Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get that. You are probably bitter because you have had some spoon carving ideas stolen which has caused this outburst.
Na not the carving, but my carving knife designs taken and replicated and someone making and selling them as their own and cut me out completely and also my sharpening products. 3 or 4 people have copied my exact designs, shape and notable materials, have copied my text I have shared and using my reputation to sell the products as their own. However their products are poorly made, using cheaper alternatives and don’t hold up. I am all for bettering a product, and that strive to improve on something having gleaned inspiration from an idea or design.
I’ve had some time to process it, I am re reading what I wrote and can see I went a bit overboard, Mark, please accept my apology for being snappy, it’s a sensitive subject to me and I shouldn’t have let it rile me up as it did. I should have taken a breath before replying, my apologies.

Here is one of my latest additions, follows the design of the Carlton File-O-Plate for 3/8 chisel chain. They are not quite as hard as the originals, but I think they will be useful.
Looks great Mark! Many of us here appreciate your work to bring new life to obsolete parts and tools. You are a huge asset to the community. Many thanks for your efforts.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

However clearly we have different opinions on this and it’s certainly not something I will change my stance on.
Nor will we. And as one who has amicably and productively interacted with you rather extensively in other threads, I'm a bit surprised and disappointed in your attitude here..., where you clearly have nothing productive to contribute.

I would suggest you'd feel much better after offering an apology to not only one of the preeminent McCulloch experts on the planet, but one of the most gracious, helpful, and selfless people on any forum anywhere.

He stole nothing. He legally copied something desirable that is otherwise no longer available. I consider that to be providing a service, for which anyone is entitled to charge a reasonable price or fee. In this particular case, anyone who would purchase the device would know it's a File-O-Plate copy and would be happy to pay for it..., especially being proudly made in Iowa, USA. The branding is irrelevant otherwise.

But make no mistake, if the device does become a popular item, Mark's effort will indeed be undermined by Asian sources and marketed extensively all over eBay and Amazon for a similar device that will be pure junk. Without a patent it would be fair game. I can't help but wonder whose side might you take, then.

Me? I'm for the little guy every time..., especially if I may need some (more?) McCulloch specific Vintage Engine Repair advice from him one day.

Sorry for the continued diversion, folks. I had to get that out.

As you were.

I’ve had some time to process it, I am re reading what I wrote and can see I went a bit overboard, Mark, please accept my apology for being snappy, it’s a sensitive subject to me and I shouldn’t have let it rile me up as it did. I should have taken a breath before replying, my apologies.
I clearly missed this, Tom. Sorry for my preceding post. Good on you, mate. That's the character I'm more familiar with you displaying. :)

Arrowhead Ed was ready to move this along, one day I will get it cleaned up and make a few repairs and maybe even try to use it a time or two. First unit I have seen with the sanding drum (to remove burrs from the edges) and trip hammer to close bar rails.

View attachment 974286

View attachment 974287

View attachment 974288

View attachment 974289

View attachment 974290

View attachment 974291

View attachment 974292

View attachment 974293

View attachment 974294

View attachment 974295

Mark
Nice machine, did Ed show you the hole in the wall where it caught the bar, slung it across the room and through the wall? Be carefull trying to cut the bar slots deeper and be damn carefull trying to say turn a .053 gauge bar to .063. I don't think they were actually made to do that.

I did not have a Barshop on hand already; I do have the small bar rail grinder from Baileys set up in my shop now as well as their bar rail closer tool with the bearings that you draw down the length of the bar to squeeze the rails back together. I had used a set up in the table saw a time or two for regrinding bar grooves but I do hope to get the Barshop to the point where I can use it for that purpose in the future.

I didn't have to go to Ed's to pick it up, he had a friend coming up to Dubuque (IA) to pick up some parts from a chrome plating shop and I met them there. I suspect any damage to the wall at Ed's place has been repaired as he has been refitting his man cave and thus no more room for the Barshop.

I think the trip hammer would be interesting to see in operation but with the other closer that I have I don't envision it getting a lot of use.

Mark

Not very deep as you can see in the photos above.

I saw another tool that was made to straighten bars in an old shop in southern Indiana.

20191010_114555.jpg

20191010_114613.jpg

I did my best to make a copy but my channel iron did not have the wide flanges so I had to make several different cams to accommodate varying degrees of bending damage.

20220318_122208.jpg

Mark

I try to be open Mon-Sat but I also have to complete some tasks around the house, cut a few trees now and then, etc.

If you ever think you want to come for a visit be sure to send a message in advance and I will be sure to make arrangements to have it available.

Mark
Yea I looked it up online there was a few articles about it. It looks spectacular to say the least. Great work!

Not very deep as you can see in the photos above.

I saw another tool that was made to straighten bars in an old shop in southern Indiana.

View attachment 974493

View attachment 974494

I did my best to make a copy but my channel iron did not have the wide flanges so I had to make several different cams to accommodate varying degrees of bending damage.

View attachment 974496

Mark
I’m going to have to make one along with my homemade bar shop. Unfortunately the thinnest discs I can find are 1/16(.0625) thinking of maybe slotting cutters.

Latest posts

Back