Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Heimannm,
I’m new to the site and was directed to you for information. I have a McCulloch BP-399-T that I am looking to re home. I’m realizing I’m not going to use it and after doing some research it appears they may be more of a collectors item then something to play with. Would you be able to help me figure out what it might be worth? Thank you again

Attachments

• 36C63A51-681B-410D-BEA8-64C7BC8AF2C1.jpeg
    36C63A51-681B-410D-BEA8-64C7BC8AF2C1.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 50
Hello Heimannm,
I’m new to the site and was directed to you for information. I have a McCulloch BP-399-T that I am looking to re home. I’m realizing I’m not going to use it and after doing some research it appears they may be more of a collectors item then something to play with. Would you be able to help me figure out what it might be worth? Thank you again

That's pretty interesting, a twin cylinder, electric start, fan cooled engine from Mcculloch. It would make more sense as a general purpose, horizontal shaft implement engine if not for the bizarre location of the intake and carburetor.
It looks like it was barely used, it would be interesting to know the application for it, does it have a governor?
If there was a niche Mcculloch should have pursued, it was making powersports engines for things like snowmobiles, and competed with Kohler, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Hirth, and so on. God knows they probably could have built a better engine than some of the junk in the early sleds.

Pretty sure that motor was intended to be a snowmobile motor.
They made an attempt at an early snowmobile.
That is exactly what I have found. It was intended for a snowmobile but was designed to be able to be mounted in any position and could actually be put in many applications. At a time where many of the snowmobiles were in the 15hp range this would have been unstoppable. Have put this on eBay in an attempt to find someone who will really love this piece of history

The snowmobile pictured above would have been fit with a McCulloch 91 kart engine. The BP399-T and others were intended to be supplied to other manufacturers for use in their snowmobiles, one of the key benefits of the BP design is very low vibration. McCulloch planned for a single, twin, even 4 and 6 cylinder versions and built the singles and twins but they never were actively marketed. Some have suggested the emissions were too high even in 1970.

Mark

Attachments

• BP-399-T PS Dec 70.pdf
    208.1 KB · Views: 10
The snowmobile pictured above would have been fit with a McCulloch 91 kart engine. The BP399-T and others were intended to be supplied to other manufacturers for use in their snowmobiles, one of the key benefits of the BP design is very low vibration. McCulloch planned for a single, twin, even 4 and 6 cylinder versions and built the singles and twins but they never were actively marketed. Some have suggested the emissions were too high even in 1970.

Mark

I love that video Mark. Just sweet music indeed

Mark

Are these 399’s the old 40:1 mix like the Mac chainsaws are? I’m considering getting one running just to have a video clip of my own to add to yours. I’ve read of issues with the balancing piston seizing and I’m curious if there is truth to that and if a different mix could help? The 399 has a cooling fan and maybe it’s not an issue on them? Also is there a specific brand of mix oil suggested for any/all old Macs? I always run Stihl synthetic in my modern 2cyc’s but these are obviously built prior to “modern” :)

With a primary clutch fitted to it and a pipe installed it would never achieve that rpm. Matter of fact not recommended to rev a modern sled engine like that with no clutch installed, they need it to help with harmonics/vibrations.

Interesting that motor is case inducted. Most motors at that time had carbs mounted to cylinders. Once again Mac was ahead of the curve in technology.

If you notice the items on the shelf below the engine, they barely move around at all when the engine is racing up and down. The BP design was very smooth indeed. I have never heard of any issues with the balance piston seizing either on the snowmobile engines or the chainsaw version. I have run my BP-1 quite a bit with no issues. When it came to me it had been run a lot...to the point I had to replace the rings to make it proper and the balance piston and cylinder were just fine. I would use any high quality mix oil at 40:1.

Mark

Back to the museum, I have decided I need to just finish moving things over from my home shop so I can spend all my time in the new building. Today I brought over the remaining McCulloch IPL's that I had been holding back. Now I will have to get serious about moving all the parts over as well.

I was saving the space between the blue tape marks for the McCulloch IPL's.

20200531_164345.jpg

They fit.

20201116_130738.jpg

Mark

I just had the electricians install an 8' LED strip in the closet, it is brighter in the shadow than it is in the room most of the time, compare the two photos as the before was taken with the original light.

I can always pull a section out of the organizer if I need to have a closer look. The plan it put a small reference desk in the shop area so I have a place to set a book or two if I need more detail at hand. The door just to the left goes through a 1/2 bath into the office where the library is and the cabinet just above already has some reference materials waiting.

20200214_133112.1.jpg

Mark

Update on the Woodslasher Mall...all cleaned up, cord replaced (I kept the vintage plug), chain de-rusted and polished, and ready for display.

20201215_165210.jpg

I put it along side the other little Mall with the scratcher chain.

20201215_165216.jpg

I have also gotten a little more serious about getting stuff moved over so I can start working here on a routine basis. I have most of my hardware and miscellaneous supplies moved over already and getting a start on the small parts.

20201215_175315.jpg

Mark

More (mostly) NOS parts being moved, identified, cataloged, and filed away.

20210103_152414.jpg

I find I am spending a lot of time confirming the part numbers on the paper envelopes as they are not always reliable. At the same time I am trying to note old and new part numbers since McCulloch changed their scheme a few times, and doing my best to keep track of where the items are being put away so I can find them again. The Excel spread sheet is up to 35 pages currently.

Mark

Back