Take my challenge, I promise you will see results.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok,,,, I am putting in my 2 cents here,, so flame me,,,,, I just got done draining all my saws of the 93 octane shell with 10% ethanol and refilling with the 90 octane non ethanol fuel I found in Paducah,,,, here is what I noticed,,, I know I am getting old and deaf but I did hear distinct change in the way the saws sounded plus I had to lean them all out about 1/8th turn,,, whether it was me or not I don't know but I did notice some difference between the ethanol and non ethanol fuel

ok,,,, I am putting in my 2 cents here,, so flame me,,,,, I just got done draining all my saws of the 93 octane shell with 10% ethanol and refilling with the 90 octane non ethanol fuel I found in Paducah,,,, here is what I noticed,,, I know I am getting old and deaf but I did hear distinct change in the way the saws sounded plus I had to lean them all out about 1/8th turn,,, whether it was me or not I don't know but I did notice some difference between the ethanol and non ethanol fuel

Well yeah there's a difference. The point is that the ethanol doesn't make the saw explode as soon as you pull the string like some would have you believe.

Shouldn't you be chasing some extremely round women??:msp_rolleyes:

Well yeah there's a difference. The point is that the ethanol doesn't make the saw explode as soon as you pull the string like some would have you believe.

Shouldn't you be chasing some extremely round women??:msp_rolleyes:

yes I should be so bite my azz mooooooo cow:msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

I had to lean all mine out too when i changed from V-Power Shell to 91 octane E Free.

Those weren't the type of "valves" that were being referred to. The reeds I've seen that were thin enough to consider prone were made from carbon fiber. Fact of the matter is they'll wear out long before this devastating ethanol kills it.
The valves in my pole saw are like the valves that were talked about.

There are two points there.

"Back when unleaded became the "new gas" everyone carried lead substitute for fuel, did anyone try it in there chainsaws? It really made a difference in my old 454 Chevy. " quoted

(i get that ported 2 strokes don't have valves) why can't anybody read here. Hasn't anybody ruined the valves on a old car? 1966 t-bird 429. There's a point to fuel treatment and it isn't magic.

OK, Point 1 when fuel changes, engines need to change. theirs your valves.
............... Yes this is frothy eloquence ............

Ok out of all you #### talkers have you had a machine come in that when you pour the fuel out it instantly separates into this 70/30 split of garbage. Now low octane gas/oil on top, water/alcy/jelly on the bottom. That alcohol jelly is instant scoring and death. Don't believe me? I live in oregon, the water side loggers work in constant drizzle. So just add a couple of oz of water to your eGas, let it sit for about a month and run it through your saw. It will be fine right?

Point 2. We all know its bad, just tell that guy its bad. Don't make up a billion stupid stories just cause he's stupid. He wouldn't be here ignorant if he didn't want information and support. Hell, I'm stupid enough to get involved so were all learning.

Edit. More to the point who could be so dumb that they think i mean reed valves or 4mix valves for that matter, leaded fuel treatment can only help an old 4 stroke engine with soft valve seats and that's all I'm referring too.

My 454 chevy likes mixed fuel.

Last edited:

I suspect he's still out looking for those results. Maybe the cow ate em.

For those watching, I'm not a big ethanol in my gas supporter (it's better in cans and bottles), I just want to see a guy who brags about having facts back em up.

"Back when unleaded became the "new gas" everyone carried lead substitute for fuel, did anyone try it in there chainsaws? It really made a difference in my old 454 Chevy. " quoted

(i get that ported 2 strokes don't have valves) why can't anybody read here. Hasn't anybody ruined the valves on a old car? 1966 t-bird 429. There's a point to fuel treatment and it isn't magic.

