What Saw(s) Should I Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As a warning, I strongly advise never running a ported saw for the first time if you don't plan on buying one. I even more strongly advise against three different ported saws running square file on the same day. I made the mistake of running @MustangMike 's excellent representatives from Mastermind and Smitty last Friday.

I parted ways with my old Husky and little Johnny very recently. The Husky needed to be torn down and the little M36 just wasn't ever much of a saw. The proceeds from those will buy me a nice bar and chain for a new saw anyhow.

With the 550 I've got the limbing and small bucking arena coveted. I guess I'm thinking of adding a larger saw, perhaps 372 and ship it down to Tennessee. I'd also look to pick up a used small saw as a beater to ride in the truck/loaner saw/something for the kids to learn on.

Thoughts? I prefer Husky orange but will honestly consider all brands. Figured I might start by trolling the classifieds here to see what might pop up.

you can buy a 365 have it shipped to TN and it will be a lot meaner than some ported 372's i have seen.

It depends on what you can find. A lot of people buy a 6400 or home Depot makita 6401 and then upgrade with a 7910 p and c. I would go oem for getting it ported.

I was lucky and got my 7900 for $25 Ina box and pieced it together with the help of members here. I always heard about the high praise they got and have been impressed but mine is stock. I've run a 372 and 044 and prefer the dolmar. Shes a beast and i love it. It just seems to have more torque and holds rpm better in the cut. Very smooth too. That's MY experience. Stock air filtration isn't the best but the HD filter upgrade is top notch.

Dolmar just doesn't have the market share. They're not as popular and so u don't see as many stock or modified. They do seem to be good performers stock. Kind of like solo. I think it's a shame they aren't as well known outside sites like this. I've grown tired of the stihl vs husq crap and enjoy having something different that just as good (if not better in some ways) than the big 2. But that's just my opinion.

I would like to send my 6100 and 7900 out but I don't think that would fit well on the wedding registry lol.

Sorry for the wall of text. I tried to break it up and not rant too much haha

Well, if you have a 550 you really like, and you are going for just one more saw, I would agree with a 7900/10, or even a 385XP or a 390XP. Skip that 70.7cc business.

MS391. Baddest saw ever. You won't have to get it ported, cause it's such a badass. It'll pull a 42" bar thru oak all day. Anyone who would recommend any echo saw has never run a 391. Echo's suck donkey balls, unless they happen to be a backpack blower, Stihl MS391 for the win. It's the same saw as the 291, but more stronger!

MS391. Baddest saw ever. You won't have to get it ported, cause it's such a badass. It'll pull a 42" bar thru oak all day. Anyone who would recommend any echo saw has never run a 391. Echo's suck donkey balls, unless they happen to be a backpack blower, Stihl MS391 for the win. It's the same saw as the 291, but more stronger!
images (24).jpg images (9).jpg

Latest posts

Back