The best *homeowner* saw only costs $298. brand new!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trees (pine) here are very unlikely to be bigger than 36" (18" bar) so the 262 is perfect for felling them. Could have a 70cc also but felling big trees is very occasional. When it comes to "taking down everything" 99,99999999999999999999% is done by harvesters. I mostly thin using chainsaw but many use smaller harvesters there too. I use my 50cc saws most of the time. I would say 75% or more of all chainsaws sold here, are 50cc saws with 13-15 inch bar. Bigger stuff is just extra weight and hence lower production.

Hmmmm... you make 6 cuts to drop a tree and run back and forth from one side of the tree to the other to drop it? I like the idea of staying on one side of the tree and making 3 cuts. No running around the tree. If you're a pro, you're not the picture of efficiency. :(

Hmmmm... you make 6 cuts to drop a tree and run back and forth from one side of the tree to the other to drop it? I like the idea of staying on one side of the tree and making 3 cuts. No running around the tree. If you're a pro, you're not the picture of efficiency. :(

hmmmm... taking 6 cuts to drop tree twice the bar lenght in diameter, not gonna happen... it takes exactly 3 cuts and you dont even have to take more than 4 steps to fell tree twice the bar lenght, atleast over here...

But ofcourse, everything is bigger and better on the other side of ocean so my opinion cant be valid since my bar is shorter than 16" and my saw doesnt even weight +15lbs....

hmmmm... taking 6 cuts to drop tree twice the bar lenght in diameter, not gonna happen... it takes exactly 3 cuts and you dont even have to take more than 4 steps to fell tree twice the bar lenght, atleast over here...

But ofcourse, everything is bigger and better on the other side of ocean so my opinion cant be valid since my bar is shorter than 16" and my saw doesnt even weight +15lbs....
I use a 15'' bar on my 2159. Here is a pick with the new bar and freshly cleaned saw.

I use a 15'' bar on my 2159. Here is a pick with the new bar and freshly cleaned saw.
attachment.php

Yea!!! Same as I have, 2159 whit 15" bar ;)
attachment.php

:chainsawguy:

When I take a tree down, I want a bar that matches the tree. I like to make my cuts and get the tree on the ground as fast as possible after I've made my first cut. No sense wanking around under the tree playing with a short bar. Too me, it's a safety and productivity issue. With a good running 395, you could drop the tree in less than half the time. Can you do it otherwise? Sure, but why? If you're a pro I can't imagine why.

Warranty

I am going to side up with the hated MR SUPER CHUNKY on this one. Why do so many people whine about the warranty on a homeowner saw. What does the average homeowner cut in one year, maybe 10 hours?

All of you techs know d@mb well that 99% of the time, these little saws are ruined by operator error (old fuel, no oil, squashed by a tree, etc) which is never covered under warranty. At least the salesman at the box store doesn't know that and you could get your idiotized saw past him.:hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

Yea!!! Same as I have, 2159 whit 15" bar ;)
attachment.php

:chainsawguy:

I have the 2159 with a 20 inch bar. Have used it a bit to cut down some 15-18 in thick trees. Am very satisfied with it. Even as light as it is I had some back strain at the end of each day that a Motrin would cure. A heavier saw would have caused some serious "back damage" I do believe.

I had to cut them special because they were all along a power line that I needed to be careful of.

Last edited:
Specific brands and chainsaws aside...

What I *try* to do is I will pay more for a quality product, but will not pay for a "label" or "name" just to have the name.

Sometimes like with clothes, you can get good quality without paying for a "name".

With tools and power equipment, certain names are associated with quality. I hear people say "I have had a brand X gizmo and have never had any problems with it." Well I want to buy that product and will pay more for it.

Other names are associated with trouble. I hear many people say "I bought a brand Y gizmo and had nothing but trouble for the get go." I don't want to buy that product.

Then with tools and power equipment, how much am I going to use it? If I am only going to use it rarely, then no need to get a durable professional model. If I will be using it a lot, then top of the line pro model will be well worth the cost. It will last and hold up under a lot of use.

Many manufacturers make "consumer" products which are not designed to be used much, but they also manufacture professional or commercial grade products which are built to stand up to the toughest abuse.

So what chainsaws do I have?

I have a Poulan electric for cutting roots. I only need to cut roots out about once a year - rarely. This wrecks the chain, but I want those roots out. This does the trick safely. I've had to repair this saw twice.

For friends to use when they are helping me, I have a Poulan Wild Thing. This has a safety chain and it is more safe for them to use. My friends have used this saw more than a typical homeowner would. It currently has the pull cord broken and I need to fix it. You get what you pay for. I have a friend who uses the same saw as a typical homeowner would and his saw is working fine. So he is happy with this product, I am not.

For my saw I have a Stihl MS-460 with a 32" bar. I use this saw a *lot* and it is dependable. I had to pay a small fortune for this saw, but I use it a lot. So well worth the cost. I am *very* happy with this product.

+1 Excellent post

Consumer digest also rated the thal bs290000 behind the simonizer mach 40 1/3.

Hahaha. Somehow I must have missed that story. I didn't miss they also rated the 230, 180 too as best consumer choices,hehehehe. Now don't you fret Space, maybe next year or in the next century they will rate them old Poulans at your place of business as a best buy. Don't hold ya breath though,:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:

Are you saying Peter is not a Professional :bowdown: :hmm3grin2orange:

Sic em boys :hmm3grin2orange:

I just checked on ConsumerReports.org They only list sub-46cc saws, so the Husky 350 is not on the list, but the MS250 is, in 6th place . . . . . . . . led by Craftsman 35082 in 4th place. Hmmmmmm

CRchainsaws.jpg

So funny, what year was that. Desparate are ya,let me help you stop that lying, check out this link and getcha self up to date. Have a fork ready for your crow,LOLOL

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS250CBE.html

or this one,http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS230CBE.html

Copy and weep!!,hehehehe

or this one,http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS180CBE.html

Last edited:
Hahaha. Somehow I must have missed that story. I didn't miss they also rated the 230, 180 and the FS 45's as best cosumer choices,hehehehe. Now don't you fret Space, maybe next year or in the next century they will rate them old Poulans at your place of business as a best buy. Don't hold ya breath though,:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

Hey, look at Space's Avatar.
He finally put a picture of himself in there.:laugh: :laugh:

Hey, look at Space's Avatar.
He finally put a picture of himself in there.:laugh: :laugh:

I saw that. Space likes changing his avatars alot. He better hope Davey doesn't sneak up behind him,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey RR look at the picture on the right door

People look at the poster all the time, any of those in Husky shops?,LOL

attachment.php

Last edited:
Such "test reports" are totally worthless anyway, so it doesn't matter........:laugh: :laugh: :ices_rofl:

Not so, no no no. When those homeowners walk in carrying a computer print out of the Consumer Digest Best buy looking for that certain model it counts ALOT. I get em all the time coming in the door with those print outs and they leave with the saw they were reading about. Believe it or not many many people trust Consumer Digest more so than the folks selling the saws.

I'm with you though Sawtroll, most of em don't need a saw period, be 350 or 250.

Last edited:
Back