The Prodding Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called the Forest Service the other day to ask about a Post and Pole permit. I asked the dude if it was okay to sell a huge chunk of land to the Red Chinese like they were doing in Idaho. He got all mad, and started carrying on about them brokeback potato diggers ruining the country. Smart Forest Service guy.

He probably thought you were trying to get a permit for your illegal activities but get real my man! You will never get a permit for tying a sheep to a POST so you can POLE the wool out of it! On to the Brokeback deal, I have never watched it and never will but what I have gathered from news reels and the grapevine gave me the notion that It was filmed in Montana. I also heard that you were Heath Ledger's stunt butt. Know I know what you meant when you were saying that your new gig was a real pain in the ass!!!

Man, how did I miss this whole thread until now?

Haven't seen Pat on here in a while, he must be real busy sittin in the processor, staying warm, and trying not to spill coffee and Kool-Aid on his brand new crispy Hickory shirt and sprinkling kitty litter on the tracks so he doesn't slip while climbing out of the cab in his Velcro's :hmm3grin2orange:

Why you little Sap Sucker!!!! Actually I have been chasing on the landing for the T-Bird since Tuesday. One of the crew Had a big blood clot or something of that effect and they had to have a stint put into an artery. It looks like I will probably be chasing all of next week too. Works for me.....I'm not complaining just yet anyway. The pay is right and even if it weren't it's rewarding to be able to humor this high powered rigging crew with my antics. I know very little about yarder logging. Just today at quitting time I figured I would impress the crew with how well I have been paying attention, so when the yarder engineer dropped the big old 3000 lb. Diesel burning carriage on the ground I grabbed a chain and hustled over to it so I could chain it up to the sky line so the carriage could sit level over the weekend. I had a real impressive time that would have been remarkable if I would have hooked the chain on the uphill side of the carriage instead of the downhill side!!!!!!lol

Happy 4th of July my fine friends. I sure do enjoy all of this bantering back and forth. It's one of my most favorite pastimes. Seriously though, I love this great country and I like the tar out of a bunch of em living in it and am so thankful, grateful, and beholden to my forefathers for having the foresight, ingenuity, and intestinal fortitude to carve out this great nation! I get goosebumps every time I think about are countrymen breaking ties with the old King and giving him a big ole whoopin. I do not agree with most of my countryman's views, but love the fact that they are free to express em. Happy Independence day my friends! Oh yeah...your all a bunch of DUSHEBAGS!

I agree completely. So much so that whenever I see a man in uniform I walk up to him and shake his hand and say "Thank you for serving my country". Did this to a master gunny sergeant the other day and he about fell over. Said "thank you for those kind words" as he actually teared up. All you guys here are are big men. I challenge you to think about this and maybe do the same. I can't think of a finer gift to a service man than to have one of his countryman give him gratitude for his sacrifice.

He probably thought you were trying to get a permit for your illegal activities but get real my man! You will never get a permit for tying a sheep to a POST so you can POLE the wool out of it! On to the Brokeback deal, I have never watched it and never will but what I have gathered from news reels and the grapevine gave me the notion that It was filmed in Montana. I also heard that you were Heath Ledger's stunt butt. Know I know what you meant when you were saying that your new gig was a real pain in the ass!!!

That term is going to make me laugh all day today.

Why you little Sap Sucker!!!! Actually I have been chasing on the landing for the T-Bird since Tuesday. One of the crew Had a big blood clot or something of that effect and they had to have a stint put into an artery. It looks like I will probably be chasing all of next week too. Works for me.....I'm not complaining just yet anyway. The pay is right and even if it weren't it's rewarding to be able to humor this high powered rigging crew with my antics. I know very little about yarder logging. Just today at quitting time I figured I would impress the crew with how well I have been paying attention, so when the yarder engineer dropped the big old 3000 lb. Diesel burning carriage on the ground I grabbed a chain and hustled over to it so I could chain it up to the sky line so the carriage could sit level over the weekend. I had a real impressive time that would have been remarkable if I would have hooked the chain on the uphill side of the carriage instead of the downhill side!!!!!!lol

hahaha nice, I probably would've looked like a bigger ass standing under the carriage with my arms out yelling to the yarder operator "YEAH, JUST LET IT DOWN REAL SLOW I'M PRETTY SURE THIS WAS ON SEASON 3 OF AX MEN...... YEAH, NICE AND SLOW, I GOT IT"

Well, all you had to do was spin it around! If you couldn't do that, you could turn the yarder around.
Here's a carriage made in the land of spuds.
View attachment 189244

Last edited:
Well, all you had to do was spin it around! If you couldn't do that, you could turn the yarder around.
Here's a carriage made in the land of spuds.
View attachment 189244

Yeah, I have seen a bunch of these. I'm not sure if Maki built this carriage or not but it is about 3x's bigger that the one in this pic. Wowzers probably knows all about this carriage. All I know it that they had it custom built and the yarder engineer told me that it was 3700 lbs. I will take a picture of it next Tuesday so you know I aint foolin'.

