What's the best deal you ever got on a saw??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably that Homelite S-XL925 for $20 bucks that ran with a carb kit and fuel line replacement...still use it 7 years later.

Maybe that Husqvarna 455 I got for $150 bucks from the local TSC store..it was a customer turn in who complained the chain/bar stuck after a few minutes of cutting. I bought it last year, filed a little burr off the chain (Right after the BIG ice storm of that year) and use it now. It was in like new condition..might have had 20 minutes or run time...homeowner did his ice storm cleanup is my guess...or that person simply was saw craft clueless..pick one.

Last edited:
Three packs of frozen morels, five packs of venison, and one 14lbs. Coho salmon for a built to the hilt 385!

it's a close call

i got a mint echo 750evl for 20 at a garage sale, i asked if they had any saws and she came out of the basement with this. it only needed a new fuel lines. i also got a mint stihl 038 av super with 3 bars for 40 at a unorganized estate sale.
chainsaws023-1.jpg

chainsaws024.jpg

Nabbed a pair of ProMac 10-10s for free after a yard sale they didn't sell at. My XL12 was recovered from the town dump's scrap pile.

Got good deals on two of my most reliable saws - an 041 for like $50 and a 550 for $75.

attachment.php

i got a mint echo 750evl for 20 at a garage sale, i asked if they had any saws and she came out of the basement with this. it only needed a new fuel lines. i also got a mint stihl 038 av super with 3 bars for 40 at a unorganized estate sale.

Well..................you should be taken out back and beaten senseless.
Can I go with you this year?????

thats preety funny, you gotta ask at every sale if there are any chainsaws lying around they want to sell. those are usually the best deals. especially when theres a unknowing female selling the saw!

A couple of years ago I traded a brand new Husky 55 for two 090's c/w Alaska mill and a couple unused bars. Sold em on Ebay for 1600 I believe.
Gypo

None of these are stellar but...

044- paid $144 on Ebay then another $25 to get it shipped. A little worn looking but runs great to this day. 28" bar and 2 full skip chains. Older 10mm model but it's been a good saw for me
026- paid $75 from an AS member. Saw was in pieces, no bar, chain or recoil. Cleaned it all up, repainted it and gave it to my dad for Christmas 09. I ended up about $170 into it after a recoil, 18" bar and 2 chains and some misc parts
026 pro- recent CL find for $80. 20" bar, no chain, needs clutch springs, oil fill cap and an oiler worm gear. The bar might be useable but unsure.

Makita DCS 520

About 2002 I bought a DCS 520 NIB for $140 1 year after I forked out
$360 for a new Husqvarna 55. The only thing about the Makita deal
that still bothers me is there were 7 more @ same price/same condition.

Befriended a old retired tree feller down the street. Traded a tune up on his 036 pro and a clothes dryer for 2 044s and a ms260. I guess I was in the right place at the right time.

Hmm. Mine's a multi-step story:

1. By 039 from eBay
  2. Fry it. (28" bar, skip chain, oak slabwood hard as rock, hot day, newbie operator lugging it)
  3. Post pics and generally whine on AS about frying it.
  4. Get PM from AS member offering trade for BRAND NEW JD CS-52
  5. Pay shipping for 039.
  6. Get NEW, muffler modded CS-52 in mail.
  7. Run the snot out of it for about 5 years now.

:clap:

Oh, yeah, turns out the "039" was an 029 on the inside. :monkey:

No, I don't remember the eBay seller's name.

got a 026 free that needed fuel lines and paid $200 for a 2 year old 372xp. was the first husky i bought been hooked ever since

my best deal would be my jonsered 670 superII that I bought at a local consignment auction for $10. It had a tag from a repair shop that said "parts only". I took it home checked compression at 130 psi cold, put fresh fuel in it, and it ran decent after some carb tinkering, but didn't quite have the power it should. Pulled the muffler and it had slight scoring so I rebuilt it last year with a new meteor piston/rings and crank seals. Second best would be my 2149 that I bought at a pawn shop for $80 and its a clean good running saw.

3 weeks ago another deal. Man 70 miles away had several wood working and other type equipment for sale. Almost did not click on the link. Glad I did. Among planer, shaper, table saw, welder, sand blaster, and several hand tools was a Stihl 025 for $50. Turns out the man has had shoulder surgery and can no longer use equipment. Also turns out that we are have a mutual best friend. Small world. Last weekend, lady puts up several pieces of Stihl stuff to include an MS290 for $125. Sold! I gave her 130 since she threw in an almost full gallon of Stihl 2 cycle oil.

Craftsman 2.6PS
case
original manual
scwrench

Yard sale $5

that was 14 years ago
gas oil a few chains and a bar have been my only expenses
scwrench is now worn out
saw still runs great!

Last edited:
Best deal on a chainsaw for me was the two Homelite Super 2's given to me by my grandfathers(One maternal, the other paternal) at about the same time. Identical saws. One running(barely) and the other not. So i commenced to taking both, breaking them down and rebuilding into one good running saw! As you can imagine, a very special saw to me despite their small size. ;) They're both gone now but they still go to the woods with me from time to time!!!

Latest posts

Back