What Saw(s) Should I Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any of the saws you are hearing about will be overkill for what you are saying you are going to be cutting. The performance of the saws you tried was at least 50% due to their chain and sprocket. For any wood up to 20" a ported 60cc saw with a sharp chain will keep up with any of the mentioned saws unless your stop watch can go down to .001. The least expensive way to get into a performance saw is to buy a 356XT and have MM or any of the reputable porters work it. Removing the restrictor baffles and opening it up brings it to life. Then learn to sharpen a chain and go cut cookies with the best of them. But for me, I don't cut much above 20" any more. A ported 50 or 60cc saw is so much lighter and responsive that I don't dread lugging it around for 4 or 5 hours. I've owned ported 85 and 90 cc saws and they are good tools for the right job. I don't have wood around that requires that large of a saw. If you just want to have a big saw, then go for it. Just don't be surprised when the guy running the 60cc saw is finished and cleaning up when you are huffing and puffing.
I hear what you are saying. But after running a ported 362 back to back with a stock and ported 044 over 9 hours of cutting I can tell you IMO that the small gain in weight isn't nearly as noticeable as the increase in power of jumping up to the 70+ cc class. Even though the 550 will do anything that I ask of it, I want a saw that is noticeably more powerful, and to me the pro 60 cc saws weigh nearly as much as the 70cc saws but only have .25-.8 more HP than a 550

50/70cc combo is tough to beat...just sayin.

Let's be honest, a ported saw is NOT necessary to cut firewood. But they sure are fun :)
I guess my train of thought currently is to locate a gently used 372, 4 series Stihl, or Dolmar and have it done up. After mods I am in for a little less than a new saw.

another HUGE 7900/7910 fan here and would strongly suggest a good 2 saw plan in 50cc and 70-80cc. However...

I will be practical and tell you there are other 70cc saws that will cover 18-24" wood and be lighter than a 7900. I you are going to carry the weight of the 6400/7900 series you might as well have the 79cc or 85cc bbk top end on it. In all honesty the 7900 is a 28-32" bar saw. really fun with a 24" and 404 chain. That 404 will last all day cutting but do you want to carry the weight when a 372xp or a 562xp will cover everything you will need in 24" and under. You'll just have to balance what you want with what you want to spend. Strong ported 60cc (562, etc) is more money but less weight. 70cc (7900, 441, etc) will probably be cheaper than a ported 60cc but be more weight.

562xp = 12.8lbs
7910 = 14.7lbs
441cm = 14.6lbs

I know tree services that are turning in their 044/440's for the 562's...

another HUGE 7900/7910 fan here and would strongly suggest a good 2 saw plan in 50cc and 70-80cc. However...

I will be practical and tell you there are other 70cc saws that will cover 18-24" wood and be lighter than a 7900. I you are going to carry the weight of the 6400/7900 series you might as well have the 79cc or 85cc bbk top end on it. In all honesty the 7900 is a 28-32" bar saw. really fun with a 24" and 404 chain. That 404 will last all day cutting but do you want to carry the weight when a 372xp or a 562xp will cover everything you will need in 24" and under. You'll just have to balance what you want with what you want to spend. Strong ported 60cc (562, etc) is more money but less weight. 70cc (7900, 441, etc) will probably be cheaper than a ported 60cc but be more weight.

562xp = 12.8lbs
7910 = 14.7lbs
441cm = 14.6lbs

I know tree services that are turning in their 044/440's for the 562's...
My previous main saw was the 2165 which it think is a shade over 14lbs PHO. So if I could get something that is near that weight with way more power that would put a smile on my face. Also with a high end bar I know several ounces can be saved.

The 2165 ripped through softwood but when cutting dried out hardwood it sure seemed small. @MustangMike 's modded 044 and 046 darn near had to be held back (Tim Allen grunt)

Once you get a 70-75cc saw dialed in ,Chain will be a next to dial in ,chain makes the saw in my opinion .

people ask me how to get more power from a saw and I always tell them a properly sharpened chain gives you the best power your saw can provide. That comment usually gets followed by a 20min tutorial on how to sharpen chain.

Yeah I already got the crash course on square file from Mike so I'm convinced of the benefits of the dark side LOL

if you are in clean wood then yes... semi-chisel is the most used around here. to many fence rows with chain and metal in them.

If you own a ported saw.......but can't tune it properly, it's sort of a luck of the draw thing as to whether or not it's gonna perform as it should. The same could be said for chain. Having a ported saw with a sub-par chain is less than ideal......and is not gonna be too impressive.

If you own a ported saw.......but can't tune it properly, it's sort of a luck of the draw thing as to whether or not it's gonna perform as it should. The same could be said for chain. Having a ported saw with a sub-par chain is less than ideal......and is not gonna be too impressive.
I have some practicing to do with hand filing but pretty much have the tuning thing figured out.

Sounds like you and I have that in common. My square filing sucks.

I've been using a goofy file lately.......that is easier.

I run a 20" on the 7900 and have a 32". Basically having the 20" just means i get to use it more lol. It does get heavy but honestly it makes such short work of stuff that im done sooner and it evens out haha. And its so smooth...

However, the 6100 will still get most of the use this year. Mainly due to fuel consumption, air filtration, weight etc. This spring when we were cleaning up some hedge rows my dad was running the 7900 to drop and buck some trees while I was fighting the saplings and brush with the little Tanaka. Whenever he would let off the throttle, you could hear it echo down the valley and it kind of sounded like a snowmobile in the distance... Bad ass. This story means absolutely nothing but was a warm and fuzzy feeling moment for me considering the time, effort and cash that went in the 7900.

50/70cc combo is tough to beat...just sayin.

Let's be honest, a ported saw is NOT necessary to cut firewood. But they sure are fun :)
I agree.... too little difference in power to just jump up to a 60cc saw.... just not that much more than a 50 cc saw in my opinion....
even better is to have a nice little 50cc for limbing or small stuff and a 77cc saw for the bigger stuff that will make you smile everytime you run it......Stihl just happens to make one of those ya know.....lol.;)

I agree.... too little difference in power to just jump up to a 60cc saw.... just not that much more than a 50 cc saw in my opinion....
even better is to have a nice little 50cc for limbing or small stuff and a 77cc saw for the bigger stuff that will make you smile everytime you run it......Stihl just happens to make one of those ya know.....lol.;)

If you're hinting at a 461 those are very impressive saws. If I were in the market for a new 70-80cc saw that would be high on my list if not at the top. I was blown away by the one I ran. But I hear they are quite pricey...

Back