Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
77bcb39f369dafd32e0219747a016158.jpg

I feel like I need this in my life

Good luck on those Mac's guys, I gota stay local on my acquisitions for now. :( On the bright side, I intend to go find an obsolete ignition coil (thanks a lot mercury!) at a local shop on friday after school. He's got a ton of old outboard parts, and quite a few saws last time I was there. Hopefully I find my part and who knows, I might even come home with a saw!

Good luck on those Mac's guys, I gota stay local on my acquisitions for now. :( On the bright side, I intend to go find an obsolete ignition coil (thanks a lot mercury!) at a local shop on friday after school. He's got a ton of old outboard parts, and quite a few saws last time I was there. Hopefully I find my part and who knows, I might even come home with a saw!

There's a great guy on here @deaves61 who works on outboard motors. I don't know if he could but he is amazing and may know where you can get one. Worth a shot right?

Nice! she a runner? I have one in my stash... Can't seem to get it to fire no matter what. I figure the compression is just not there to make it pop.

It starts and runs well, I converted it to 3/8'' and bolted that roller tip on.
Very loud and the vibes will make your blood foam.

oHHHH! oLD oUT bOARDS--must resist getting back on those--What color is the mercury??
Actually have two, both are black, and one has red trim, the other blue. Don't have any pics right at the moment. Both are 4hp, 71' and 73' from what I remember. The ignition systems could have been designed better on these, as that is the problem with both of them. Pretty sure both of the ignition coils are toast, perhaps more as well on the older one. Other than the electrical, both seem to function fine. This is a pic of the problem part, the core has some cracks inside, and therefore is giving me an intermittent spark. I've gone through and replaced just about everything else electrical, so i'm quite certain this is my problem.
IMG_20170219_110157136.jpg

Guy in Huskavarna Museum in Sweden said that over there they were making L77 in 1972 was first model year. Crazy.
Woodblocker55

Could well be, IPL dates doesn't tell the full story of production start/stop, but some times it is the best info you have.

Regardless, there were other versions of the 77 before the L77, like A77.

Then it is just a "consecutive" number with no dating code in it. That said, it has to be made 1973 or later (because it is a "L"), and production of that model family (65 and 77) allegedly was moved to the Tomos factory in Yugoslavia around 1974. I haven't seen any exact info on when the production of the 77 was mowed though, and if it was a 100% "clean" transfer.

Most likely your saw was made in 1973/74, or shortly after that - but I wasn't "there", so I can't say for sure.

Talked to the director at mus
Then it is just a "consecutive" number with no dating code in it. That said, it has to be made 1973 or later (because it is a "L"), and production of that model family (65 and 77) allegedly was moved to the Tomos factory in Yugoslavia around 1974. I haven't seen any exact info on when the production of the 77 was mowed though, and if it was a 100% "clean" transfer.

Most likely your saw was made in 1973/74, or shortly after that - but I wasn't "there", so I can't say for sure.

I talked guy at Museum in Huskavarna. Sweden . He said over there they were making the L77 in 1972 was first year. Makes since . I asked couple more questions we'll see if he gets back to me.
Woodblocker55

Yes it's a huskavarna
Could well be, IPL dates doesn't tell the full story of production start/stop, but some times it is the best info you have.

Regardless, there were other versions of the 77 before the L77, like A77.

Yes I asked Museum director couple other questions to well see if he replys . I sent him picture and stuff . I will let you know.

Woodblocker55

Go to AOMCI site for old outboard info and parts source----Its a forum for old outboard Guys-Become a member and you get into the INNER Sanctom-I am a member. David --NAPA has a book of old outboard parts back to the 50,60,70's --coils,carb kits,waterpump kits etc... I suddenly have a strong desire to collect and repair old outboards-Arrrrrrrrrrr1!!!! I love running the old things--Freaks people out when you cruise up using a 1937 johnson or 1949---purring like a cat and totally reliable to go any where--AS long as you bring tools and a few SHEAR PINS--Yall don't know nothing about that though--Ha Ha!!!! I am crazy about them!! Pullin the rope on a 2 stroke--thats me--David--I have a history of it--One night I will tell how I got into the old OB obsession...

Actually have two, both are black, and one has red trim, the other blue. Don't have any pics right at the moment. Both are 4hp, 71' and 73' from what I remember. The ignition systems could have been designed better on these, as that is the problem with both of them. Pretty sure both of the ignition coils are toast, perhaps more as well on the older one. Other than the electrical, both seem to function fine. This is a pic of the problem part, the core has some cracks inside, and therefore is giving me an intermittent spark. I've gone through and replaced just about everything else electrical, so i'm quite certain this is my problem.
View attachment 561742
Way to new for me--hope you get them going!!--David--I deal in 1949 and below:eek:

Go to AOMCI site for old outboard info and parts source----Its a forum for old outboard Guys-Become a member and you get into the INNER Sanctom-I am a member. David --NAPA has a book of old outboard parts back to the 50,60,70's --coils,carb kits,waterpump kits etc... I suddenly have a strong desire to collect and repair old outboards-Arrrrrrrrrrr1!!!! I love running the old things--Freaks people out when you cruise up using a 1937 johnson or 1949---purring like a cat and totally reliable to go any where--AS long as you bring tools and a few SHEAR PINS--Yall don't know nothing about that though--Ha Ha!!!! I am crazy about them!! Pullin the rope on a 2 stroke--thats me--David--I have a history of it--One night I will tell how I got into the old OB obsession...
Thanks David! I will have to look into that. Im hoping I can actually find some aftermarket coils by CDI or Sierra but that doesn't seem to be the case. They got a ton for the larger motors but none for the smallest HP range. I can't wait to be purring on the lake with it! Might even have to find a vintage boat to complement it.

Latest posts

Back