The Genius of Stihl, an Amazing Story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tommy...does all this make you Stihl's Minister of Propaganda? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Right now Manual is coming up with alot of info so tonite he has pen in hand and I'll let him continue without agervating him.

Stihl's first one-person saw was introduced in 1950. This saw was still too heavy for comfortable operation, but it led the way to the introduction of the Stihl BLK saw in 1954. At 31 pounds and 4.5 hp, the BLK was the first truly portable chain saw. Two years later, the BLK was chosen by the German army as its official chain saw; the BLK became the standard saw for many other military services and government organizations as well.

Now Belgium has this saw. maybe he could put out a picture or two.

If not go look at the 441. it too is "heavy for comfortable operation"
yes History repeats itself.

Hey Tommy...does all this make you Stihl's Minister of Propaganda? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :chainsawguy: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

It makes me The Champ and leaves you as Woodie, man that was low but hey you deserved it,LOLOLOL

Stihl's first one-person saw was introduced in 1950. This saw was still too heavy for comfortable operation, but it led the way to the introduction of the Stihl BLK saw in 1954. At 31 pounds and 4.5 hp, the . Two years later, the BLK was chosen by the German army as its official chain saw; the BLK became the standard saw for many other military services and government organizations as well.

Now Belgium has this saw. maybe he could put out a picture or two.

If not go look at the 441. it too is "heavy for comfortable operation"
yes History repeats itself.

"BLK was the first truly portable chain saw", continue with the facts, we'll let ya slide on the BS,hehe

"BLK was the first truly portable chain saw", continue with the facts, we'll let ya slide on the BS,hehe

Ok now I'm being nice tonight, Why is it a Husky fan has to talk about Stihls History. Don't you Stihlheads know this stuff ?

The true revolution in chain saw technology--and the development that led to the worldwide acceptance of the chain saw--was the Stihl Contra, introduced in 1959. The Contra, which featured a direct drive and diaphragm carburetor, weighed only 26.65 pounds, yet achieved 6 hp. Stihl's sales boomed, and production rose from 104 to 500 saws per day by 1964. By then, the company was outgrowing its plant, and a second facility was built in Neustadt. The company's workforce grew to over 1,000. U.S. and Canadian demand surged with the introduction of the Stihl Lightning saw, prompting the company to open its first North American warehouses.

Ok now I'm being nice tonight, Why is it a Husky fan has to talk about Stihls History. Don't you Stihlheads know this stuff ?

The true revolution in chain saw technology--and the development that led to the worldwide acceptance of the chain saw--was the Stihl Contra, introduced in 1959. The Contra, which featured a direct drive and diaphragm carburetor, weighed only 26.65 pounds, yet achieved 6 hp. Stihl's sales boomed, and production rose from 104 to 500 saws per day by 1964. By then, the company was outgrowing its plant, and a second facility was built in Neustadt. The company's workforce grew to over 1,000. U.S. and Canadian demand surged with the introduction of the Stihl Lightning saw, prompting the company to open its first North American warehouses.

Your doing good Manual. Keep going. See I didn't get that kind of encouragement. Keep it going, when you get tired I'll step in and keep it going...

Besides the technology, the other part of Stihl's success is their unwaivering commitment to the dealer channel. I'm not sure how this will play out long term in the world of online but their unwaivering support has served them equally as well as their engineering prowess.

Besides the technology, the other part of Stihl's success is their unwaivering commitment to the dealer channel. I'm not sure how this will play out long term in the world of online but their unwaivering support has served them equally as well as their engineering prowess.

If other's would have held to it, just think how strong the dealers could be today.

Hey you are actually doing a good job. Keep it up

that's what Woodie tells him in the closet (sorry, I couldn't pass it up)

Yes he is, he's doing a great job!! I'm being serious, he's putting it outthere really good, my hat is off to him at the moment.

Yes he is, he's doing a great job!! I'm being serious, he's putting it outthere really good, my hat is off to him at the moment.

Ok now this is where tom smiles from ear to ear.

In 1965, Stihl introduced an innovation in chain saw design with its antivibration system, which absorbed the impact of the saw's vibration, allowing steadier and less fatiguing control. This design change was quickly copied by Stihl's competitors. Three years later, Stihl added an electronic ignition system to its saws, improving their reliability. Other design changes included a more efficient chain lubrication system, an inertial chain braking system, which stopped the chain in the event of kickback, and a master control lever, which allowed the user to control the saw's starting and stopping functions without releasing the saw's handle.

Ok now this is where tom smiles from ear to ear.

In 1965, Stihl introduced an innovation in chain saw design with its antivibration system, which absorbed the impact of the saw's vibration, allowing steadier and less fatiguing control. This design change was quickly copied by Stihl's competitors. Three years later, Stihl added an electronic ignition system to its saws, improving their reliability. Other design changes included a more efficient chain lubrication system, an inertial chain braking system, which stopped the chain in the event of kickback, and a master control lever, which allowed the user to control the saw's starting and stopping functions without releasing the saw's handle.

Keep going, your doing great!!!

attachment.php

The engine is a 131B, 14hp, 2 stroke, air cooled diesel, with 5 forward gears (one being very low speed) and one reverse.
Ooooooo Manual, that is so sweet a machine! Wonder if there be any out there running stihl? I loves old machinery like that man, cool pic! :clap:

:cheers:

(awaitin' the rest of story gents!)

Serge

By 1971, Stihl's 2,000-strong workforce was producing 340,000 saws annually. In that year, Andreas Stihl's son, Hans Peter, took over as head of the company. Andreas Stihl died two years later. By then the company had added a new plant in Prüm, and a plant in Wiechs am Randen, near the Swiss border. The company's first overseas plant, Andreas Stihl Moto-Serras Ltda. in Sao Leopoldo, Brazil, began chain saw production in 1973. That year, Stihl, with 2,500 employees, saw its revenues top DM 222 million.

This is as far as I can go.
Seems this site loading to slow tonight for me.

attachment.php

The engine is a 131B, 14hp, 2 stroke, air cooled diesel, with 5 forward gears (one being very low speed) and one reverse.

Ooooooo Manual, that is so sweet a machine! Wonder if there be any out there running stihl? I loves old machinery like that man, cool pic! :clap:

(awaitin' the rest of story gents!)

Serge

Yes it runs.
It was stripped, sand blasted, repaired, restored and given a 2-pack paint job. The tractor celebrated its debut at The Cranky Handle Rally at Morpeth, NSW, where several faults occurred, and the tractor proved hard to start.

The next outing was T.O.M.M Classic Tractor Trek, where it happily performed trouble-free.

By 1971, Stihl's 2,000-strong workforce was producing 340,000 saws annually. In that year, Andreas Stihl's son, Hans Peter, took over as head of the company. Andreas Stihl died two years later. By then the company had added a new plant in Prüm, and a plant in Wiechs am Randen, near the Swiss border. The company's first overseas plant, Andreas Stihl Moto-Serras Ltda. in Sao Leopoldo, Brazil, began chain saw production in 1973. That year, Stihl, with 2,500 employees, saw its revenues top DM 222 million.

This is as far as I can go.
Seems this site loading to slow tonight for me.

Ya did great, get some sleep. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes it runs.
It was stripped, sand blasted, repaired, restored and given a 2-pack paint job. The tractor celebrated its debut at The Cranky Handle Rally at Morpeth, NSW, where several faults occurred, and the tractor proved hard to start.

The next outing was T.O.M.M Classic Tractor Trek, where it happily performed trouble-free.
It is a classic beauty man, here it'd be workin' alla time :D
Beautiful!

Serge

Back