Three saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with most of this, but Dano pokes the lion in the very first line of this thread. I have picked at him in several threads, but always in jest and have never gone beyond making fun of his garage follies. But for some reason Dano is dead-set on getting banned and it seems he got his wish. It is unfortunate for this to happen to someone who was one of the earliest members, though that in itself doesn't give a person any special latitude in acceptable behavior. Taking anything said on this board personally almost always ends up badly. You are better to laugh along with everyone or ignore it. When you make fun of yourself, you take away the ammo of the attacker. Dano also needs to learn not to take on the mods, at least openly. They have a job, and in general it is done in an equitable fashion. Calling them out publicly, rightly or wrongly, will only end badly for one of the parties.

If you want a newbs view.

I don't know all the history of dano, but it sure seemed to me that he was being singled out. Look at the the first five responses, at least three of them flamed him. i didn't see where they were called outed for their actions.

i am not new to online forums and have moderated myself in the past. It is a thankless time consuming job, BUT in my opinion, it seems you didn't take your own advice. He gets called out and is supposed to laugh it off. The mods get called out and you give him a vacation, isn't that a little hypocritcal? I am not trying to start whizzing match, i am just giving what i feel is a somewhat unbiased opinion as i do not know any of the players or the history. Heck, i have a hard time figuring out who the moderators even are.

I will not post anymore on the subject and these are best left to die a fading death into the depths of the forum's history.

Well, if people had taken this thread at face value as a typical "I got a new saw" thread, sent him rep and just asked for pics, we'd be back talking about oil ratios now. I think he started the thread in an attempt to play well with others. Did he have a string of silly threads recently, sure. 80% of my posts are just to hear myself type, and add nothing to the site. If I was a new noobie instead of a "seasoned" noobie, and I saw this, I'd be scared to ask "my saw is hard to start" questions. Does Dano bring a bunch of it upon himself, absolutely. What would he have to do to post something without being teased? Thick skin is needed, but if every time I posted something 20 guys piled on in a not super friendly way, I'd quit posting (don't get any ideas!). Is redemption possible on ArboristSite?

I agree completely with this. I am not on AS nearly as much as I used to be, but I check it out pretty regularly to pass time and see what folks are talking about. I know nothing about dano other than what he posts and frankly, he was slapped right out of the gate on this one. There are a lot of people here that I have a lot of respect for based on their willingness to share time and ideas, it saddens me to see them act like a group of of schoolyard bullies. I wonder if the people taking pot shots right of the bat in this thread were reprimanded for their part. I agree also with Neil that the Mods do an equitable job, but this guy needs to be cut a little slack.

Again, Dan pokes the lion in the very first line of this thread. If you read the entirety of his posts since he remembered his long unused password, you will find that most are void of meaningful information, and that is by his own admission. Now, it's not a requirement that everyone makes every post helpful. If that were the case, this place would have a few dozen posts per day. But when you are thin skinned, post a series of inane threads, contribute very little and brag about that fact, poke at those that call you out for bragging that you contribute little, and then get upset at those that call you out for your efforts, then you shouldn't expect your behavior to go unrequited. If this thread had begun with "I got a new saw, it's a 660", then none of the hubub would in this thread would have occurred and Dano would be on his way to recovering some credibility with his detractors.

Again, Dan pokes the lion in the very first line of this thread. If you read the entirety of his posts since he remembered his long unused password, you will find that most are void of meaningful information, and that is by his own admission. Now, it's not a requirement that everyone makes every post helpful. If that were the case, this place would have a few dozen posts per day. But when you are thin skinned, post a series of inane threads, contribute very little and brag about that fact, poke at those that call you out for bragging that you contribute little, and then get upset at those that call you out for your efforts, then you shouldn't expect your behavior to go unrequited. If this thread had begun with "I got a new saw, it's a 660", then none of the hubub would in this thread would have occurred and Dano would be on his way to recovering some credibility with his detractors.

Well said.

I do hope that no ones get offended by this thread. It is about chainsaws, and only chainsaws.

This is me right now.......:msp_smile:

Have you ever cut a tree?

Way to go Dano, how big is that garage of yours? :rock::rock:

I'm studying up on it. ;)

I personally don't see Dano's first line as being inflammatory. And if anybody else posted about a new 660 I think the responses would have been different. I think he actually tried to shrug off the garage and tree stuff for the first page. Does he lose patience and lash out at moderators (which is never a good idea), sure.
The garage thing, saw starting thing, and tree cutting thing were funny. The first 20 times, but they are not as funny now, and only seem to cause trouble. This is the only internet forum I play on, very much enjoy the selflessness and friendship demonstrated, and get angry when it all goes to ####. I may not deserve it, but when he comes back, do me and the others who don't enjoy the fighting a personal favor and lay off the garage/starting/tree falling stuff unless he brings it up. Dano likes saws and guns, we all should be able to find some common ground here

If you want a newbs view.

