What saw would YOU buy for stumping with a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What new 90-100cc saw should I buy for a 36" B&C?

• Total voters
Squish was .042" from the factory with compression of 158. Without the gasket, squish is .023". I got the port timings with the gasket out.

Exhuast - 101°
Transfers - 120°
Intake - 77°
Blowdown - 19°

Someone mentioned the transfers being higher than you liked and with less blowdown than desired. I don't see anything wrong with this one. What was the port timing on yours? BTW, this is a 2010 model. Must have been in inventory for a while.

Blowdown as low as 14 to 16 degrees isnt uncommon on the 395s. My 03 model had 16 degrees of blowdown stock. However, i just done up another cylinder for it with a combustion chamber cut and that cylinder had 19 degrees of blowdown too. The newer cylinders must have a little more blowdown than the older ones.

Your compression will come up some too. Mine was at 185 with no gasket and the squish at .029ish IIRC. I haven't checked the cut chamber cylinder yet.

Last edited:
Unless you guys can come up with another suggestion, I'm thinking new M660

Im actually very happy with my ms660. I bought it along with a couple of other saws but intended to sell it as I dont use the really big saws often enough to warrant having that many over 90cc saws, but this one is considerably more nimble and responsive than I had expected. Its got strong power too, although maybe not as much grunt as the modded 066 I got rid of recently.

Mind you, if i was looking at a new or newish 90cc+ saw, id be quite interested in the Dolmar 9010. I know they have discontinued or at least put them on hold for now, but would be wanting to at least throw that in the mix until I had decided.

Last edited:
Very nice saw Brad:msp_thumbsup::msp_thumbup: I have always wanted one too. Now I have the 372-044- 2101- 660 a 1100cd coming and a 288xp that will be my first rebuild. So my collection may be complete when I get a 394 and a 395:cool2: I am sold on the es light bars, thanks to you guy's. Have em on all the saws at work, when I get the money here all my saws will have them.

I thought i read somewhere that it was a case protector, but kickstand does make a lot more sense as its not big enough to protect much. Mines got the big dogs, it does set a bit crooked lol.

I think Brad will like this 395. I know they're about my favorite saw anyways!:msp_thumbup:

It is a case protector. The early 394s would get hit with flying sticks in that part of the case in western cutting conditions and it would break the case out.
I have a whole pile of early case halves with chunks broken out in that area.

In addition to being a case protector it also has additional mounts for screw-on buffers which stiffen that front part of the tank for running longer bars.

She's done, back and back together. This saw likes fuel. Each of the three clips in the vid are progressively richer. The last is the faster, but I had also touched up the chain and knocked the dirty bark off the wood. This is one torquey beast. It's now wearing an 8-pin rim, and pulls it stronger than it did the 7-pin stock.

[video=youtube_share;zLuCFLzUGwA]http://youtu.be/zLuCFLzUGwA[/video]

I realize swapping sprockets throws it off, but it's 95% faster than the stock vid, and before the chain sharpening. After the chain sharpening, it's 107% faster than in the stock vid.

The saw's cooling off now. I'll pull a compression check a little later.

The last 395 I build would pull 36" full comp 8 pin no problem.

What timing #'s did you end up with Brad?

I left the exhaust and transfer port timing alone, only widening them. I did drop the intake just a little, to clean it up a bit.

Exhaust - 101
Transfers - 120
Intake - 80

Compression is already 180 PSI, and it's only wearing one ring.

I left the exhaust and transfer port timing alone, only widening them. I did drop the intake just a little, to clean it up a bit.

Exhaust - 101
Transfers - 120
Intake - 80

Compression is already 180 PSI, and it's only wearing one ring.

Nice. I've always done machine work to mine, and don't think I've ever gone past 100 deg on a 395, to me they seem to be real happy there. Couple big ex ports help too.

Back