The Genius of Stihl, an Amazing Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like to hear about the steam boilers was that when the first company folded or later. This thread went downhill quick I hope we can turn it around. Stihl did a lot to contribute to what we use today and we owe him some more respect he earned it.

I would like to hear about the steam boilers was that when the first company folded or later. This thread went downhill quick I hope we can turn it around. Stihl did a lot to contribute to what we use today and we owe him some more respect he earned it.

Don't worry Dave, now that the thread seems back on key all that will be covered..

Tom now that the BS is all over with can you go on with the story please...

No fear, I had no intention of letting up regardless of the non-sense. The true 100% story will be told. What Stihl did for chainsaws deserves some reconition.

Last edited:
Ole Stihl might of made the saws......but someone else made then run underwater.....Hahahahahahahaha!......Is that Gypo Logger?

underwater084.jpg

Tom now that the BS is all over with can you go on with the story please...

Who said it was over? You?

Looks like we are all having fun.

Seems I did the best I could to help tom out, If he wanted to post in between what I contributed he would. and he did

Seems he said I was doing a good job, beside I don't mind taken a jab or two.

Is there something that upsets you?

Who said it was over? You?

Looks like we are all having fun.

Seems I did the best I could to help tom out, If he wanted to post in between what I contributed he would. and he did

Seems he said I was doing a good job, beside I don't mind taken a jab or two.

Is there something that upsets you?

Woo hoo, no no no, no time for arguing, get back to work. Yes you was doing good and keep going, don't make me have to fire ya daymmm it, save the fussing for later, get back to the story,GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Woo hoo, no no no, no time for arguing, get back to work. Yes you was doing good and keep going, don't make me have to fire ya daymmm it, save the fussing for later, get back to the story,GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Tells ya what, You lead The night out.

OK No B.S.

Ok now I'm being nice tonight, Why is it a Husky fan has to talk about Stihls History. Don't you Stihlheads know this stuff ?

The true revolution in chain saw technology--and the development that led to the worldwide acceptance of the chain saw--was the Stihl Contra, introduced in 1959. The Contra, which featured a direct drive and diaphragm carburetor, weighed only 26.65 pounds, yet achieved 6 hp.

A number of chain saw manufacturers claim to have built the first chain saw some time in the 1920s, but the fact is that as early as the first decade of that century, a chain saw driven by a water-cooled marine engine was presented for the first time.

attachment.php

The first Husqvarna chain saw: the A90. Launched autumn 1959.
Of course, the chain saws of that time had very little in common with those of today, since they were large, cumbersome machines that required at least two people to operate. It was not until after the Second World War that the development of saws and saw chains made it possible to make chain saws that could be handled by one person. Husqvarna started making chain saws in 1959. So Husqvarna can’t claim to have manufactured the first one. But what Huqvarna can claim is that they created the quintessential modern chain saw, as we know it today. Back then, chain saws were only used for felling and bucking, while de-limbing was still done with an axe.

The equity put up of both partners, which was paid in cash, is 500,000 Marks each. Sounds like alot of money , but inflation is running wild in Germany. The actual value of the money shown as capital is revealed by the amounts that had to be paid for the entry in the commercail register and publication of that entry in the Imperail Gazette. It was 5,775 million Marks, plus 200,000 Marks in corporation tax.

The young engineers are very active. Among other things, they develop forehearth systems which they offer for sale as the Stihl-Hohl System.

The young company is not successful. Although inflation is ended by a currency reform in Nov. 1923, the new currency does not bennift the firm. It makes high operating costs as Andreas Stihl later reports. For this reason the partners decide in March 1926 to wind up the company without going into liquidation, as subsequently stated in the application for deregistration of the firm.

However cancellation of the firms registration in the commercial register is forgotton for the time being. Andreas Stihl was too involved with new projects. Only after receiving a warning that an administrative fine of 20
Reichsmarks will be imposed on each partner was the officially required application submitted to the Registration Court in September. On Dec.14,1926
and entry is made in the Stuttgart commercial register that Stihl&Hohl was
dissvolved. None of our creditors were harmed by the dissolution reports
Andreas Stihl, we paid back our creditors in monthly installments with interest and compound interest by 1932.

Neither the failure of Stihl&Hohl nor the repayments following the dissolution discourage Andreas Stihl from undertaking a second attempt as an enterpreneur. Alone this time, without any partners or any outside assistance. While still in 1926 the Registration Court is waiting for the deregistration of the old company, he opens A.Stihl Engineering Consultancy in Rotebuhlstrafse 43 in Stuttgart.

{more to come}

The now one man business, Stihl on his own, designs low pressure steam boilers. It deals with woodworking machines from Teichert&Sohn in Liegnitz as well as semi-portable engines. The latter are low powered steam engines that are fairly easy to transport. Andreas Stihl becomes the regional agent for E.Ring&Co., Berlin, in July 1926. According to the company, it is the sole manufacture of the Ringo cross cutting, tree felling machine, a chainsaw.

Ringo builds two models. The smaller of the two weighed 36kg and is offered for a cutting potential up to 70cm diameter. The larger model scales in 38.5kg
and is said to be able for cutting up to 100cm diameter. Both models had a Berkamo high powered supercharged engine with a displacement of 175ccn. Its a two stroke motor that runs on gasoline or benzol mixed with engine oil at 10:1 ratio. Its continuous output is quoted at 5.5HP and a max output of 7HP.

The sale of chainsaws is not a big business. There are constant problems with customers. Andreas Stihl therefore gives up selling. He continues to occupy himself, in addition to his other activities, with the design of his own chainsaw. He had been pursuing the idea since 1923. His frequent visits to sawmills and wood processing firms show him that there is need for chainsaws that operate reliably and withstand high loads.

Stihl finds he needs a workshop. He has to manufacture most of the parts for the future saws himself. The workshop is found on the premises of locksmiths Stern Marienplatz, in Stuttgart. There are three vices and a work bench in the rented shop. The consultant engineer Stihl, who has been working alone up to this point, cannot do everything on his own. He hires his first employees, the year is 1927. The first employee is Alwin Fauser. A little later on Karl Gujahr joins him. Both remain in the company for decades until they retire. Gutjahr becomes technical director. Fauser occupies important positions on the commercail side.

They not only work on developing the future saws in the small workshop. Forehearths for low pressure steam boilers are also produced. These are initially the main source of income. Business with them flourishes. Soon more space is needed. Stihl moves to Seyfertstrasse 101A. The office remains in Rotebuhlstrasse. The distance from from the office to the workshop is now alittle farther than to the previous room in Marieplatz. However no one is afriad of walking.

The "A" after the house number in Seyfertstrasse stands for the back of the building. Production takes place here on the ground and first floors. A full order book and the bigger workshop meant that more people can be hired. The workforce now grows to eight.

(there is in truth one other employee, a quadruped. Andreas Stihl was always a great animal lover. His dog Alex, a Boxer, was close by at all times, even in the company. Alex had a favorite place when he wanted quiet and that was in his masters car, an NSU, which was often parked in the yard of 101A. Alex got very annoyed with anyone who disturbed his peace.)
(Source:Alwin Fauser's estate)

{more to come}

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back