True fuel premix- worth it or am I wasting money

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodlandcammies

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so question- I used to mix my own fuel when I was running my tools on a weekly basis. Last year or so I've been.m buying the true fuel 40-1 premix at lowes and tractor supply when I need fuel. Is it worth it? Anyone ever have issues using it? I know my echo leaf blower runs a lot better with it than it did with the non-ethanol fuel with the synthetic oil I was using before. The old poulan chainsaw seems like it likes it better as well

If your not running your tools often and the cost dont hit the pocket to hard then Id say buy it. But if your using a lot of fuel then i would mix my own, especially if you have access to non-e 93 octane. That and a good proper mixed oil and you should see any difference. Maybe when you made your own premix you were heavy on the oil?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I might have been heavy on the oil. The only non ethanol fuel we have is 87 octane in town which is what I run in the boat and my old 95 chevy truck. Honestly I am in love with ethanol fuel- every piece of lawn equipment I have right now I got for free either from the roadside or people I know, and every one I've gotten so far was thrown out because ethanol and moisture killed the fuel lines and carbs. So far- craftsman 20hp riding lawn tractor, echo leaf blower, ryobi 4 stroke trimmer (I love that trimmer.... especially when I put the brush blade on it) and two older Honda self propelled push mowers... and I'm bout to get a Honda water cooled riding tractor with pto for a song and dance that needs a complete carb teardown.

Ratio right cup. Best fuel, best 2-stroke oil, mix it to your saws liking....

ratio_rite_no_lid.jpg

If your like most people here, myself included, you have many unnecessary saws. I use non ethanol mix for saws I actually work and canned fuel for saws that are just for play and don't get used as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If your like most people here, myself included, you have many unnecessary saws. I use non ethanol mix for saws I actually work and canned fuel for saws that are just for play and don't get used as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Well in my case I only have two saws, my trusty poulan and a mccolach electric that I keep for my wife to use around the house (she is scared of the gas powered saw)

I'll have to check out the Vp small engine fuel you recommended. I am gone a lot since I'm on a ship so a lot of my equipment sits on the shelf in my storage shed for months on end, but unlike a lot of people who own equipment, I do like my dad taught me with the boat engines; drain the tanks and run them until the carbs are empty then fog the cylinders and store. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I like the canned fuel because its non ethanol fuel. The fuel also doesn't go bad like the ethanol fuel. Then again I work on saws on the side and ethanol keeps me in business. I was about to ask a similar question to see what people had to say about the pre mix cans. It kind of bepens on how much you use the saw too. If your going to store the saw for a period of time you should use fuel stabilizer.

I saw someone mention seafoam on here, thoughts? I use it on my fourstroke stuff a lot (run two cans every oil change in the gas tank on my truck) but never even considered it on a 2 stroke

I use Sta-bil in everything, in the fall, if it's going to sit. Seafoam in everything, in the spring, if it has been sitting.

I've been using 40:1 Tru-Fuel for the last two years or so. It works great and I like it's shelf life.

I get mine free from Home Depot. ;)
Saws and tools not used much, dump old fuel, use just a little Trufuel or canned fuel for storage or not sure when use next time. Great for homeowners, avoids carb problems. After doing carb and all fuel system for second time on brother in laws ms 310, I investigated. Found his uncapped mix fuel can out in rain. Now I have 4 cans of Trufuel next to his saw with label on saw USE ONLY TRUFUEL. Also have a couple extra sharp chains in his case. Now easy start, idle and cut.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I like this stuff, better price. $20 a gallon at Tractor supply. The gallon looking cans of Trufuel are really only 110 ounces. Deceptive so I don't give them my business anymore.

For some reason these fuel cans are always under filled, maybe to compensate for heat expansion... all the cheaper e free gas co's have the gallon can. Tru-fuel, powercare, Briggs&stratton(Walmart), all 3 I would buy over VP(most expensive)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of my O P E sits idle with fuel in them. After being used, the fuel gets dumped back into a can, machine is started back up and idles until it dies on it's own.

Been doing that for over 50 yrs. or so, and not one problem or issue.

I hear, NO gas is best for carb but worse for fuel lines, they dry rot faster, I only bring this up because I experienced this last yr, 2 yr old gas line rotted after leaving a saw empty over winter. But, I don't know what quality the line was. This is just my opinion from that experience.

I hear, NO gas is best for carb but worse for fuel lines, they dry rot faster, I only bring this up because I experienced this last yr, 2 yr old gas line rotted after leaving a saw empty over winter. But, I don't know what quality the line was. This is just my opinion from that experience.

A lot has to do with proper storage. As in temperature control. We have a large un-insulated storage shed. In the summer, it can get to well over 115 in there. In the winter, it can drop to as low as the low teens. Temperature fluctuation like that is Hell on rubber lines / hoses and various other types of hoses.

I used to have a Stihl FS-45 string trimmer. Bought it in the early 90's. Sold it a few years ago for about what I paid for it initially. I think I replaced a sparkplug on it.......once. Not too bad for a 21 yr. old or so machine.

And, that was when I was using Ethanol-laced pump gas to boot.

All my O P E now rests in my climate-controlled garage / shop.

I use non ethanol 89-93 in all my 2 and 4 stroke motors such as weed wackers, chainsaws, boat motor, atv, etc.
Sometime an item will not be used for 7-8 months. Never had a fuel related issue with anything. No stabilizer, no sea foam, nothing.
Most people forget but modern gas is designed to have a 12 month shelf life.
Oh, and I mix my gas/oil myself.

I use non ethanol 89-93 in all my 2 and 4 stroke motors such as weed wackers, chainsaws, boat motor, atv, etc.
Sometime an item will not be used for 7-8 months. Never had a fuel related issue with anything. No stabilizer, no sea foam, nothing.
Most people forget but modern gas is designed to have a 12 month shelf life.
Oh, and I mix my gas/oil myself.

I am sure many people wish that the shelf life WAS 12 months when I hit them with a repair bill but sadly it is more like 3 months. I have no doubt the influx of mowers that are coming in will have a very high number of bad fuel as the root cause for them not running.

Latest posts

Back