Yeah, I have seen a bunch of these. I'm not sure if Maki built this carriage or not but it is about 3x's bigger that the one in this pic. Wowzers probably knows all about this carriage. All I know it that they had it custom built and the yarder engineer told me that it was 3700 lbs. I will take a picture of it next Tuesday so you know I aint foolin'.

I do not doubt you. That Maki carriage was one of the smaller ones, I believe. I have often thought that I would like one of the smaller carriages placed gently in the back of my pickup for winter driving. Lashed down well, of course. Hmmmm. I'll type it in since I can't seem to anything that works on here anymore.

Insert Smiley Face. Let's see what this button does.....:smile2:

Oh, and that carriage in the picture was pretty new. I met Mr. Maki who showed up to help teach how to run it. A couple weeks later, I think the crew wanted to go fishing because I watched the soon to be fired hooktender let it ram into the tail tree over and over.... Later on, the yarder engineer forgot to slow it down over the jack and it went flying into the woods. They made quite a few trips to Pierce, Idaho with it due to human errors.

Last edited:

My cousin John fell timber for over 25 years. . . The last side he was on, the green yarder operator didn't set the brake, and dropped one of them 3500 pound carriages on him (from the top of the yarder sheave). He was cutting snipe and bumping knots on the landing. Hit him so hard it drove a choker mouse through his leg and out his backside -- amongst other injuries. It retired him, and he's lucky to be amongst the living.

I do not doubt you. That Maki carriage was one of the smaller ones, I believe. I have often thought that I would like one of the smaller carriages placed gently in the back of my pickup for winter driving. Lashed down well, of course. Hmmmm. I'll type it in since I can't seem to anything that works on here anymore.

Insert Smiley Face. Let's see what this button does.....:smile2:

Oh, and that carriage in the picture was pretty new. I met Mr. Maki who showed up to help teach how to run it. A couple weeks later, I think the crew wanted to go fishing because I watched the soon to be fired hooktender let it ram into the tail tree over and over.... Later on, the yarder engineer forgot to slow it down over the jack and it went flying into the woods. They made quite a few trips to Pierce, Idaho with it due to human errors.

:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

IGNORE THE DOGS. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PLAY FETCH. IGNORE THE TENNIS BALLS. FIGHT THE POWER OF THE TENNIS BALLS!

Since you said you were doing what dogs do....

You left out the part about ignoring the urge to go to licking his...'.! Here is a little philosipy I give old Ugly Dog....You can lick your friends and you can lick your ...'s but you can't lick your friends ...'s

One time Cody aka Tarzan and I were B.S'n and Ugly Hound went to licking his tackle something fierce! I elbowed ol' Cody and said..."I sure wish I could do that!" Cody replied and I quote.."Me too but I'm awful concerned that ol' Ugly Dog might bite me!"

One time Cody aka Tarzan and I were B.S'n and Ugly Hound went to licking his tackle something fierce! I elbowed ol' Cody and said..."I sure wish I could do that!" Cody replied and I quote.."Me too but I'm awful concerned that ol' Ugly Dog might bite me!"

Oh dear. I only came in to cool off a bit, not to get the hiccups from laughing. The Used Dog is missing equipment. I had him tutored after he came in the house on day 1 and initiated my boots. The good thing was that they were the rubber boots and not the Kuliens.

Then this is probably the thread for me to respond to the other thread, the one about religion, God.

But, not yet.

I'd be a commie if every one else didn't suck so bad.

How about that instead.

Well, not everyone, I'm sure a number of folks on here would make good comrades.

Hammer, I usually get ya and like most of what you have to say but for the life of me I cannot figure this post out. I have reread it and reread it and my simple mind cannot inturperet this som beach! lol What I'm trying to figure out is the line..."I'd be a commie if every one else didn't suck so bad." Sorry I had to ask but it's driving me nuts......Please try not to be such a dushebag in the future! Yes Randy Mac....that is the way I'll spell it till I die!!!

I always have to be careful ever since I was in the Navy I've always called my toilet kit my douchebag. As this this thread takes a decided turn for the worse:biggrinbounce2:

Sounds about like par for the course from Cody, lol.

Oh dear. I only came in to cool off a bit, not to get the hiccups from laughing. The Used Dog is missing equipment. I had him tutored after he came in the house on day 1 and initiated my boots. The good thing was that they were the rubber boots and not the Kuliens.

Don't disrespect the lady's boots!!! Lol
I believe that a few ladies wanted to fix me but they could not catch me!

My days on the rigging crew are almost over!!! They hired a guy that will start Monday and they want me there to show him the ropes....Don't know what the heck I'm going to show him other than my Chasing Philosophy. "There's always something to do so don't get caught sitting. If you get caught sitting on your ass and there are any dull chains that need sharpened, kinked chokers that need straighten, saws that need repaired, coils to be made, broke chokers to cut the rings out, haywire that needs spliced, (I never learned how to splice but guarantee I would have.)etc,etc. then your not worth your wages, and run to those chokers man!! Run!!! We can't make no money with the carriage on the landing!!! I'm so damned glad to be back on the saw Tues.

Latest posts

Back