Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Indeed it is.

We had between 150 and 200 people come through last night during the festivities, ran out of cups for hot cider and hot chocolate at 150 and had to send #1 son to the convenience store to get more.

Today a pile of chains to be sharpened has magically appeared in the shop, they did leave a phone number...

Mark

Indeed it is.

We had between 150 and 200 people come through last night during the festivities, ran out of cups for hot cider and hot chocolate at 150 and had to send #1 son to the convenience store to get more.

Today a pile of chains to be sharpened has magically appeared in the shop, they did leave a phone number...

Mark
Charlie Chan?!

I didn't get any photos last night with everything going on so I took one tonight. We have an interesting tradition here in Dike, Iowa with a large Christmas tree right in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and State Street, my building is on the southwest corner of the intersection.

20211202_182957.jpg

For a month or so we have a sort of roundabout in town.

Mark

I didn't get any photos last night with everything going on so I took one tonight. We have an interesting tradition here in Dike, Iowa with a large Christmas tree right in the middle of the intersection of Main Street and State Street, my building is on the southwest corner of the intersection.

View attachment 945843

For a month or so we have a sort of roundabout in town.

Mark
I love small town America(na)! Though even that's too big of a town for me - glad I get to live a few miles outside of a town like that, though :cool:

Cool. The depth gauge is great all by itself. Great to see your initiative!

You may be interested in exploring the variety of other depth gauge production possibilities discussed at length in this thread if you haven't already stumbled upon it. You'll get the gist fairly early on before it (the thread) begins to wander, though it does find its way back to tangible discussion as it progresses.

https://www.arboristsite.com/thread...epth-gauge-supported-by-software-tool.320388/
A good source for decent quality progressive depth gauges at a reasonable price would certainly fill a niche demand among many hand filers. The Husky versions are cheaply made and expensive and Stihl's effort is not available domestically. The Carlton F-O-P's fetch a pretty penny when you can find them. Rumor had it that Blount was intending to re-introduce them after acquiring Carlton, but production never seemed to have materialized.

Good luck with the endeavor. It should do quite well once the word gets out.

Here is one of my latest additions, follows the design of the Carlton File-O-Plate for 3/8 chisel chain. They are not quite as hard as the originals, but I think they will be useful.

View attachment 948101

View attachment 948102

Mark
You literally just copied it directly and put your Logo on it and it’s not even as good as the original one? This is on par with what China does.

This is not something to be proud of, make your own design that works, not rip off another manufactures hard work.

The patent was applied for in 1965, issued in 1968, expired in 1985, Carlton stopped making them altogether over 20 years ago.

1965-10-01 Application filed by CARLTON Co
1965-10-01 Priority to US49194565
1968-01-30 Application granted
1968-01-30 Publication of US3365805A
1985-01-30 Anticipated expiration

Status Expired - Lifetime

I don't think I am infringing on any intellectual property at this point. Some of us like to use the File-O-Plate when the chain allows it, and this was the only way I could come up with to make it happen.

Mark

The patent was applied for in 1965, issued in 1968, expired in 1985, Carlton stopped making them altogether over 20 years ago.

1965-10-01 Application filed by CARLTON Co
1965-10-01 Priority to US49194565
1968-01-30 Application granted
1968-01-30 Publication of US3365805A
1985-01-30 Anticipated expiration

Status Expired - Lifetime

I don't think I am infringing on any intellectual property at this point. Some of us like to use the File-O-Plate when the chain allows it, and this was the only way I could come up with to make it happen.

Mark
You absolutely are infringing on intellectual property. You shouldn’t need to be told that just because a patent has expired, it’s ok to steal it as your own and make money off it. Replicating the exact design in every way but making a lesser product and selling it as your own. Give me one example on how this is any different to what China is doing.

This is the problem now days, everyone copies a good product sells it as their own and makes money on it, I have had this countless times in my business and it’s BS.

Make your own design and sell it, don’t steal someone else’s and put your brand on it. Especially when it’s not as good.

You absolutely are infringing on intellectual property. You shouldn’t need to be told that just because a patent has expired, it’s ok to steal it as your own and make money off it. Replicating the exact design in every way but making a lesser product and selling it as your own. Give me one example on how this is any different to what China is doing.

This is the problem now days, everyone copies a good product sells it as their own and makes money on it, I have had this countless times in my business and it’s BS.

Make your own design and sell it, don’t steal someone else’s and put your brand on it. Especially when it’s not as good.
You should probably take a step back and consider the fine human being you’re speaking to. Mark was rebuilding and restoring American muscle before you were in diapers. He had these made because it was a good product and it’s not available any longer. He’s not the kind of guy to repop something like this with the intentions of making a living on it

You're out of line and you probably need to check yourself.
From following along I get the idea that you have it ALL figured out.... probably not the case.

BTW, why have you changed your site name numerous times?

You should probably take a step back and consider the fine human being you’re speaking to. Mark was rebuilding and restoring American muscle before you were in diapers. He had these made because it was a good product and it’s not available any longer. He’s not the kind of guy to repop something like this with the intentions of making a living on it
I’m sure Mark is a great guy. However clearly we have different opinions on this and it’s certainly not something I will change my stance on.

You're out of line and you probably need to check yourself.
From following along I get the idea that you have it ALL figured out.... probably not the case.

BTW, why have you changed your site name numerous times?

Im sure Mark is a fine guy, but I think copying, reproducing and selling a product that isn’t yours yet you put your logo on as if it is, is not acceptable.

All figured out? If you can’t see the
Issue here you’re the one that needs to check yourself. I have changed my name to keep it in keeping with my channel, though that’s not relevant.

Mark, I’m sure you’re a fine guy, but I think copying, reproducing and selling a product that isn’t yours is not acceptable.
When was the guide last produced?
Where is Mark "competing" with sales trying to make a million?
Maybe Mark is showing interest to keep a well thought out tool useful today...

Why do you edit your post so quick?
Lacking spine?

When was the guide last produced?
Where is Mark "competing" with sales trying to make a million?
Maybe Mark is showing interest to keep a well thought out tool useful today...

Why do you edit your post so quick?
Lacking spine?
I edited my post because I figured getting frustrated here is not going to change your thoughts. I wrote it through frustration and felt I went a bit far and was rude.

Back