Vacation Ramblings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It really is a shame that your obvious intelligence is wasted being such a butthead.

That's the sad part. I think you're probably a smart guy. You just have some serious attitude issues. Thanks for the kind words Mike. You're a true friend. No one shoots any straighter than you do, but I know it comes from a heart that cares, and is truely honest, not just hiding a bad attitude and calling it honesty.

I was reading this thread thinking how bad it was for Brad to not get to use his new saw on vacation, how could it get worse?...then the lawyer wannabe showed up.

The diagnostic tool, (how about we call it the "DT"), showed that the error code happened twice while you had it. So, I imagine that the second instance was what you posted above. And it looks like it reappeared as soon as it hit the wood.

Go back through Brads post......

Code 14, usually an air leak ala inlet pipe crack like on the 576, and also triggered by higher octane fuels, have had several 555 pinging code 14 and a simple 87 pump gas cured it.

See if you can get the code to show up again.

If the carbs been off and cleaned or diaphram changes its time to do the master reset, its deemed major work, i know sounds stupid but removal of any component and replacement of same said component is "major work".

Its a defiante learning curve, especially when some of the helpfull tools aren't available yet, so save any bad carbs to make proper block offs, for the big ole thumb pressing and closing a hole hides cracks in the inlet.

If it turns out to be a bad carb, then it has nothing at all to do with the new electronic technology. That can, and has happened to any saw out there.

Absolutely. For the purposes of my wild speculation, I was assuming it was a software issue because it amused me to think about what kind of bugs could cause the problem. But (as I believe I stated before) I'm not convinced it's AT related, or that it's even the most likely cause.

Just because it's got new technology and is throwing a failure code doesn't mean the new tech caused the failure.

It sucks to get a saw and have it start throwing error codes right away, but you can't assume the alternative is "get saw that works fine". Maybe the alternative is that you still get a lemon, but it tells you about its problems by blowing up. I'd rather have the error codes!

That said, wether or not it turns out to have anything at all to do with AT, personally I still think it would be a good idea to run an AT saw for a bit before messing with it. I don't know whether it's necessary or not, but it can't hurt. Plus for mods on any saw, isn't it nice to have a baseline, and make sure it's not an obvious lemon before you invest time in it?

Last edited:
Okay, to compare an automobile to a chainsaw is absurd. My fox body mustang is fuel injected, a 30 lb injector feeds each cylinder, all 8 of them. It runs real good too, Now I could swap the intake etc for an good old victor jr with a good 650 cfm carb and probably make slightly more power, less fuel economy, and less driveability but not much. A single cylinder 2 stroke needs engine control programs like I need another hole in my head. Now if a guy wanted to force feed a larger water cooled 2 stroke like say a 250cc in a 3 wheeler there might be some validity in all the technology applied. Until then, a venturi carb with a few screws in it will work fine. Do you think a pro saw that lives in the back of a crummy open to the elements has any business being jammed full of electronics? What is going to happen when the entire powerhead is engulfed a few dozen gallons of pitch water. If it is enough to foul the points on an old 125 McC, I can imagine that it could kaput a techno saw. All you have to do is dry the points on the old McC and get back to work. So do I take my techno saw to the saw diagnostic technitian while a 3/4 sawed up tree is waving around in the woods? Will I have to replace sensors and computer chips? You know pro saws account for a good portion of sales, and I am taking a wild guess when I say, the pros are not going to have that ####. end of story. If it means perpetuating older saws well that's exactly what we will do.
They got video games in my chainsaw! That's what that little thing looks like, a video game..

You make no valid points.

If you really want to fix it, buy an M-Tronic.... :potstir: :jester:

On that thought and just curiosity, why is the learning procedure on the Auto-Tune so much more... I guess "involved", than on the M-Tronic. I believe the manual says to just run the 441C, I haven't even done the calibration on it yet, and it seems to run fine.

Has anyone not done the calibration on the Auto-Tunes (hmm, maybe they should be called iTunesaws.....) COPYRIGHT!!! :hmm3grin2orange:, and see how they run?

With all the electronics around in our world today, I figured that adding a little chip or something to a chainsaw would be... more acceptable, than it seems to be.

And if my M-Tronic was submerged in a few dozen gallons of pitch water....well, I guess I wouldn't have have had to worry about cleaning the points, just pull the rope and start it. :msp_confused: (course that doesn't take into account all the other stuff that would have to be remedied before starting any completely submerged saw.....)

If you really want to fix it, buy an M-Tronic.... :potstir: :jester:

If Stihl would get off their R&D, or marketing, laurels, I'd love to try one out. Most of the time, it's Husqvarna leading the way in technology developement. It's only a few years later that you'll find these new technologies on Stihl equipment. Flame suit on:biggrin:

If Stihl would get off their R&D, or marketing, laurels, I'd love to try one out. Most of the time, it's Husqvarna leading the way in technology developement. It's only a few years later that you'll find these new technologies on Stihl equipment. Flame suit on:biggrin:

it's not quite that cut and dry, but you're close.

No, I'm just brutally honest, and you can't handle it. That's why it's "disgusting" to you. I give more compliments than criticisms around here. If what *you* said were true, I'd have been banned a long time ago. That's a fact.

I just read every post that you made in this thread. You added nothing constructive and it's apparent your only purpose in posting was to irritate and aggravate other people.

You guys have to give Spacemule a break.

He is under a LOT of stress.

From the 911 records he just found out "washable" is not the same as "dishwasher safe" when it comes to inflatable dolls..........

A moment of silence for his friend "Poly".

Brad reminds me of another guy on here a few years ago--always had a penchant for finding bent rods, poor performing saws, etc. etc., all the while reengineering and modifying the things before they're even fired. I suppose this is entertaining, but fewer problems exist with sensible people in the real world.

Bugging me that I can't remember his user id. His name was Ben, and he was always arguing about oils and cussing his Dolmar 7900.

How about this chronology............

7/31-ordered carb as you know. Order accepted, (means in stock).

8/1-Stuff on the order that was in Troy arrives. Pick list says carb shipping from SC, which means extra day.

8/2-Carb is no show.

8/3-Carb shows "out for pick". Being a Friday, it should be here tues.

8/6 (Monday)-Carb has not shipped, again listed as accepted. Call Customer service. "they recently received them, but they have not been assigned a bin location yet. Will know by the end of the day" Call again @ 4:45. Told that it is out for pick, but it turns out that they mistakenly looked at my order of that same day, and the carb didn't ship.

8/7-Carb has still not shipped. Spike blows top. :angry: Call customer service and say we WILL have a solution on this call. Either they find the carbs, or warranty is giving this guy a new saw. Luckily, this time I have a good CS rep, (they aren't all the same), and this girl is going to get it done. Promises that within the hour she will have a definitive answer. She kept her promise and the carb has actually shipped and will be here tomorrow.

Personally, I was hopin for the new saw solution, cause I'd retain the original saw for "experiments". And truthfully, if the carb doesn't solve the issue immediately, I'm just going to send a new saw on my own anyway cause this is dragging out too long. I can dig into the first one at leisure and start to get real familiar with this new chassis. Mostly this is just unfortunate timing with the carbs recently arriving. But these things happen. Brad gets more than his share of such things and he's been cool with the whole ordeal, but this is better than the tree-on-the-head mishap, ain't it? :msp_wink:

Well said Brad! This site has the benefit of being a big, strong support network and I for one am thankful for that. Russ

Back