Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
c5dd5bd832a26cbe1426fcae92be23b6.jpg

Actually didn’t get as many as i would have liked lol, ill get some more in the morning before we leave. And the axe wasnt stuck it was wedgylike that on purpose.

The axe is a husky from home depot that was painted orange for high visibility.

Can't go to the link

Steve

I have a 1940 Chevy 4 door sedan. I installed a 235 6 cylinder from a 1957 Chevy car. The engine sounded really good before it was removed from the car. I then installed the engine in my car. The engine ran really good in my car. Then I got busy with other things and parked the car in the barn. The car sat for about 4-5 months. Today I started the car and there is a tapping noise coming from under the valve cover. What could be wrong and what can I do to fix it?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it doesn't come out of it from running a while put some sea foam in the oil, 1oz for every quart capacity the engine is.

235 valvetrain should be set up like a small block or big block Chevy, pedestal mount adjustable rockers. It should be zero valve lash . I always adjust them running, pull valve cover fire it up let it idle start from either end, SLOWLY loosen the fulcrum nut until you hear the lifter clatter, this will " clean" the plunger in the lifter, then SLOWLY tighten the nut just until you hear the tappet noise stop, then go 1/8-1/4 more.

I've done this many times it's the best way, you do it by hand on an engine to get close but do it running once in the car bc guaranteed they'll be too tight by hand.

If it doesn't come out of it from running a while but some sea foam in the oil, 1oz for every quarter capacity the engine is.

235 valvetrain should be set up like a small block or big block Chevy, pedestal mount adjustable rockers. It should be zero valve lash . I always adjust them running, pull valve cover fire it up let it idle start from either end, SLOWLY loosen the fulcrum nut until you hear the lifter clatter, this will " clean" the plunger in the lifter, then SLOWLY tighten the nut just until you hear the tappet noise stop, then go 1/8-1/4 more.

I've done this many times it's the best way, you do it by hand on an engine to get close but do it running once in the car bc guaranteed they'll be too tight by hand.

Thanks, I will try the sea foam first, will berrymans b12 chemtool work? It’s supposed to be the same

If it's a sea foam equivalent it should just read the can make sure it'll give you instructions on putting in oil.
After that if it comes out of it, run the valves anyway. Good insurance they're happy.
I chased a unhappy idle in my big block 70 nova, popped the covers and ran the valves like mentioned and you could actually hear the engine "freeing up" and running smoother as I was running them. They were too tight. My boss had set them on the engine stand but never did while running made a serious difference in how it acted.

Back