Vintage Chainsaw Museum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philbert - I'll try to get a photo of the cabinet filled with chain parts, not quite so many as the rest of the hardware but a pretty large assortment none the less. McCulloch had many different designs of chain over the years and keeping the parts alone straight is a real challenge, then add in the other manufacturers.

.250 / 1/4" were pretty consistent except for the newer Stihl .043 Pico

.325 were rather limited from McCulloch but there were versions with and without the additional bumpers

.354 at least 4 different type with McCulloch and Carlton offering it in .050 and .058 gauge and drive links/presets do not interchange

3/8 LP McCulloch, Oregon, Stihl (Pico), bumpers, shark fin...those alone can drive you mad

3/8 McCulloch had at least 8 variations themselves, add Carlton, Windsor, Saber, Oregon, Husqvarna, Stihl...

.404 The Early SM and SP McCulloch were different from the later 403 and 408 variations, most of the Oregon parts are different again then there are Carlton, Windsor, and Saber versions...

7/16 SM, SL, variations plus Oregon 61 and 62 variations plus Carlton C2 and C3...I don't think I have any Laser or Pioneer to add to the confusion

1/2 McCulloch had at least 4 variations in the very early stuff, then P8 and AR8 in the intermediate range, and finally their 503 and 508 and nothing interchanges. Add to that the Oregon 20AC3, 9AC, 31C3, 10AC, and 32C3 plus Carlton D2 and D3...

9/16 I have some McCulloch SL, SM, SP8, P8N, S8, and S80 plus Oregon and miscellaneous

5/8 To make it easy on myself I don't have anything in 5/8 other than a few sprockets and the odd chain or two, no repair parts.

Mark

Attachments

• Old Mac Chain.pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 1
Philbert - I'll try to get a photo of the cabinet filled with chain parts, not quite so many as the rest of the hardware but a pretty large assortment none the less. McCulloch had many different designs of chain over the years and keeping the parts alone straight is a real challenge, then add in the other manufacturers.

.250 / 1/4" were pretty consistent except for the newer Stihl .043 Pico

.325 were rather limited from McCulloch but there were versions with and without the additional bumpers

.354 at least 4 different type with McCulloch and Carlton offering it in .050 and .058 gauge and drive links/presets do not interchange

3/8 LP McCulloch, Oregon, Stihl (Pico), bumpers, shark fin...those alone can drive you mad

3/8 McCulloch had at least 8 variations themselves, add Carlton, Windsor, Saber, Oregon, Husqvarna, Stihl...

.404 The Early SM and SP McCulloch were different from the later 403 and 408 variations, most of the Oregon parts are different again then there are Carlton, Windsor, and Saber versions...

7/16 SM, SL, variations plus Oregon 61 and 62 variations plus Carlton C2 and C3...I don't think I have any Laser or Pioneer to add to the confusion

1/2 McCulloch had at least 4 variations in the very early stuff, then P8 and AR8 in the intermediate range, and finally their 503 and 508 and nothing interchanges. Add to that the Oregon 20AC3, 9AC, 31C3, 10AC, and 32C3 plus Carlton D2 and D3...

9/16 I have some McCulloch SL, SM, SP8, P8N, S8, and S80 plus Oregon and miscellaneous

5/8 To make it easy on myself I don't have anything in 5/8 other than a few sprockets and the odd chain or two, no repair parts.

Mark
I can remember selling you some NOS McCulloch sprockets a few years ago on Ebay.Looking at your collection,I am sure they were put to good use.

We managed to get the last of the hardware sorted and put away last week. Now it is time to get the parts put away in a little better order to facilitate locating them when needed...

I picked up this banner a couple of weeks ago, finally took time to get it cleaned up and mounted in the hallway.

In the process of cleaning it.

20221022_090558.jpg

20221022_090606.jpg

20221022_103053.jpg

20221022_103106.jpg

Mark

At the top of this page I promised Philbert some photos, better late than never.

The various bags of chain parts spread out, this represents about 80% of the part numbers we put in order today.

20221029_104050.jpg

Depending on the number and type of items, some would fit in the smaller bags and black bins and some needed to go in the bigger blue bins. The repair kits (individual poly bags with presets, drive links, cutters, and tie straps) take up a lot of space. Items like 10 packs of presets and tie straps could be opened up and the contents consolidated.

20221029_104046.jpg

We did a little checking to make sure there would be room enough for everything.

20221029_104058.jpg

Everything actually fit quite nicely. I don't know how many pre-packaged "repair kits" for 3/8 Lo Pro are in the big bag but there didn't seem to be any better way to fit them in.

20221029_135601.jpg

I already had this small parts organizer mostly filled with parts from 1/4" pitch through some 9/16 and 5/8, and the three small parts organizers in the cabinet with a variety of 1/4" through 1/2" McCulloch chain parts.

20221029_135614.jpg

For the record there are at least three, and maybe four or even five variations in McCulloch 1/2" pitch chain alone. It does get confusing at times.

I even found a few scratcher type LH cutters in .354 pitch. I will try to include a some in the chain & sprocket display I am slowly assembling.

Mark

Back