The best *homeowner* saw only costs $298. brand new!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know how a Husky 350 compares to a Stihl 028 WB? My 028 is all the saw I need, but I keep thinking about getting a new saw. Then I think, spend the extra for a 353 or a Dolmar 5100- but I talk myself out of buying any.

You have excellent control,,,,

Anyone know how a Husky 350 compares to a Stihl 028 WB? My 028 is all the saw I need, but I keep thinking about getting a new saw. Then I think, spend the extra for a 353 or a Dolmar 5100- but I talk myself out of buying any.

of your wallet!!!!!!!!!!! :jawdrop:

This thread is about compatibility and value for the homeowner, nothing else!.

After being on this forum for several weeks now, there is lots of advice to potential new chainsaw owners given. Much of it is good; however, a lot of it is overkill.

What I mean is that I don't even think I can count as high as how many times I have read others suggesting new homeowners go out and buy a $600 Stihl ms361.

Yes, they are fantastic saws, no qualms there, but for the "occasional" user who may just cut down a few modest sized trees or a few cords of wood per year, these people really don't need to spend more than $298 for a fantastic brand new saw that is very *compatible* for what threy are doing with it.

The saw I referring to is a Husqvarna 350, plain and simple. This is a very powerful saw (by homeowner standards), producing 3.2 hp...[more than powerful enough for firewood cutting], and is also VERY light @ just a tick over 10 1/2 lbs.

A 3.2hp saw, weighing only 10 1/2 lbs and costing only $298.00 is proportionally about as good a ratio as the Dolar 5100 producing 3.8hp, weighing 11 lbs, and costing around $400. These are just fantastic specs!!!

Some members may suggest to get the husky 353 over the 350, but in reality, the only difference is the magnesium vs plastic case and around $50-$75 more money!.

While magnesium may be stronger than plastic, don't forget the main theme of this post.......that being COMPATIBILITY!!. Magnesium is used on PRO level saws that see many hundreds if not thousands of hours on them. If you are a "homeowner", ask yourself...."am I a PRO??". "Am I going to be cutting a few hundred cords of firewood this year? or maybe just 3 or 4??.

What I am really trying to say is that in my opinion, too many people are buying "PRO" level saws and spending much more money than they have to when a high quality "homeowner" saw like the Husky 350 will work out perfectly for many, many years.

Now don't get me wrong, if you have the cash and desire to by a top of the line saw like a Stihl ms361, then by all means do. The only purpose of this post is just to let the "average" occasional user know that there are certainly other options that will accomplish the same goal for a lot less money.

For the occasional user who needs to cut down a few modest sized trees a year or several cords of firewood, go out and take a look at the Husky 350. It's there best selling saw for a reason as for the price, power, weight and value, it is one of the best "bang for the buck" saws you can buy..

Not what Comsumer Digest says, they say the Stihl 250 is a better saw,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: (Sawtroll I couldn't resist,LOL)

I'm impressed MSH, you've proven my early assumptions of you wrong. Your post is very fair and well thought out. I completely agree with your views that many here are hyper-critical of non-pro saws. Nice job proving me wrong! :)

Same with me, excellent post by Hunky! :clap:

...but there are a few more differenses between the 350 and 353 than just the case material, like snap-off top cover vs screws, adjustable oiler, .1 kW more power, and maybe more - at least it was the last time I looked.......;)

Not what Comsumer Digest says, they say the Stihl 250 is a better saw,:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: (Sawtroll I couldn't resist,LOL)

Well, that is because they actually liked the QCA etc, and ignored that you don't have to clean the air filter on the 350 very often.
They also ignored that the Husky actually performed better in cutting....

....well, that how I recall it, at least........:D :laugh:

A lot.:dizzy:

....and the local Husky dealer is going to LOVE you when you bring in your BIG BOX purchase for him to wrench on. This is not a Stihl vs. Husky vs Dolmar vs Jred thing, it's a Big Box vs Local dealer thing. If you're happy paying rock bottom price on the net or big box, fine, but be prepared for having your service work to be denied by some servicing dealers or at the very least put behind loyal customers that actually drop their hard earned dollars in their establishment for the big ticket items. Good enough to wrench on your saw, but not good enough to buy from. If you wrench on your own stuff, god bless, buy where you will for what you want to pay.

Is a "pro" grade saw overkill for most homeowner sawyers? Yes. But if they can afford it and desire the inheirent longevity built into a pro saw more power to 'em. Both Stihl & Husky sell more than enough consumer/homeowner saws to the uniformed that the few pushed towards pro grade here aren't even a drop in the bucket. I don't think anyone here pushes the seekers for advice into something they don't want to do. If you don't want Pro advice on saws, don't go to a website that is geared to the pro saw operator. Not saying homeowners aren't welcome here, far from it, but when you ask pros what they use on the job and have experience with, that's just what you're going to get.:chainsawguy:

Well said.

Well glad ya said that. Ask Lowes how long you will have to wait fer dat 350 to be fixed:jester: :jester: :jester:

Unbelievable how big value you put on your dealers. Are you a complete idiot
when it comes to using a wrench? I have never ever needed any dealer support on any of my Huskys. What are you guys doing at your dealers all the time? Setting your carb ? Getting screwed on the price for saws and spare parts? Drinking coffe? Given the time you spend at your dealers, the saws you use must be nothing but crap.

To return to the topic: The 350 is a very good saw for it's price. tried one yesterday. If you want to spend less money, it would be my choice instead of the 346/353.

/Peter

I've read that the 350 is very smooth, but have no experience with one myself. How does it compare to a 441 as fas as smoothness?

