Tool Forum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nate,Thanks for your information and pictures on the rust removal!From the pictures you posted the file looks like the new steel gray colour that files seem to have when you but them new.Wonder if lemon juice would work is it not acidic as well.I think that I heard of using a cut side of lemon to rub on carbon steel knife blades to remove rust.I am not positive on this tip as I have never tried it. If anyone wants to correct me, feel free to do so!Rust was one of the main reasons they quit using carbon steel blades in the meat industry,as when I started in that line of work there was still a great number of manufacturers still using carbon steel.We used to keep the rust at bay with mineral oil.As the years passed stainless steel was getting better at holding an edge and was introduced more and more in the industry.
Lawrence

I would take a carbon blade over a stainless blade for sharpness any time, but in the food industry they have to be careful of contamination etc.

Nate,Thanks for your information and pictures on the rust removal!From the pictures you posted the file looks like the new steel gray colour that files seem to have when you but them new.Wonder if lemon juice would work is it not acidic as well.I think that I heard of using a cut side of lemon to rub on carbon steel knife blades to remove rust.I am not positive on this tip as I have never tried it. If anyone wants to correct me, feel free to do so!Rust was one of the main reasons they quit using carbon steel blades in the meat industry,as when I started in that line of work there was still a great number of manufacturers still using carbon steel.We used to keep the rust at bay with mineral oil.As the years passed stainless steel was getting better at holding an edge and was introduced more and more in the industry.
Lawrence

Pure lemon juice does contain citric acid. . . It would be a good experiment to see it's effect on a file. I'm very pleased with the vinegar, and intend on using it again in the future.

Pulled this from Google on Citric acid:
Citric acid is the active ingredient in some bathroom and kitchen cleaning solutions. A solution with a 6% concentration of citric acid will remove hard water stains from glass without scrubbing. In industry it is used to dissolve rust from steel.

I'll also point out that the shiny marks (where the teeth were starting to round over) on the file are gone -- that tells me that material was removed by the vinegar, essentially sharpening the file.

Here's a screen-shot of what the file looked like before the vinegar:

attachment.php

Pure lemon juice does contain citric acid. . . It would be a good experiment to see it's effect on a file. I'm very pleased with the vinegar, and intend on using it again in the future.

Citric acid is the active ingredient in some bathroom and kitchen cleaning solutions. A solution with a 6% concentration of citric acid will remove hard water stains from glass without scrubbing. In industry it is used to dissolve rust from steel.

I'll also point out that the shiny marks (where the teeth were starting to round over) on the file are gone -- that tells me that material was removed by the vinegar, essentially sharpening the file.

attachment.php

It's also what's used to make sour sugar-coated candies sour. Maybe candy really DOES rot our teeth! :hmm3grin2orange:

compression tester

would anyone be in a position to point me towards the best deal (not just price, but value for dollar; reliability, durability, quality of build etc ) on a compression tester kit?

Last edited:

attachment.php

Two weeks ago I put a chisel I had found buried in the back yard into a jar with vinegar. Not only did it remove the rust but it too is sharp as a razor. Think I'm going to play around with the vinegar/lemon juice a bit and see what I can figure out.

Two weeks ago I put a chisel I had found buried in the back yard into a jar with vinegar. Not only did it remove the rust but it too is sharp as a razor. Think I'm going to play around with the vinegar/lemon juice a bit and see what I can figure out.

Yup, that acetic acid in the vinegar sure does work good. . . Ya just gotta be patient with it -- as it's not as speedy as acids in greater concentration. That's something I also like about vinegar, it's safe to work with, and use in the house.

Citric acid can be purchased as a powder. . . Just be careful when mixing the two acids to make one of a greater concentration.

Hell, I don't even know what happens when mixing acetic and citric acids together?? Be careful!!

Last week when I got groceries I found a 2L jug of Allen's "Cleaning Vinegar". I'd never seen the stuff before, but it's 10% acetic acid instead of the regular 5%. I've seen 7% "Pickling Vinegar" before and it's pretty good too, but never the 10% stuff. It sure takes hard water scale off of dishes and tile quick though! I haven't had a chance to try any de-rusting with it yet though. I'm leaning towards the electrolysis method with a lot of my old tools (especially the taps & dies) because most of them will need degreasing before using an acid of any sort, and the NaOH electrolytic bath should take care of both the grease AND the rust.

Last week when I got groceries I found a 2L jug of Allen's "Cleaning Vinegar". I'd never seen the stuff before, but it's 10% acetic acid instead of the regular 5%. I've seen 7% "Pickling Vinegar" before and it's pretty good too, but never the 10% stuff. It sure takes hard water scale off of dishes and tile quick though! I haven't had a chance to try any de-rusting with it yet though. I'm leaning towards the electrolysis method with a lot of my old tools (especially the taps & dies) because most of them will need degreasing before using an acid of any sort, and the NaOH electrolytic bath should take care of both the grease AND the rust.

