What saw would YOU buy for stumping with a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What new 90-100cc saw should I buy for a 36" B&C?

• Total voters
I read a bit of this thread to see if a 394xp would be a nice addition, but from the sounds of it I think I will just hang on to my 066. If I want more weight and power I still have my 2100.

I read a bit of this thread to see if a 394xp would be a nice addition, but from the sounds of it I think I will just hang on to my 066. If I want more weight and power I still have my 2100.

MEH, disbeliever. I had a 066, I'll never have another. I love my 395's

That means you would have an Echo....;)

Ouch!!!!!! That word isn't in my vocab.

The 394/5 is strictly a big bar saw. Would you run a 24" on a 2100? No, even with an 8 pin it would be slowly then a nice 70cc saw. Like my PP655, it came with a 24" on it... no wonder why they wanted to sell it. The largest bar I own is a 42" and the 394 still cuts circles around the 2100 with it. Plus your hands and arms thank you for the far superior anti-vibe of the 394/5, it's just plain smooth. I still cut some with the 2100 but mostly because it's just cool!

My 066BB was quite a lot stronger than my 064/066 build-off saw. I knew that long before the GTG. In the build-off cant, it cut a 25.xx. My 395 is cutting right with the 064/066, meaning it's not as strong as my 066BB was.

I just remembered this morning that Paul's 390 spanked all of the 066/660s at the build-off in 20" wood. Add another 1mm to the bore with a 395 piston, and what's not to like? As far as saws go, I much prefer the 390 to the 395. The 395 is significantly bigger and heavier than the 390, or the 660 for that matter. I also do not like the outboard clutch, and was shocked to see an inboard chain tension adjuster. If I can make a 390 as strong, or stronger than a 395, then I'm all over that.

I'd love to see Paul's 390 against Komatsuvarna's 395 in big wood.

Ya should have come to Tennessee yesterday Brad ;).

Mdavlee and myself run these saws. Both saws cut EXACTLY the same time in a 26'' to 28''ish Red oak log wearing the same chain and 30'' bar with an 8 pin. 13.91 was the number. We figured they would be close, but not that close! One things for sure, they're both damn good runners, and the 390 is lighter and more user friendly over the 395. Later :rock:

Both were real strong and had nice powerbands. I was surprised that they were even. Both cut under a 14 second cut in that wood. Hedgerows 9010 was about 1.5 seconds behind them.

Yesterday was the first I messed with mine since running it at the GTG two weeks ago. It's definately running stronger now. It will now run 11,800-12,000 with a good chain self feeding in the cut. It's got that snap and feel to it now that I expect out of a good ported saw. I'll have to find some big wood and make another set of timed cuts with the 064/066. They were neck and neck before yesterday.

Yesterday was the first I messed with mine since running it at the GTG two weeks ago. It's definately running stronger now. It will now run 11,800-12,000 with a good chain self feeding in the cut. It's got that snap and feel to it now that I expect out of a good ported saw. I'll have to find some big wood and make another set of timed cuts with the 064/066. They were neck and neck before yesterday.

Thats about what mine holds too, and I still got it tuned kinda fat at 12,500ish and it will hold 11,800 in the cut with a 24'' 8 pin in bar deep wood. Mine actually pulls harder at 12,5ish rather than 13,5ish. Me and Mike both noted that Pauls 390 does not turn many rpms out of the wood, but man oh man does it come alive when it goes in the wood :rock:!

This 395 likes to run fatter than any saw I've ever had. Some saws like to be leaned out to max power, but not this one. I'm still thinking the 390 might make a better all around saw though. It is just so much easier to handle and use.

This 395 likes to run fatter than any saw I've ever had. Some saws like to be leaned out to max power, but not this one. I'm still thinking the 390 might make a better all around saw though. It is just so much easier to handle and use.

:agree2:. Really like the inboard clutch and outboard chain adjuster of the 390....just like a bigger 372!!:D

Funny little story here. I checked the compression before firing it up yesterday. It only pulled 160. Hmmm, why's it down from the 180 it was pulling? Oh, the decomp was pushed in....and it still pulled 160:)

:laugh:

Yeah it doesn't take much to get good compression with these. My new cylinder was at 220lbs with one heat cycle :msp_scared:!

The oiler on the 395 puts out a ton more oil than a 390. I did notice with the 390 oiler all the way up the chain was a little dryer than I like on that 30" bar. The 395 had the drive links wet. To me the weight and handling isn't that big of difference. I kinda like the 395 holding the bar on for you when you swap chains.

Back