Synthetic Blend Marine Oil...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
... for 2-cycle engines, such as Johnson, Mercury, Evinrude, etc...

Now, why not use it as a fuel mix for 2-cycle chainsaw, leaf blower, line trimmer, and other 2-cycle engines as well? Seems like it would work fine.

Forum, please advise. :confused:

They are made of different compounds. Outboard oil is made for water-cooled engines where chainsaw oil is made for air-cooled engines. Saws usually run hotter temps.

No Warning Label

They are made of different compounds. Outboard oil is made for water-cooled engines where chainsaw oil is made for air-cooled engines. Saws usually run hotter temps.

Hmmm... No warning is placed on the bottles/jugs saying, "Do Not Use With Chainsaws and Other Land Equipment. Use Only With Marine Engines."

In this day and age, I have to wonder why? :msp_rolleyes:

So, is the reverse also true? Can the marine engines run on 2-cycle fuel oil mix for chainsaws or is that also a no-no?

Last edited:
Only use outboard motor in a outboard..and air cooled oil in a air cooled..Do not use air cooled in a outboard either..Or water cooled in a air cooled.Unless you like repair bills.

Hmmm... No warning is placed on the bottles/jugs saying, "Do Not Use With Chainsaws and Other Land Equipment. Use Only With Marine Engines."

In this day and age, I have to wonder why? :msp_rolleyes:

So, is the reverse also true? Can the marine engines run on 2-cycle fuel oil mix for chainsaws or is that also a no-no?

Gee, I really don't know about a liquid cooled engine running an air cooled 'designed' oil. Probably not a great idea. Some people probably do it, but I don't know who they could be. Everyone that I've babbled with out on the lake runs good stuff, nothing that isn't designed for liquid cooling or exposure to the harsh marine environment.

All I know is the fully synthetic Royal Purple doesn't have anything saying it can't be used in a saw or other lawn equipment of the two smoke variety. I run it in both the air cooled 440 Rotax on the MX-Z and the liquid cooled 583 Rotax in the Formula Z. They both love the stuff and run real good with it. If it isn't causing the air cooled 440 to run bad or show any problems, I'd say that it would work fine with the proper mix ratio in any smaller engine.

However, with your 'Marine' labeled synthetic blend, I'd say it's a bit sketchy... you can try it for a few tanks in one of your 'lesser' liked saws and pull the muffler off and see if there is excess carbon build up and whatnot. If everything is clean, go for it. :)

I am a believer in Royal Purple. However, the two stroke oil is about all I'll buy, mainly because it in fact is quite a bit cheaper than the Ski-Doo XP-S synthetic oil. The four stoke oil is an amazing 8 bucks a quart here. :dizzy:

If I had my high performance 300 hp four cylinder engine built and in the VW, I'd run it, as I would have put a lot of time into the build. Otherwise, for your average DD, not really worth it, especially considering the fact that on a high mileage engine, the seals would likely leak from the deposits being eaten away by the synthetic oil's superior detergents.

An Outboard motor runs about 150*, A Chainsaw motor runs about 250*, The outboard motor inherently (being water cooled) makes alot of condensation inside the motor and the oil has additives to combat that. thats stuff you don't need in the air cooled motor. The reason I have Two Husky Ranchers is because I was using outboard oil in my saw, it siezed mid cut in a tree that was leaning towards my house, I figured if it was good enough for a $20,000 outboard motor it would certainly be good enough for a saw. I WAS WRONG:msp_mad: I don't care what they say it will work in, I ain't trying it again......

I use that Penzoil synthetic marine blend in my Polaris xplorer(water cooled) but like being said it is not made to use in air cooled engines.

Geez Ed! You have been inhaling elm dust again-haven't you?:msp_rolleyes: Marine is not formulated for chainsaws, but probably would function OK for awhile. Semi synthetic is a joke. It only has to be 1 percent synthetic to be called "semi". Either use synthetic or petroleum, but a mix is an over-priced joke.

Even if one was to get a smoking deal on a quantity of this type of oil, it would not be worth the chance of ruining a saw with it. Face it, even if you use quite a bit of mix, the cost of oil is negligible in the big picture. Get the good stuff.:clap:

OK fair enough oil engineers.... outboard oil for watercooled 2 strokes and chainsaw oil for aircooled 2 strokes, right??,,,now what about the guy just saying he uses the same oil in both his aircooled and water cooled sleds???? And what the heck should I run in my aircooled outboard???? (it actually says non-detergent SAE-30wt)

Personally I run Stihl Ultra in all my chainsaws these days but have also run good quality ashless outboard oil in a lot of the same exact saws for yrs with no adverse results or premature wear. I don't cut in the desert or deep south either. Good quality oil is the key... remember the oil is not doing it's job in the combustion chamber..most its work is done in the crankcase and cyl walls where temps are much cooler than the cyl head temp. IMHO...from a guy who has never siezed saw but I have blown up outboards!!!!

Actually, Hoop, I only use 2-cycle chainsaw oil for my saws and all other land-based equipment. I guess I was more concerned about using that for the marine engine that a friend of mine has.

He's been using the same fuel-mix oil for both the boat and the saws, and I doubt he's ever used marine synthetic blend in the boat engine's fuel.

I cut some more American elm rounds this past week--four truckloads now on board for next winter's burn. The ant is doing his thing while the grasshoppers hatch out. :msp_smile:

someone gave me a whole gallon of merc. outboard oil from a garage sale and I ran it in an 031 for a whloe year and never had a problem i don't run it now but didn't have any trouble when i did , it was free:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Hey Ed. I just hope we both live long enough to have another gtg. Scott is going to have to work pretty hard to find a bigger cottonwood, though.:laugh:

My take on this: Prior to the mid 70's most manufactures of 2 cycle engines specified a 30wt non-detergent oil. Almost all of the marine 2 cycle companies (OMC, Mercury, etc.) specified their own brand of oil (and still do), with the 30wt non-detergent as a short term standby. Eventually standards were developed independentely for water cooled and air cooled 2 cycle engines. I believe you can use either oil type for short term use. BUT... The tolerences in modern 2 cycle engines are much tighter and operating temperatures along with the reduction of emmisions, are now a factor in the type of oil used. Bottom line: If you can find a 2 cycle oil that is both JASO and TCW approved, use it. I have never had a problem using up my old Johnson 2 cycle oil in all of my old 2 cycle engines. My new engines (air cooled) get a full synthetic JASO FD.

Latest posts

Back