Thanks for the heads up on the 10% stuff. . . I'm gonna see if I can get it here. :cheers:

Something I should point out - many of our American friends may not realize that vinegar is a staple condiment here in Canada. I know because a couple times when I've been your side of the border and asked for vinegar for my fries, the waitress looked at me like I just grew an extra eye in my forehead or something. At a Denny's in LA on my grad class trip, the waitress brought back a shaker of Red Wine vinegar for me... WTF??? LOL. Malt vinegar is a must for really good homemade fries though. Mmmmmm... Making me crave a visit to New York Fries now. Too bad that's a 3 hour drive away.

10% vinegar on fries might be pushing the envelope though...

Something else to note about vinegar is that it's often the best cure for heartburn and indigestion. A lot of people think they have acid reflux and take Tums/Rolaids like they're candy without talking to their doctor, which produces an alkaline environment in your stomach that hurts just as badly and doesn't digest food worth a dime. More often than not, a teaspoon of vinegar will get rid of heartburn better than antacids. It sounds counter-intuitive until you realize a lot of heartburn is caused by not enough acid and your stomach working overtime trying to produce more. I know a couple old folks that swear by this, and I told my uncle about it and it helped him out a lot. Took him a while to get adjusted to not taking the antacids but he's a lot better now.

Something I should point out - many of our American friends may not realize that vinegar is a staple condiment here in Canada. I know because a couple times when I've been your side of the border and asked for vinegar for my fries, the waitress looked at me like I just grew an extra eye in my forehead or something. At a Denny's in LA on my grad class trip, the waitress brought back a shaker of Red Wine vinegar for me... WTF??? LOL. Malt vinegar is a must for really good homemade fries though. Mmmmmm... Making me crave a visit to New York Fries now. Too bad that's a 3 hour drive away.

Something else to note about vinegar is that it's often the best cure for heartburn and indigestion. A lot of people think they have acid reflux and take Tums/Rolaids like they're candy without talking to their doctor, which produces an alkaline environment in your stomach that hurts just as badly and doesn't digest food worth a dime. More often than not, a teaspoon of vinegar will get rid of heartburn better than antacids. It sounds counter-intuitive until you realize a lot of heartburn is caused by not enough acid and your stomach working overtime trying to produce more. I know a couple old folks that swear by this, and I told my uncle about it and it helped him out a lot. Took him a while to get adjusted to not taking the antacids but he's a lot better now.

I'm a huge vinegar lover on food. . . Never tried the fries thing though, I think I'll have a go at it.

Rep worthy post Brad. :cheers:

We're big into vinegar on fries and also seafood in Oz as well. We even have Salt and Vinegar flavor potato crisps. I like using pickling vinegar on fries - it's about 8% acetic acid. I also like lemon juice on fries and prefer it on seafood over vinegar. At home we use balsamic vinegar and olive oil for for salad dressing.

If you want to get strong acetic acid solution to remove rust quickly use pure acetic acid diluted to about 20% really gets things happening quickly - but not quite as quickly as hydrochloric. I keep a drum of a dilute mix of hydrochloric and nitric acid and that strips rust off in about half an hour. Be careful though, pure acetic acid is very nasty stuff and eats skin surprisingly quickly.

The NIH (National Institutes of Health) have done meta-studies (Studies of Studies) on home remedies and two two that stand out as head and shoulders above all other home remedies are the health benefits of garlic, this one is a standout, - and the health benefits of vinegar. To cure the common cold a quarter of a cup of cider vinegar diluted to a cup of water was found to be as successful as modern cold treatments.

We're big into vinegar on fries and also seafood in Oz as well. We even have Salt and Vinegar flavor potato crisps. I like using pickling vinegar on fries - it's about 8% acetic acid. I also like lemon juice on fries and prefer it on seafood over vinegar. At home we use balsamic vinegar and olive oil for for salad dressing.

If you want to get strong acetic acid solution to remove rust quickly use pure acetic acid diluted to about 20% really gets things happening quickly - but not quite as quickly as hydrochloric. I keep a drum of a dilute mix of hydrochloric and nitric acid and that strips rust off in about half an hour. Be careful though, pure acetic acid is very nasty stuff and eats skin surprisingly quickly.

The NIH (National Institutes of Health) have done meta-studies (Studies of Studies) on home remedies and two two that stand out as head and shoulders above all other home remedies are the health benefits of garlic, this one is a standout, - and the health benefits of vinegar. To cure the common cold a quarter of a cup of cider vinegar diluted to a cup of water was found to be as successful as modern cold treatments.

Bob, I personally have experienced that if you eat garlic regularily and eat foods with vinegar ,like pickles, beets etc then you don`t have much chance of catching a cold to begin with. I live right on the Atlantic ocean and its an ennviorment that is known to cause a lot of head colds that turn into chest infections quickly, especially in people that work outside year round.
Pioneerguy600

Bob, I personally have experienced that if you eat garlic regularily and eat foods with vinegar ,like pickles, beets etc then you don`t have much chance of catching a cold to begin with. I live right on the Atlantic ocean and its an ennviorment that is known to cause a lot of head colds that turn into chest infections quickly, especially in people that work outside year round.
Pioneerguy600

Well there you go then ! :)

Latest posts

Back