What saw would YOU buy for stumping with a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What new 90-100cc saw should I buy for a 36" B&C?

• Total voters
whats the porpose of a 8 pin sprocket ? i get the chain speed ,but wouldnt that hurt the tourque in 3 foot wood ?

Brad nice saw I love it good work also and it is nice to finally see a True Stihl guy that gives credit where its due I like the fact that you are being open minded to all the pro-saws and as a Husky guy it's sure nice to hear the truth for once and the the question not danced around I would like to see a 660 with that little of work done to it keep up and also stay together as long. Now don't get me wrong I also think that Stihl makes a great saw it is just that Husky makes saws with that cuts faster for less money and the are much easier to mod. Nice build I am impressed.

Oh buy the way I Know for a fact that the Tilly HS298A is the carb to run on these saws . The Tilly has a much bigger venturi I am pretty sure it is like 21.5mm or maybe 20.5mm I just went trough this with my 390xp build But I know that the Tilly is the bigger because I bought the Walbro first and realized that the venturi was the same size as the 390xp's walbro carb's venturi was so I found out that the pre-epa 395xp has a Tilly HS298A Carb so I bought one much larger venturi and it works great. Anyway NICE SAW!!

Brad nice saw I love it good work also and it is nice to finally see a True Stihl guy that gives credit where its due I like the fact that you are being open minded to all the pro-saws and as a Husky guy it's sure nice to hear the truth for once and the the question not danced around I would like to see a 660 with that little of work done to it keep up and also stay together as long. Now don't get me wrong I also think that Stihl makes a great saw it is just that Husky makes saws with that cuts faster for less money and the are much easier to mod. Nice build I am impressed.

Oh buy the way I Know for a fact that the Tilly HS298A is the carb to run on these saws . The Tilly has a much bigger venturi I am pretty sure it is like 21.5mm or maybe 20.5mm I just went trough this with my 390xp build But I know that the Tilly is the bigger because I bought the Walbro first and realized that the venturi was the same size as the 390xp's walbro carb's venturi was so I found out that the pre-epa 395xp has a Tilly HS298A Carb so I bought one much larger venturi and it works great. Anyway NICE SAW!!

My 390 has A tilly HS296A, same with the 385 I'm working on too. Wonder what the diff is.

I will definately be checking into that. Thanks for the tip!

Mine has the HS298, but I've never checked the venturi in it, probably do that in a few days.

It doesn't take wild numbers to make a 395 a good runner IMO. Here's mine I just finished up.
photobucket-2259-1337020154088.jpg

Last edited:
When are you gonna take that beast over to that property with the huge pin oaks and show us what it will really do?:biggrinbounce2:

I've got a few logs that the 36" bar probably won't reach through if you need something to really break it in on:potstir:

the limb that hit you wasnt but a few inches. theres men that have been killed by 2'' limbs. my uncle being one of them.

Back