What gas/oil do you use?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwilliams

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone uses for gas and oil for their saws I’ve been using 89 and the echo power blend or whatever it’s called from my dealer by just found a local place that sells vp fuel and they have the 5 gallons of premix 40:1 for 55 bucks. Not sure if it’s worth it to run the go gas. What’s everyone think

Just wondering what everyone uses for gas and oil for their saws I’ve been using 89 and the echo power blend or whatever it’s called from my dealer by just found a local place that sells vp fuel and they have the 5 gallons of premix 40:1 for 55 bucks. Not sure if it’s worth it to run the go gas. What’s everyone think

5gal of premix for $55 is pretty cheap for premix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if using pump fuel, get ethanol free if you can, and add a stabilizer like startron if it sits for a while.

if you are rich or really really really love your saws then get the alkylate fuel (stihl motomix, Aspen etc....is that what vp fuel is?)

Octane rating isn't important in a saw, but over here the premium pump petrol (97-99RON but our RON is calculated differently) is usually E free...or at least lower than E10 which the standard 95b RON petrol is..hence I get Shell 98 RON, or BP 99 RON.

use a decent oil, it doesn't cost much more. Stihl Green or the premium husky stuff.

I think it depends how much fuel you use.

I recently bought some of the Husquvarna fuel to extend the warranty but haven't used it yet , I plan to fill the saw with it when I am done cutting for the season.

I use Jonsered oil and 91 octane no ethanol gas from a pump that has a separate hose for no ethanol. from the same local gas station my local saw shop uses for his fuel. I have also used 2 gallons in a month .
I have started dating my gas the day I buy the fuel and mix it with painters tape and a marker around the spout.
if it gets to 2 months it can get poured in the truck and I can get fresh.

some stations do not do enough volume in 91 no-E sales and or don't have a separate hose. my wife works at a co-op with a gas station and I go 2 blocks away to the competition to buy my saw gas because they just don't sell enough no - E and they don't have a separate hose I get all my truck gas 87oct 10% E but will not get my saw gas there.

if you don't have Ethanol free gas and you don't run 2 gallons a week or more = buy canned fuel.

I know many tree services use ethanol gas with no issue in all their saws they also run gallons a week so it your not running gallons a week I would stay away from Ethanol gas and if you can only get E15 buy canned fuel or race gas or 100 low lead form an air port.

if you take longer then 2 months to use a gallon of mix = buy canned fuel.

if you won't use that size container of canned fuel within 6 months of opening it = buy smaller cans of canned fuel.

if your saw sits more than 2-3 months without being run = buy canned fuel

pay attention to the good till date on the can

canned fuel may have a shelf life of 2 years but my local saw shop warned that it does indeed go bad he has seen it.

my other reason for even with no-E gas only 2 months is that it does happen that the tanker driver delivers the wrong product to the wrong tank , it happens so you could still be getting ethanol gas even if less ethanol and it just isn't worth the risk of having bad gas much cheaper to pour it in the truck and make use of it that way. a dollars savings isn't worth a carburetor or worse a saw run lean and a scored cylinder.

london neil in the USA we tend to be able to get
91 octane no ehtanol
87octane 10% Ethanol E10
88 octane 15% Ethanol E15
85% Ethanol E85
93 octane 10% ethanol , E10 premium

many states are pushing E15 and making it the only option at the pump.

many places no ethanol 91 octane is not an option.

in places that you can't buy Ethanol free canned fuel there are a number of brands and can be about 5-6 dollars a quart for the off brand and 7.50 a quart for name brand like Husquavarna you weigh out the cost 3 dollars a gallon for no E gas an 1.99 a gallon for the oil 5 dollars a gallon or buy it by the quart for 5-6 dolalrs a quart but use it all.

my dad lives in a county where NO-E gas can not be sold , he would drive 20 miles one way to buy NO-E gas at a station that sells it for 3.30 a gallon the thing is he only runs his string trimmer any more and uses about a quart all summer so pre-mix 2 stroke fuel is a better option for him.

the cost of driving 40 miles even if you have the time is still 2 gallons of gas now your 1 gallon of mix is gone from 5 dollars to 9 dollars currently E10 is 2 dollars a gallon.

isn't propping up corn fun , we could just plant more trees and have a lot less wasted energy.

Gas
Nieghbor works on snowmobiles. He bought 4gls of non oxy at Mills FF out of their dedicated pump. Filled a completely emptied dry gas tank on an old Polaris with it. Let it sit inside the heated shop overnight.

Came back the next day started the sled to get the final tune... Barely idled and would only rev up a little with the choke on.

Was stymied as he had just gone completely through the fuel system. Finally he poured some of the gas into a mason jar. Let sit for like 7 mins 10% water!

No moral to the storey except imo E-10 or E-15 would have probably absorbed the water and burned anyways... That was his conclusion why spend .50 more for high octane non oxy if the low oxy gas is as good or better. Sleds only run about 140 lbs compression anyway.

I told him to turn a report in to the state weights and measures. They would pull a test!

Oil
For years I ran whatever in my saws. Then I hang out here and thought I needed X-Brand synthetic super oil. Which works great. But wait this one does this better blah blah blah ..

So starting here on out I am getting reclaimed snowmobile oil from my buddy. He empties reservoirs into gallon jugs and I have an endless supply of high quality oil. Just have to give it a shake like the old straight 30SAE days just in case. Don't get me wrong I run it 32:1 and will keep an eye on the tune when I get a "new jug".

No I don't have AT or MT saws if I did maybe 42:1 !

That's part of the issue with rec gas / 91 no-E often it sits , you almost need the whole snowmobile club to agee on one station to ensure a fresh supply, you can also have a new delivery driver not put the lid on right it rains and water in the fuel. You should have seen how much water was in the air plane fuel but the plane had a test spigot on the underside of each wing. Before each flight we checked it and kept going till there was no water. issue with E% gas is i have seen a number of new saws used once and sit 6 month and carb is gummed up. Carburetors add up in cost fast.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Same as Trapper Pete, 91 no ethanol, separate hoses for other gas, same station all the Harley guys use. As for oil, i found a deal on Weed Eater/Poulan EZ mix synthetic at Menards. $3.49 treats 6ish gallons at 40:1, and 11% rebate. Also they will ship it, but it adds up to about double the rebate amount.

that is a good point about the Harley guys they do all seem to use that same station as do the boats and it is right off the snowmobile trial also.

Pump gas, 0% ethanol, whatever octane comes out.
STP 2-Cycle engine oil that I get from AutoZone.
Mix at 32:1, fuel stabilizer, and a dash of carb cleaner just to keep things bright and shiny on the insides.

Yes, I understand that the addition of carb cleaner and stabilizer works against my mix ratio, so I usually go 4 and-a-bit ounces per gallon on the oil.

91 e free because I can get it now. When I couldn't, I used premium (usually 93) from a station that turned out a lot of fuel.

Oil.... Amsoil Saber if course. Why? Because it is the best. JK, it turns the gas blue, blue is my favorite color and being red/green color blind it's the easiest color for me to see. I use Stihl hp ultra in my 4mix stuff about twice a year for the detergent aspect.

I seen a quart of pennzoil 2 stroke marine outboard oil at walmart for $ 3.99
I have used snowmobile oil for my saws before, so I would assume this would work good as well. thats pretty cheap!!

Latest posts

Back