What Saw(s) Should I Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I like the 60/85cc combo. The 60cc saw is light enough to limb with yet big enough with a 18" to cut up to 24" stumps. The 85cc saw is more comfortable cutting the 24" and larger trees and up through 40" with a 24" bar. I won't come across much wood larger than that and if I do the 85cc saw can accommodate a larger bar if I can afford the doughnuts.

If I already had a 50cc saw I would be looking at mid 70cc's just like you already are.

Personally I like the 60/85cc combo. The 60cc saw is light enough to limb with yet big enough with a 18" to cut up to 24" stumps. The 85cc saw is more comfortable cutting the 24" and larger trees and up through 40" with a 24" bar. I won't come across much wood larger than that and if I do the 85cc saw can accommodate a larger bar if I can afford the doughnuts.
Not counting old yard trees in town, I can think of only two spots in northeastern MN that has trees near 40" and those are either giant cedars or virgin white pine. So probably a bit overkill for me lol

If you're hinting at a 461 those are very impressive saws. If I were in the market for a new 70-80cc saw that would be high on my list if not at the top. I was blown away by the one I ran. But I hear they are quite pricey...
I agree, not exactly cheap.... how much does a new 7900 run? They look pretty comparable in weight and power as I recollect. Kinda purdy too....

A 70cc saw is capable of handling 40"+ trees anyway if the need ever arose.

img_0780-jpg.428984

Not counting old yard trees in town, I can think of only two spots in northeastern MN that has trees near 40" and those are either giant cedars or virgin white pine. So probably a bit overkill for me lol
A 70cc saw is capable of handling 40"+ trees anyway if the need ever arose.

img_0780-jpg.428984

Buncha lucky bastages.........welcome to the Desert.
Cactus.png

What Steve and I encountered is about what I typically encounter around here. While most of the trees are smaller, you get a fair number of real hardwoods (Ash, Hard Maple, etc) in the 20" - 30" range.

The ported 70+ ccs saws save so much time bucking this stuff up over the ported 60 cc that is is almost embarrassing, and since we were dropping "woods trees" the square file chain did it's thing (I have it on all my saws).

I still think that ported 046 on the trading site is a hard deal to beat. By the time you pay for porting & shipping back and forth (to the porter) it would be hard to find a nicer saw for less. And whoever bought that ported 044 from Randy for $550 a few weeks ago got a steal!

Back