to clean or not to clean a chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Foghorn

Foghorn

ArboristSite Lurker
does anyone ever clean their chains? If so, how and what do you use? Do you then spray or soak it in anything to keep it from rusting if you don't use it right away?

Thanks - Foghorn

rb_in_va

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Since I have a case of Fluid Film I might spray it with that. No need to soak it cause it will stick.

Any of you other guys use this stuff?

bump_r

bump_r

ArboristSite Guru
Sometimes my chains get dusty and funky from hanging on the wall for too long, sometimes they get a build-up of sap on the top plate of the cutters, and some guys find sharpening debris (metal patrs, grinding wheel/stone dust) objectionable. A shot of carb and choke cleaner or brake cleaner usually does the job, followed by a dousing of WD40. You're supposed to immerse a clean de-oiled chain in oil overnight, but I don't go that far with it.

I just don't need all that "stuff" making it's way into my cases or toolbox.

B_Turner

B_Turner

Addicted to ArboristSite
The worse chains I see is when workers don't quit cutting once the chain gets dull. My brother was here recently sharpening some co workers chains that got cooked from being dull in big fir. Even the straps was baked in hard crud. I think that guy needs to be dope slapped.

If I have a chain that is a bit dirty I usually just run the saw a little bit before cutting to oil it up good. If it was as cooked as the ones I saw when my brother was here I would have thrown them in the parts bin for a later lifetime. Chains off the reel is about 15bucks and not worth a lot of time screwing with.

stihl 440

stihl 440

Addicted to ArboristSite
I also clean the crud off my bars for looks also. My chains always stay preety good. Probably because I don't run dull chains. Other than the resin buildup on the top plate of the cutters from cutting green white or red oak.:)

kevinj

kevinj

Whatarya, Goofy?
One good idea for cleaning the pitch that grows on saw blades after awhile, and it will probably also work on chain, is, E-Z OFF. The oven cleaner.

Freakingstang

Freakingstang

Doctor Freakinstein
The only time I clean my chains is before sharpening then in the shop, and only with square filed chains, as dirt, sap and grease take a toll on even the best chisel bit files.

just something else i like to be anal about, as if I didn't have enough other things to do.... :laugh:

SRT-Tech

SRT-Tech

ArboristSite Guru
end of the day i spray the chain down with WD40 , let er soak for a few minutes, then blip the throttle and spray off the oil. Wipe the bar , done.

KASH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
If its only been an easy day cutting small timber I give it a light spray of LPS on days when were in the big stuff and she"s had a hard day i"ll gently remove her chain slowly bring to a rolling boil a pan of organic chain oil.Kinda give her a well deserved bubble bath.
Always remember fellas to wash your hands with organic soap BEFORE you put your work gloves on.
KASH

314epw

314epw

ArboristSite Operative
oven cleaner

I use oven cleaner and WD40.I use the cheap oven cleaner from wally World $1 a can goes along way.Then spray with WD40

Latest posts