What saw would YOU buy for stumping with a 36" bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What new 90-100cc saw should I buy for a 36" B&C?

• Total voters
All good points. I guess one just needs to figure out what best suits themselves and roll with it :rock:.

A 56mm 390 would be cool :).

Me new toy:clap: Well a few actually. P.S In a mainly Stihl crowd when I grew Up I always, loved both, and showed quite a few Stihl only guys, Husky deserved much respect!

395 then send it to tree monkey for porting:D

Now that's the best advice ive seen yet Brad!!! I will bet my life on it that he would not Molest it. In fact he would take special care and make LOVE to it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Later Troy!

Brad, I've broke a Bunch of those side mount chain adjusters on 064+044 s . Sometimes when a cut comes free it will clap together on the top of the bar. If the chain is still turning under power it can shove the bar backwards.

I cut more timber with 394 s than 064 s and have Never broke a chain adjuster on a 394 . or a 281/288/2100/2101/056 ect.
IMO. the side access chain adjuster is one modern marvel we could have lived very well WITHOUT. !!!!! .

just sayin. I've lost enough time cutting to more than pay for you to hope up a daw for me. to them.

Last edited:
I understand and appreciate your perspective. Durability is of utmost importance in your line of work. However, I don't see how an inboard chain tensioner is more robust than an outboard one. They both have the same components and functionality. Perhaps the parts are just beefier/stronger on the 395. There's a reason why it weighs significantly more. It is built like a tank.

BTW, I'm enjoying the conversation. It's nice to get feedback from those that have experience from the field.

BTW, I'm enjoying the conversation. It's nice to get feedback from those that have experience from the field.

Me too Brad. I've been reading right along with little to add. My experience is limited with all saws when it comes to using one day after day. I can comment on cut speed, build quality, ease of disassembly, etc....but I don't use any one saw enough to say how well it will hold up in a logging environment.

I will say this though. I want a 395XP to keep in my collection.

were gonna have to ship brad out west to do a test on the 395 now ,in the timber it seems it was designed for

I'm very much still undecided. In my mind, the 395 needs to be spectacular to win my affection. IMHO, it has several disadvantages over the 390 and 660. I do not like outboard clutches. I was shocked to see that it still has an inboard chain tension adjuster. It's also much heavier, larger, and bulkier. So far, I haven't seen it do anything a 390 or 660 couldn't do. What I can't speak for is durability and longevity in a demanding environment. I'll never wear out any of these models, so it's not a factor in my decision making. I VERY much like the 390. I really want to build one with a 395 piston. That might be the cat's meow....maybe not. Either way, I enjoy the search.

Keep in mind, I'm only interested in what these saws can do with a 36" B&C. Would the 395 shine with a 42" bar? Maybe, but that's not what I'm looking for.

Yesterday I advanced the ignition 6°. I also swapped back in the original carb. The Tilly HS just wouldn't tune right, particularly on the low side. It runs perfectly now with the original carb back on. It also seemed to really like the advanced ignition. I now need to get it back in bigger wood and see how it does against the 064/066.

Brad, just send your 395xp to Mastermind. The 395xp he did was 3 seconds faster than my 390xp. That should be enough to win anyones affection.

Brad, just send your 395xp to Mastermind. The 395xp he did was 3 seconds faster than my 390xp. That should be enough to win anyones affection.

There's no satisfaction for me in that. Anyone can buy a port job. I'll get it where I want it, if it's not already there. Besides, I already have Randy's numbers. The only thing it doesn't have is a popup or squish band cut.

As far as the weight It depends on what you get used to. When I was running 2100 s the 064 was very light . The 044 felt like a toy When I started running 394 s I could hold it by the pistol grip reach out and start boring cuts while hanging off a steep bank or rock bluff while hanging onto a root, limb or berry brush with my left hand. I could point an control the tip of the 36" bar with no problem. I can't do that anymore
But at that time the 394 wasn't heavy.

There's no satisfaction for me in that. Anyone can buy a port job. I'll get it where I want it, if it's not already there. Besides, I already have Randy's numbers. The only thing it doesn't have is a popup or squish band cut.

Come on Brad when are you going to a lathe? I have a friend:msp_wink: that has a new 390 that may need some work done.

Speaking of 390's...

e6eb5cfc.jpg

676db21f.jpg

Back