I don't know all the history of dano, but it sure seemed to me that he was being singled out. Look at the the first five responses, at least three of them flamed him. i didn't see where they were called outed for their actions.

i am not new to online forums and have moderated myself in the past. It is a thankless time consuming job, BUT in my opinion, it seems you didn't take your own advice. He gets called out and is supposed to laugh it off. The mods get called out and you give him a vacation, isn't that a little hypocritcal? I am not trying to start whizzing match, i am just giving what i feel is a somewhat unbiased opinion as i do not know any of the players or the history. Heck, i have a hard time figuring out who the moderators even are.

I will not post anymore on the subject and these are best left to die a fading death into the depths of the forum's history.

You're new here and we understand your concern. We also appreciate you sharing those concerns. Maybe AS is different than other sites you've been involved with. In fact, I'd just about bet on it. As far as members being flamed...what you read was mild, believe me.

You might want to spend more time here reading posts and getting a feel for the place before you start condemning the way things work. There's a lot of kidding that goes on and some of it gets a little rough. That's not always a bad thing but some people aren't used to interacting with others that way. If a guy is thin skinned and can't take a little criticism he probably won't be happy here.

And, for whatever it's worth, we have a very small moderating staff but we try to stay up with what's going on. Are we perfect? No. Do we do the best we can with the resources available and the time allotted? Always.

Referring to the actions of the moderator, in this case me, as "hypocritical" doesn't serve any practical purpose and merely points out your unfamiliarity with AS as a whole. Because you're new you'll get a free pass on complaining about site moderation...this time.

Stick around and learn about this place. It's very unique. There's a wealth of information available here and the majority of the members are knowledgeable and helpful.

But it isn't Cub Scouts.

I do hope that no ones get offended by this thread. It is about chainsaws, and only chainsaws.

My current stable consists of an MS-250, MS-261, and now, my latest acquisition, a brand new MS-660R Magnum.

I had arranged for a dealer to secure me a MS-461R. Even gave him a hefty deposit. The dealer called and asked me to stop by yesterday before he closed. That was one of my errands that I absolutely had to run.

Long story made short, he couldn't get the MS-461R. After some goodwill negotiation back and forth, I left with the 660R Magnum in hand.

I got it for quite a bit less than what I had agreed to pay for the 461R.

This is me right now.......:msp_smile:

Congrats, can't beat a great deal on a great saw.

I am probably guilty of being an instigator from time to time, but I have learned over the years to know when to just shut up. Being new here I have spent much of my time reading and as Gologit has said... get the feel of the place. Previous post in a different thread by dan I thought were merely "garage talk" until it got heated and I stopped posting. Gologit.. I respect what you do here and for a living. Thank you and the other moderators for what you do.

I am amazed at how easily someone gets banned around here. Dano was provoked into getting banned in two consecutive threads he started and both started in what I took as good intentions. I don't know what he has posted in the past and I don't much care, this is the internet and as far as I know everyone is full of it.

It seems to me as if this place is being run like Nazi Germany and I never know what will offend a moderator (I don't even know what a moderator is exactly nor do I care) and get me banned.

If a thread becomes heated or argumentative then it goes five pages. If I post a problem with a chainsaw I get two replies. It is easy to see what makes for a popular thread. Now we will all talk about what an ####### Dano is but he started two threads that went five pages and got him banned. It makes me think we all kind of like this maybe just a little.

This place has become political and judgmental and I will not be a part of it anymore. I may be lurking as a visitor but I will never be back as 2rod511. Many thanks to any help I have received.

I am amazed at how easily someone gets banned around here. Dano was provoked into getting banned in two consecutive threads he started and both started in what I took as good intentions. I don't know what he has posted in the past and I don't much care, this is the internet and as far as I know everyone is full of it.

It seems to me as if this place is being run like Nazi Germany and I never know what will offend a moderator (I don't even know what a moderator is exactly nor do I care) and get me banned.

If a thread becomes heated or argumentative then it goes five pages. If I post a problem with a chainsaw I get two replies. It is easy to see what makes for a popular thread. Now we will all talk about what an ####### Dano is but he started two threads that went five pages and got him banned. It makes me think we all kind of like this maybe just a little.

This place has become political and judgmental and I will not be a part of it anymore. I may be lurking as a visitor but I will never be back as 2rod511. Many thanks to any help I have received.

[video=youtube;v7XE9JMZAj4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v7XE9JMZAj4[/video]

Last edited:

One thing that will definitely offend a moderator is being accused of running things "like Nazi Germany".

Yup...I think that little label would offend just about anybody.

And I think you're right about leaving. You made a good choice. We'll help you along.

It seems to me as if this place is being run like Nazi Germany and I never know what will offend a moderator, so I'll just play it safe and post the most offensive comparison I can think of.

Good plan.

Last edited:
well moving on now from those references.
Now that my 660 good and broke in, (run outside in some decent Washington wood) modification time, your thoughts.

Posts like this make me wonder when people are going to learn. Don't piss on the bigger dogs tree.

Back