Went to get a mower and came home with......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomud

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So, I drove a couple hours to pick up an older ford garden tractor that I was getting for parts for 2 others that I have and started talking with the guy I was buying it from. The subject of chainsaws came up and he said he had one he would sell, so I figured I would take a look. Ended up buying 2 for $10!

I was told the Mac 10-10 ran, but I cant get the cord to budge at all. And the Sachs-Dolmar, it needs a gas cap, and I was told it needs a piston. Its a little beat up, but both should be fun projects!!

Oh, and as for the SD, its a 120si. And I did get the garden tractor. I am running out of room for both chainsaws and garden tractors! Guess its time to clean the garage!

I did clean the shed out, so I guess I can fit some saws in there! The wife keeps asking why do I need 6 chainsaws, and 4 garden tractors. I wont lie, I can push mow my yard in about an hour. But these are both cheaper hobbies then my jeep and rock crawling!

I did clean the shed out, so I guess I can fit some saws in there! The wife keeps asking why do I need 6 chainsaws, and 4 garden tractors. I wont lie, I can push mow my yard in about an hour. But these are both cheaper hobbies then my jeep and rock crawling!

My S.I.L. has a J.E.E.P.. Just Empty Every Pocket.

The really bad part about it is he rides my grandchildren around in the p.o.s..

Just Empty Every Pocket is right! I don't even think about how much money I have put into my jeep anymore. Then again I have owned it for 15 years. I haven't tried to see if my kids' car seats will even fit in it. But they love to play in it. As for my saws and garden tractors, I have about $900 in all 6 of my saws, and about $1050 in 4 garden tractors so far. But being as I am restoring/resto-modding a 1976 Ford LGT 145, that number will keep going up a little more! Maybe I will make a chainsaw carrier for my garden tractors..............

Here is my POS Jeep. Its a 1980, is fuel injected, has dana 44's front and rear with lockers. And I think I have put maybe 500 miles on it in the last 5 years. But I do use it when I am cutting firewood to skid some logs!

The Dolmar appears to be a 6000 or 6800 as the muffler is made like those two rather than the 116S/120S saws.

These two series are very similar designs with essentially the same cylinder and piston but the muffler is designed and attached differently.

Here is a picture of my 6800iH

attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice CJ. I've got an 85' I'm rebuilding along with a newly acquired MS460 that needs a clutch. What engine is in the jeep?

There is a tag still on it that says 120si, and has the displacement and stuff, so that's why I figure its a 120si.

As for the jeep, it has a 258 straight 6 with a howell efi kit. I got the engine, which had 30,000 miles on a rebuild, with the efi for $300! Guy was swapping in a 360. So I have the 258 that was in it setting in my garage, with less then 10,000 miles on it, and less then 500 on a new camshaft. I have nearly complete spare axles, another automatic trans, and who knows what else. I try to get spare parts for my garden tractors and saws too, that's why I am running out of room!

The muffler on a 116Si/120Si has a third bolt that screws into the top of the front of the cylinder head.

On the 6000i/6800i the third bolt is in the starter side of the muffler down low.

The Piston/cylinder on these will interchange but sometimes the fins look a little different

The 116S/120S cylinders have a couple fins under the exhaust port that the 6000/6800 do not have.

On some 116s/120S cylinders they have the fins cut away on the starter side of the spark plug.

Also, would someone recommend a good place to get parts for the dolmar? am wanting to get it going first since I think I may use it a little more. Thinking that if I get it running good it may be my loaner saw. I only let my closest friends use my saws by the way. I plan on getting the 10-10 running as well, but it may just end up setting next to my old homelight EZ Automatic.

I have friends that went to V8s, but I have never seen the need. The 258 has plenty of torque for me, and runs good. I keep all the spare parts as I have 3 year old twins, boy and girl. So I am always looking for another jeep project. Wife thinks I have too many saws and garden tractors, she would freak if I bring home another jeep!! hahaha!

And thanks for the info w8ye! I am going to look it over some more and will try to get more pictures for you guys that know these saws. Being as I just got in to this hobby maybe 2 years ago there is still a lot for me to learn!

Wheather it is a 116S/120S or a 6000/6800 doesn't make a lot of difference as they run the same - Beautiful

The 6000/6800 were made in the 1997-2002 era.

The 116S/120S were made in the 1987-1996 era.

There are plain 116/120 Dolmars but they are more different

The "i" versions have a Tillotson carburetor.

My 6800 has a serial number sticker under the choke lever that tells the year and model.

This is your source for Dolmar parts

Edge & Engine

My S.I.L. has a J.E.E.P.. Just Empty Every Pocket.

The really bad part about it is he rides my grandchildren around in the p.o.s..

Depending on when it was made, it might be "Just Everyone Else's Parts". :laugh:

Don't care much for the CJ's, but the old cherokees and wagoneers were pretty tough vehicles. Horrible on gas though.

Latest posts

Back