Ok out of all you #### talkers have you had a machine come in that when you pour the fuel out it instantly separates into this 70/30 split of garbage. Now low octane gas/oil on top, water/alcy/jelly on the bottom. That alcohol jelly is instant scoring and death. Don't believe me? I live in oregon, the water side loggers work in constant drizzle. So just add a couple of oz of water to your eGas, let it sit for about a month and run it through your saw. It will be fine right?

Point 2. We all know its bad, just tell that guy its bad. Don't make up a billion stupid stories just cause he's stupid. He wouldn't be here ignorant if he didn't want information and support. Hell, I'm stupid enough to get involved so were all learning.

Edit. More to the point who could be so dumb that they think i mean reed valves or 4mix valves for that matter, leaded fuel treatment can only help an old 4 stroke engine with soft valve seats and that's all I'm referring too.

For the sake of clarity, your are implying someone might be dumb but you are using an automobile engine as an example in a chainsaw forum. Weird that it rains in Oregon, never heard of that before.

I have a 372 that has countless tanks through it and ethanol hasn't bothered it. But I'll be sure to use leaded treatments and e free fuels when I buy a 454 with a 36 inch bar and chain. To mock a quote of a man of Willard Vandiver's importance is both ignorant and spiteful. That being said I take no offense to your opinions. But that's because nobody has yet to post solid "data" about how awful these E fuels are for chainsaws. When you find this information stating that our saws aren't designed to run on it then please by all means post it. But there's no reason to throw sand in hopes of grabbing a rock.

Thought I may add the OP wasn't asking a question he was stating something without information that would back it up. All I and some other's were put off by was he expected us to take his word for it. And most people who log use fresh fuel around here so I've never seen this let it sit a month thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some of the facts...

For the ones saying where's the fact or what not, I'm going to comment as much as I can.
For those of you who may know, some companies or employers have the right to certain such data/patents/discoveries, until such a time it is public. So without violating that and the rules of this site I can try and comment further.

For the comment that I don't know the facts about E15...
E15 1st came available last summer at a gas station in Kansas. It comes from a blend pump, minimum of 4 gallons are allowed to be purchased.
It is specifically set up that way because the local regulators WANT TO "prevent owners of lawnmowers, chainsaws and other smaller motorized devices from fueling up" in their small engine equipment?

Doesn't that direct quote alone tell you that this fuel is NOT MEANT for your small engine equipment?

2nd
I wouldn't throw a bunch of technical terms and such out here. What does it matter how many hours I've been in a lab or study with other people who do this for a living.
The whole point of the post was in the title, test it out yourself. No lab or special equipment needed for the regular pro out here.
Prove it to yourself.

The simplest way to put it is that ethanol is hydrostatic, corrosive, contains less energy than pure gasoline, and lastly just plain bad for your small engine. Go ahead and leave your take full of fuel all winter with ethanol gas, see for yourself.

After 6 pages of trying to derail a post, calling me a newbie or anything else you want, ONLY 1 person actually dumped the fuel out of his saws, and replaced it with NON-Ethanol Fuel.

Later this person posted that a noticeable difference was seen and heard in the saw, and it was tuned after changed after fuel. So making it leaner means the saw needed less fuel and more air hence greater combustion because the straight gas had more energy.

I'm not new to using a chainsaw. I cut enough wood each week to put out 1500 bundles of wood for a small local side business with my cousin.
I have 2 saws.
#1 is a Husqvarna 346xp with 18" bar that I use since 2011 with no issues since day 1.
#2 is a Husqvarna 346xp with 18" bar that is brand new still in the box purchased since it was going to be discontinued and I didn't want to purchase a 550XP until the technology was proven so I bought another 346xp for reserve.

Derail all you want, but demand better fuel. If I put pages and pages of data in a report on this, all backed with the scientific part of data, it would all show its cheaper for the politicians to subsidize the farmers corn by purchasing it and dumping it in the ocean or donating it to a poor country than refining it and putting it in our fuel. But what for? Just prove it for your self with a $5 of non ethanol fuel.

