts

Back