Take my challenge, I promise you will see results.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pataya1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I posted about differences in pump gas at local filling stations yesterday, and for those whom don't believe it, take my challenge, and follow these steps, you will be amazed. (type ethanol in the search bar if you want to read my two older posts)

For those of you who don't know from yesterdays posts pump gas contains 10% ethanol and that will go up to 15% starting later this year. Ethanol is not a good thing for engines.

Another fact, 1 gallon of ethanol contains 33% less energy than a gallon of pure gas.

So for those who don't believe me that your saw will run much better on pure gas, do the following:

Go to a marina, yes a boat marina. (the marine industry already knows ethanol is bad so this leads in to what I say next)
Marina gas should be 90 octane ethanol free gas, (ask a marina any good one has ethanol free gas)

Buy 1 gallon of the above 90 octane ethanol free gas, and mix with your preferred 2 cycle oil (just don't use TC-W3 because the W stands for water cooled)

Precisely mix your oil and gas.

Cut Wood (at least a few tank of fuel like 2-3)

You will notice increased throttle response, higher idle speeds.
Your engine will run cooler on pure gas (Highly tuned two-stroke engines will run leaner (and consequently hotter) on the lower Btu/gallon alcohol mix, potentially leading to melted pistons and scuffed cylinder walls.)

So if you don't believe it, try it for yourself.

A newby with gas issues... What happened to the old days when oil was the only worthy topic? Gary, where are you?

Just store your gas/oil mixture in glass tequila or vodka large and thick bottles.
(You can get them FREE at the recycle center bins)

I used some yesterday that is at least 6 months old in my MS192T...

Fired right up..!! - No way can moisture get in - and you can see for yourself there's NO gas/oil separation..!!

Now...granted this is for storage and NOT daily 'movement' that should be done in regular gas jugs.

It's NOT the 'ethanol' that is the problem - it does damage rubber in time - it's the moisture the ethanol gas collects

If you HALT that from happening via the glass sealed bottles - you have almost "TRU-Fuel" on the cheap...
(of course 'Tru-Fuel' is better and lasts longer - - but my proposal works really well shorter term and...it's...FREE..!!)
:cheers:
J2F

Mr. Ethanol Hysteria, please get your facts straight...there was a waiver granted that allows up to 15% E be sold.

Hey Neal, I tore down a Husqvarna K760 cut-off saw tonight and it had the same cylinder as the one I sent you a couple weeks ago.

je

I figured from the take my challenge title it had to be spam, I was right :bang:

One of the upsides of living in Alaska is they don't sell methanol gas :hmm3grin2orange:

Back when unleaded became the "new gas" everyone carried lead substitute for fuel, did anyone try it in there chainsaws? It really made a difference in my old 454 Chevy.

I think I'm confused. I've drank both ethanol and alcohol and my saws don't run any better. :confused2::bang:

You guys are cruel. Think back to your first post. There's nothing cool about making a guy feel stupid.

Last edited:
This is another myth for Chadihman to work with on his dyno.

Since ethanol has a higher latent heat of evaporation, it will tend to cool the cylinder a bit more than straight gas. If the carb is retuned to provide the same amount of potential BTUs for the air, the saw may show a slight increase in power by allowing a slightly denser cylinder filling.

It won't be much, I forget the exact figures, but straight alcohol (it may have been methanol, which has an even higher latent heat of evaporation) will only give a 6% increase. So 10% of that is only .6% - which may not even be able to be measured on the dyno.

Back