What's the best deal you ever got on a saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought an 026, 200t and a echo hand held blower from a guy I worked with for $250 (not they weren't stolen) I sold the 026 for $200 and the blower for $65 so I made $15 plus the 200t...

O28 wood boss

Found a o28 wood boss at the junk yard as it was being thrown off the truck , the ex owner told me the crank bearing was almost siezed up. so when the saw hit the ground , i picked it up and paid 5 dollars for it took it home the saw had like new compression put new fuel line on it as it was cracked put race gas mixture in it , fired right up the next week hurricane Irene came thru , i used it in the city of richmond va. for a couple of weeks and on the side of the road with va. department of transportation clearing streets..... I love these deals.... david:bowdown:

Last edited:
A 372 xp for 200, and a tree takedown that took a half hour, and was able to leave the brush, and take the usable wood. It did rain that day here is a pic of John my best buddy climbing the pine, too top it. Before that 4-5 years ago I got a low hour 660 for 450$ Done some big job's, and been reliable as hell. Did have to replace the carb last summer, but can't complain it has earned it's keep over, and over. First pic the 372, and my 044. Then the 660 plastic was a littled fade from prior owner, but low hour, and P&C were perfect. Next The tree and John climbing it. I had a thread I started the yardsale 372.

I came acrossed a Craftsman 3.3 with a 20in bar and carrying case for 40 bucks...ad said it wont start. So I offered 25 and he took it. About 4 dollars in fuel line and a nice wipe down and carb adjustment it sold on ebay for $150...I could do those deals all day!!

Got a 385xp with 32" Oregon LW bar and chain off of craigs list for 250 bones:

large.jpg

large.jpg

Had Brad port it. Used it for some work in Oregon and England.

large.jpg

large.jpg

Sold it in England for £550 - roughly equivalent to $890 at the time.

About the only time i really came out OK on a deal in a long time.

bought a like new ms460 from a pawn shop for 300. they put a sticker over the ms460 tag. told me it was a 311j model. ( that was the emission sticker) said they could only find one one ebay and it sold for 300. So thats what they wanted. Sometimes you get lucky.

homelite

yard sale homelite super xl automatic.the man said it was siezed and wanted 25.00 i talked him down to 5.00,took it home fixed the recoil and ran the saw for the next 12 years.when it finally did sieze i took it to the dump smiling!!and now 15 years later i'm starting to get some of the feeling back in my hands!!!:D:D

i never really got any great deals. got kinda sorta hosed on a 660 for $375, missed a running 361 for $150 (someone here got it but i don't remember who).

my dad gave me his stock ms290 with 20" bar for helping him move. He didn't like it compared to his 036 and 044 that have been running great for about 20 years. Just did a muffler mod on it to open it up a bit so it can pull the 20" bar better.

I got a 044 in good shape for $150. Got a 288xp for free. It only needed a P/C kit. Man that saw is smooth, and feels unbelievably light for a big saw.

Echo top handle at an auction, bent bar and no chain. Easiest starting saw I have ever owned. Usually pops on the first pull and fires up and goes on the second. $17.00

Best deal was a toasted Stihl 026 in very good shape for $25.00. The second best deal was two boxes of
Stihl 044 parts. Built one saw from them, and sold the balance of the parts. Came out WAY AHEAD on
that deal. Happy Sawing! :D

You didn't?!:cry: That was probably the strongest 385/390 I ever ported.

And it's currently MILLING up in Nothern Ireland. Great chap bought it, too. Woulda like to meet him in person.

I have 3 saws that I have mildly ported I gave or sold to folks in England or Ireland.

You have at least 2 now! You need to get a move on!

Latest posts

Back