THALL and Hoss out cutting today..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That $702.25 is sure depressing. For that money I could turn my stihl contra into an 090 with new piston, jug and clutch. Now this isn't meant to poo-poo huskys but if I have to chose between the 357 husky and 090 (or any number of big saws you can get for that kind of money) I'll take the 090 every day and twice on sunday. In this case it's doubly sad because that 357 is his mill saw.

I'm settling down,
but if you could show me where I or anybody could buy a running 090 for 702.25 ?

Manual I think you misunderstand a few things. First, I don't care if he mills with a husky. I was just saying that for the money he could have gotten a saw better suited to the job regardless of brand.
Second I didn't say buy a rinning 090 for $702.00. What I said was that I would buy the parts to convert my contra to 090 specs. I know you don't like stihl propaganda but that's not what this was.

It's ok Hoss,
I think the guy is doing the best he can do.
Say you can only "afford" one saw. That would be a good pick. for a all around saw.
Putting the differences aside.
Being the caretaker, I'm sure that saw does plenty of clean up.

I said running saw because that is what he needs.
Maybe he spent too much for it, You did say he was happy with it.

Last edited:
I'm settling down,
but if you could show me where I or anybody could buy a running 090 for 702.25 ?

Here is one that is under that price. Better get on it quick though. This one has some Makita blue paint that might make it faster (remember the Simonized saw?).:laugh: :laugh:

It's ok Hoss,
Say you can only "afford" one saw. That would be a good pick. for a all around saw.

He already has a husky55 and a small shindaiwa for cleanup and general cutting. When he bought the 357 he was looking for a saw especially to run in his mill. He was led to believe by the dealer that the 357 was THE saw he needed. Although you are right in one aspect, he does like it for general use and cleanup (it is stronger than his 55) but is not happy with it when milling.(it's intended use) Iwas saying that for $702.00 there much better saws to be had for MILLING.

It's ok Hoss,

"Maybe he spent too much for it", say what, no maybe about it. He fell victim to what many complain about Manual, the huge variances in Husky prices. At one place it goes for 499.99 and where he bought his it was 702.25, a 200.00 differance. No way to justify that other than to say someone's pricing policies are out of line bigtime. Did his dealer take him for a ride, no one knows. Maybe his dealer paid 550.00 for the saw , who knows. I know your not a Stihl fan by any means but I can assure you there are no 200.00 differances between dealers and dealer costs with Stihl. This 357xp we're talking about may be exactly why Husky is finally cracking down on pricing policies. I doult the man would buy another one after seeing the variances in prices all over the place and I can't blame him. When prices vary that much one has to wonder what the hell is going on.

As for the saw itself his only major complaint with it is what he paid for it and then finding out later he could have got it alot cheaper. Other than that he likes that saw. He uses it for milling now and then and he says its slow in the mill but he wasn't complaining much about it. I will say this, the man is a master craftsman with wood. He makes some beautifull pieces. He takes much more pride in his wood work and than he does his saw. The saw is a tool to him and nothing more. His wood work seems to be his real pride and joy and he's very good at it. Rest assured Manual he would laff at us arguing about chainsaws, he could care less. He's sorta like me, all the hype and hoop la about saws is really pointless. Fun to argu about but when it gets right down to it as long and it runs good and cuts good thats the main thing. Rest is just BS and fun and play. He and me have already had our laffs about saws and he knows I'm cool with whatever he likes. He likes that 7900 of mine better than that Husky of his and he has said so right out. Even so he still likes his Husky and I say cool beans to him.

OK,what's better? for $702.00:blob2:

poulan4400
pioneer p61
395 husky
homie 925
homie xp1000-3100
dolmar ct
dolmar 166
dolmar 153
dolmar7900
mac sp101-125
Any of these used could be had for $702.00 or less and would be MUCH more suited to milling. These are just off the top of my head, there are many more.

Last edited:
poulan4400
pioneer p61
395 husky
homie 925
homie xp1000-3100
dolmar ct
dolmar 166
dolmar 153
dolmar7900
mac sp101-125
Any of these used could be had for $702.00 or less and would be MUCH more suited to milling. These are just off thetop of my head, there are many more.

3120xp

You might be right Ultra, I just haven't seen one go for as little as $702.00, but I'm sure they are out there. I did include the 395 in there just to prove I'm not a huskyphobic. I'm hoping I can find an 084 for a reasonable price, but I know those just don't exist. I also left out the homlite 750/650. (shame on me)

You might be right Ultra, I just haven't seen one go for as little as $702.00, but I'm sure they are out there. I did include the 395 in there just to prove I'm not a huskyphobic. I'm hoping I can find an 084 for a reasonable price, but I know those just don't exist. I also left out the homlite 750/650. (shame on me)

OOP's I forgot 084........

Back