I'm actually in the process of getting a local suppler to bring in non ethanol fuel, because a lot of the guys doing landscape around here spend big money on their equipment in repairs due to the fuel.
And all the repair shops around here are saying its all due to the fuel.
Its going to be made available at a pay at the pump 24 hours for guys in the trades.

The whole point of the post was to get others here to actually do a test for themselves. Why have me prove it to you when your only going to believe it when you can see it anyway? Those would be real word results you could see and not dispute.

For the ones saying where's the fact or what not, I'm going to comment as much as I can.
For those of you who may know, some companies or employers have the right to certain such data/patents/discoveries, until such a time it is public. So without violating that and the rules of this site I can try and comment further.

E15 1st came available last summer at a gas station in Kansas. It comes from a blend pump, minimum of 4 gallons are allowed to be purchased.
It is specifically set up that way because the local regulators WANT TO "prevent owners of lawnmowers, chainsaws and other smaller motorized devices from fueling up" in their small engine equipment?

Doesn't that direct quote alone tell you that this fuel is NOT MEANT for your small engine equipment?

2nd
I wouldn't throw a bunch of technical terms and such out here. What does it matter how many hours I've been in a lab or study with other people who do this for a living.
The whole point of the post was in the title, test it out yourself. No lab or special equipment needed for the regular pro out here.
Prove it to yourself.

The simplest way to put it is that ethanol is hydrostatic, corrosive, contains less energy than pure gasoline, and lastly just plain bad for your small engine. Go ahead and leave your take full of fuel all winter with ethanol gas, see for yourself.

After 6 pages of trying to derail a post, calling me a newbie or anything else you want, ONLY 1 person actually dumped the fuel out of his saws, and replaced it with NON-Ethanol Fuel.
Later this person posted that a noticeable difference was seen and heard in the saw, and it was tuned after changed after fuel. So making it leaner means the saw needed less fuel and more air hence greater combustion because the straight gas had more energy.

I'm not new to using a chainsaw. I cut enough wood each week to put out 1500 bundles of wood for a small local side business with my cousin.
I have 2 saws.
#1 is a Husqvarna 346xp with 18" bar that I use since 2011 with no issues since day 1.
#2 is a Husqvarna 346xp with 18" bar that is brand new still in the box purchased since it was going to be discontinued and I didn't want to purchase a 550XP until the technology was proven so I bought another 346xp for reserve.

Derail all you want, but demand better fuel. If I put pages and pages of data in a report on this, all backed with the scientific part of data, it would all show its cheaper for the politicians to subsidize the farmers corn by purchasing it and dumping it in the ocean or donating it to a poor country than refining it and putting it in our fuel. But what for? Just prove it for your self with a $5 of non ethanol fuel.

I'm actually in the process of getting a local suppler to bring in non ethanol fuel, because a lot of the guys doing landscape around here spend big money on their equipment in repairs due to the fuel.
Its going to be made available at a pay at the pump 24 hours for guys in the trades.

The whole point of the post was to get others here to actually do a test for themselves. Why have me prove it to you when your only going to believe it when you can see it anyway? Those would be real word results you could see and not dispute.

If I had the option to dump my ethanol laced gasoline, I'd do it in a heartbeat. But, here in my part of the world, it's just not an option. :angry:

2nd
Prove it to yourself.

I have 2 saws.

tl;dr

2nd
Prove it to yourself.

I have 2 saws.

Its going to be made available at a pay at the pump 24 hours for guys in the trades. How much and how will it be taxed? What color?

What is the minimum delivery for the tank?

The last place that I new of that tried that was about +/-$2.00 more than premium E so any savings in mileage and maintenance cost was lost. If they are having issues beyond that then it is a person issue more than a fuel issue.

When asked what it was worth to me to get out of E-10 my estimate is maybe a 5% increase over pump e-10, for small engines, tops. The savings from not be road taxed would be important unless the consumer is already declaring that, then it would be a wash.

Back