What Saw(s) Should I Get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was told by a member from a state north/east of New York that port work doesn't make a difference and muffler mods only make the saw louder........

But he also said the Poulan 2050 is awesome......
Lol.
Looks like the 7900's are about 900 bucks checking online, but maybe a dealer could sell one for less. I have a great Stihl/Husky dealer in my area....sold me the 461R (3/4 wrap, 32"bar, dual dogs and HO oiler) for around 890 bucks before tax.... seemed like a good deal.

Lol.
Looks like the 7900's are about 900 bucks checking online, but maybe a dealer could sell one for less. I have a great Stihl/Husky dealer in my area....sold me the 461R (3/4 wrap, 32"bar, dual dogs and HO oiler) for around 890 bucks before tax.... seemed like a good deal.
That is a good deal!

There is a Dolmar dealer 12 miles from my cabin but I don't think I have ever seen anything larger than a 6100 on his shelf. I will ask for pricing next time I am up.

I guess my train of thought currently is to locate a gently used 372, 4 series Stihl, or Dolmar and have it done up. After mods I am in for a little less than a new saw.
A couple of thoughts: If I'm looking to cut 14"- 24"ø hardwood and have a 550xp, I'd get that ported and run an 18" bar w/ sharp semi-chisel chain. Another option is a stock used 70cc saw, like you mentioned; IMHO, 70cc saws handle that size/type of wood just fine w/o porting. I have learned that carrying a 50cc and a 70cc saw around in the woods all day, along with water, fuel, oil, etc., is a losing proposition :(; gotta pick one saw according to the work and your fitness level. If you've got access to a 4-wheeler, then by all means bring along a couple of saws and enjoy your good fortune. :) Difficult terrain, however, and you're going to be on foot carrying one saw. I'd pick the ported 550xp for flat-out working efficiency 'cause I'm 65 and can't run up mountains anymore.

A 70cc saw is capable of handling 40"+ trees anyway if the need ever arose.

img_0780-jpg.428984

i do up to that size with my 562 and 20" just for fun LOL i've seen guys take 18' cedars with a 70cc saw. they are all wimpy soft woods though o_O

Sir Yes Sir

The top cutter is just doing the work of a chisel, the real cutting is at the corner and the side plate, so, if goofy has a round side plate, I don't know if I would bother with it. What is the benefit???

When you get a little used to square file, you will "feel" the file fall into place. Make sure you keep the corner lined up, go straight with the file, and don't have any gap in the top plate. As Steve can tell you, I can sharpen it just as fast as I can do round by hand. But I set up differently than I do with round, the saw has to be lower. And I set up the same every time (I even brought my little stool up with me, one with wheels supposed to be for doing breaks).

I try to imitate that video that Brian did on Square file sharpening. If you file the top plate too shallow, the chain will not feed well.

A couple of thoughts: If I'm looking to cut 14"- 24"ø hardwood and have a 550xp, I'd get that ported and run an 18" bar w/ sharp semi-chisel chain. Another option is a stock used 70cc saw, like you mentioned; IMHO, 70cc saws handle that size/type of wood just fine w/o porting. I have learned that carrying a 50cc and a 70cc saw around in the woods all day, along with water, fuel, oil, etc., is a losing proposition :(; gotta pick one saw according to the work and your fitness level. If you've got access to a 4-wheeler, then by all means bring along a couple of saws and enjoy your good fortune. :) Difficult terrain, however, and you're going to be on foot carrying one saw. I'd pick the ported 550xp for flat-out working efficiency 'cause I'm 65 and can't run up mountains anymore.
I do need a second reliable saw regardless. I have thought about scrounging up a clean 346XP and getting that ported.

I do need a second reliable saw regardless. I have thought about scrounging up a clean 346XP and getting that ported.
OK. Then I'd look for a clean, low-hour 372xp to make a nice 50-70cc Husky plan. I got a couple of MS440's a few years ago on CL and am happy with them, but I hardly see them (or 044's) anymore except for way more than they're worth. If you want the 372xp ported, I'd buy new, but I think it would be overkill for the wood you're planning to cut.

Shouldn't a super logger like you be in the woods with a saw running?

i'm on my 6th day in a row of doing nothing. it's great. i'm not big time so i gotta make do with raking up the scraps for now LOL plus, i start early and usually done before noon cause of fire season. i've been working for a bunch of fly by night first nations last 2 months. have you ever heard of indian time? how's the cookie cutting going? did you beat your last time?

Latest posts

Back