Same with me, excellent post by Hunky! :clap:

...but there are a few more differences between the 350 and 353 than just the case material, like snap-off top cover vs screws, adjustable oiler, .1 kW more power, and maybe more - at least it was the last time I looked.......;)

But the 350 has the adjustable oiler too, that's why I so easily give up when you say the 350 is better than my 250... :D ;) :D

But the 350 has the adjustable oiler too, that's why I so easily give up when you say the 350 is better than my 250... :D ;) :D

My mistake, was going on memory instead of looking it up.....:pumpkin2:

..... it is a much smoother and nicer saw than the MS250.........:blob2: :biggrinbounce2:

I just checked on ConsumerReports.org They only list sub-46cc saws, so the Husky 350 is not on the list, but the MS250 is, in 6th place . . . . . . . . led by Craftsman 35082 in 4th place. Hmmmmmm

CRchainsaws.jpg

Wow

when it comes to using a wrench? I have never ever needed any dealer support on any of my Huskys. What are you guys doing at your dealers all the time? Setting your carb ? Getting screwed on the price for saws and spare parts? Drinking coffe? Given the time you spend at your dealers, the saws you use must be nothing but crap.

To return to the topic: The 350 is a very good saw for it's price. tried one yesterday. If you want to spend less money, it would be my choice instead of the 346/353.

/Peter

I myself just get parts and like to BS too. I also go around and pickup every power tool in the dealer:cry: Good thing you have never needed dealer support...do you go to lowes for your parts??? Good shot on the carb! Keep it up and I'll really lay into ya:deadhorse:

btw going to pickup my tach today, FROM THE DEALER, lowes didn't have it:dizzy: 2 e's on the end of that coffe too jackazz:hmm3grin2orange:

I myself just get parts and like to BS too. I also go around and pickup every power tool in the dealer:cry: Good thing you have never needed dealer support...do you go to lowes for your parts??? Good shot on the carb! Keep it up and I'll really lay into ya:deadhorse:

btw going to pickup my tach today, FROM THE DEALER, lowes didn't have it:dizzy: 2 e's on the end of that coffe too jackazz:hmm3grin2orange:

Shouldn't pickup be pick up? Thought pickup was a car...

Bars, chains and rim sprockets I buy online. Don't like to pay the dealer's daily beer if I don't have to. That's about the only parts I need.
Seems like you belong to the guys who have big saws for doing timed cookie cuts in the garden? Not so much into professional forestry are you? Reality will catch you up one day too, don't worry...

Why do so many people keep referring to Lowes and home Depot??. Is this the only negative that anyone can come up with re Husqvarna saws??

I really don't get this thinking as this statement is so ridiculous. If someone has an issue with any husky, they can simply go to a local authorized husky dealer to get parts or have their saw worked on. Why the moronic comments like " good luck geting your saw worked on at Lowes" etc.

NOBODY IS GOING TO LOWES TO GET THEIR SAW WORKED ON!!!! They are going to authorized Husky dealers just like the Stihl people do!!

When people keep mentioning Home depot or Lowes, to me, it seems like a desperate attempt to discredit a perfectly good product just because the big box store happens to sell one or two popular smaller models. So what!!.

Home Depot also selss John Deere lawn tractors. Does that mean that john Deere is now junk as well??. I really don't understand this thinking of assuming any product is bad just because a certain store sells it.

Maybe I should toss all of my crappy Milwaukee tools as well. I mean Milwaukee must be crap right? as Home Depot sells it!!.

Personally, I judge a tool on its performance rather than where I purchase it. This makes a lot more sense; at least to me!.

Shouldn't pickup be pick up? Thought pickup was a car...

Bars, chains and rim sprockets I buy online. Don't like to pay the dealer's daily beer if I don't have to. That's about the only parts I need.
Seems like you belong to the guys who have big saws for doing timed cookie cuts in the garden? Not so much into professional forestry are you? Reality will catch you up one day too, don't worry...

I know a few loggers that go to the dealers for service, Husky and Stihl. Down time is money if ya didn't know. Timed cookie cuts?? Are you in professional forestry? I bet that ms170 makes you thousands of dollars each day. Just a small reality check for ya...:)

/Peter

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to turning a wrench, Peter. But when I'm over at my camp in Louisiana for the weekend and need something for one of my saws the internet cannot help me. I drive to my Stihl dealer and he always has what I need. That's why I'm willing to spend the extra few dollars for Orange and White.

Why do so many people keep referring to Lowes and home Depot??. Is this the only negative that anyone can come up with re Husqvarna saws??

I really don't get this thinking as this statement is so ridiculous. If someone has an issue with any husky, they can simply go to a local authorized husky dealer to get parts or have their saw worked on. Why the moronic comments like " good luck geting your saw worked on at Lowes" etc.

NOBODY IS GOING TO LOWES TO GET THEIR SAW WORKED ON!!!! They are going to authorized Husky dealers just like the Stihl people do!!

When people keep mentioning Home depot or Lowes, to me, it seems like a desperate attempt to discredit a perfectly good product just because the big box store happens to sell one or two popular smaller models. So what!!.

Home Depot also selss John Deere lawn tractors. Does that mean that john Deere is now junk as well??. I really don't understand this thinking of assuming any product is bad just because a certain store sells it.

Maybe I should toss all of my crappy Milwaukee tools as well. I mean Milwaukee must be crap right? as Home Depot sells it!!.

Personally, I judge a tool on its performance rather than where I purchase it. This makes a lot more sense; at least to me!.

Most people don't know that when they buy from a box store that they don't service it either. Where ya gonna take that Milwaukee drill when it takes a poop? They will either send it off for who knows how long or just give ya a new one. Why replace a like new 350 when the customer doesn't know the chain break must be off? Like I said if most were like us, chainsaw nuts, they would know to stick with the dealer.

Latest posts

Back