Take my challenge, I promise you will see results.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I refuse to let ignorance go unchecked.

While we all appreciate a good warning or heads up or helpful tips..... multiple threads on the same topic and assuming that the masses are ignorant as to the contents of our fuel is too much.

There's enough fuel, oil, and ethanol threads they could have a separate forum. So lack of information isn't a problem, misinformation is. We shouldn't let people add to it. I'm sure the op meant well but he's not providing the whole truth here.

I just want to comment since I posed the 3 posts being criticized.

First of all I DO NOT have any problems with my saws, fuel mix, or any other like suggested.

I have NO agenda in these posts and am not lobbying so get that straight.

I have real world, lab tested results and data that clearly show what I'm describing.

I have been reading posts on this site for a long time before I decided to join the site.

I've seen countless posts on saw issues and I decided to comment.

Based on my background and experience I think a lot of problems people have in the long run are being caused by the fuel.

It's my opinion, you don't have to buy into it. But at the end of the day, I can back up what I'm saying with real results, and testing that shows ethanol is a real problem.

This is another myth for Chadihman to work with on his dyno.

Since ethanol has a higher latent heat of evaporation, it will tend to cool the cylinder a bit more than straight gas. If the carb is retuned to provide the same amount of potential BTUs for the air, the saw may show a slight increase in power by allowing a slightly denser cylinder filling.

It won't be much, I forget the exact figures, but straight alcohol (it may have been methanol, which has an even higher latent heat of evaporation) will only give a 6% increase. So 10% of that is only .6% - which may not even be able to be measured on the dyno.

THIS GUY'S SCARING ME!:msp_ohmy:

Probably scared Chadihman even more - 'Crikey, not another bloody test!'

Glad I don't own a dyno, every man and his dog would want me to test something.

First of all I DO NOT have any problems with my saws, fuel mix, or any other like suggested.

I have real world, lab tested results and data that clearly show what I'm describing.

I have been reading posts on this site for a long time before I decided to join the site.

Based on my background and experience I think a lot of problems people have in the long run are being caused by the fuel.

It's my opinion, you don't have to buy into it. But at the end of the day, I can back up what I'm saying with real results, and testing that shows ethanol is a real problem.

If you're not lobbying, where do your "real world, lab tested results" come from?

Any chance you could list the equipment you use in your commercial firewood business?

Your engine will run cooler on pure gas (Highly tuned two-stroke engines will run leaner (and consequently hotter) on the lower Btu/gallon alcohol mix, potentially leading to melted pistons and scuffed cylinder walls.)

So if you don't believe it, try it for yourself.

The "leaner" with alcohol gas is from the "-OH" group on the ethanol molecule. It breaks down during the combustion process and releases the oxygen. That does indeed lean out the mixture. It may sound like it's going to be a small amount, but it is actually a big effect, even at 10% concentration. To run it, you have to tweak the fuel mix. It's not good to switch fuels and not retune the carb. I'm no expert, but it seems like a 1/8th turn or more on both the L and H jets. But it's real rare that I can get "the good stuff".

Biggest gripes on gasahol is the water it attracts, the way it makes things brittle and the noticeably greater fuel consumption.

You guys talk about an agenda, I think that we have actually found someone with one... I would rather talk saws than the politics of alternative energy sources.

Gloom and doom, it's the big evil e.

You will all suffer and life will be hard, and stuffs and things.

No worries, Auto-Tune will fix it.

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

Willard Duncan Vandiver 1899

Kind of reminds me of when Charles Emerson Winchester III came to be the new doctor at the 4077th MASH. Yeah, he knew a few things, but wasn't as smart as he thought, and could not grasp the fact that someone else could be pretty smart too. Then to actually be surprised when said someone is offended by his arrogance.

I don't know about you guys, but I just love being endowed by the wisdom of people like Oprah, the ladies on The View, and heck, even Katie Couric. After all, without them, how would I know how to be compassionate and sympathetic. I mean really...give the guy a break.

Normally I would shy away from commenting like this, but there is another newb over on the firewood forum who seems like he joined just so he could get his thrill by stirring the pot. Just venting a little. Sorry if I offended anyone.....well, not really.

That would be great. Please share...

Kind of reminds me of when Charles Emerson Winchester III came to be the new doctor at the 4077th MASH. Yeah, he knew a few things, but wasn't as smart as he thought, and could not grasp the fact that someone else could be pretty smart too. Then to actually be surprised when said someone is offended by his arrogance.

I don't know about you guys, but I just love being endowed by the wisdom of people like Oprah, the ladies on The View, and heck, even Katie Couric. After all, without them, how would I know how to be compassionate and sympathetic. I mean really...give the guy a break.

Normally I would shy away from commenting like this, but there is another newb over on the firewood forum who seems like he joined just so he could get his thrill by stirring the pot. Just venting a little. Sorry if I offended anyone.....well, not really.

Top Ten All Time Best Post!!!

"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."

Willard Duncan Vandiver 1899

Works for me! :Eye:

Latest posts

Back