Whats the strangest thing you have ever cut/seen cut with a chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 ft grass snake in hollow log
an old pool table (after a few ML's, we thought this would be a good idea)
barb wire fence buried in tree, dont recommend this-chains dont like 'em

Trees.

Full of bullets.

Back of the firing ranges at work, every spring. Firebreak maintenance. Murder on bars and chains. Gotta do it, though, in order to get the dozer through, in order to get the grader through. Those roads ain't gonna maintain themselves.

1000+ lbs Blue Marlin

Background: After high school I spend several months cutting fish at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center in Nags Head, NC. During that time we cut mostly tuna, and dolfin, with a few sharks thrown in. We'd cut the fish in the evening when the boats came in, and the next day a truck from a cat food plant would show up and we'd load the guts, etc. into the truck in 4x4x4 vats for cat food.

Event: One day, we had a boat come in with a 1000+ lbs blue marlin. They usually tag and release these (apparently, they are not good eating), but this one got tail-wrapped with line and drowned. (Yes fish can drown...) They brought in the Marlin and hung it up on the rack and took photos etc. It stayed up on the rack until late that night when we finished cutting, then we were told..."before you go, you gotta go cut down that marlin..." Grudgingly, but somewhat excited we cut it down, loaded it into the pickup (it stuck out of the back of an 8' bed about 4 ft!), and took it back to our large walk in freezer and left it next to the totes full of that night's guts, etc. to be dealt with the next day.

Next day: We come in and start the day, and the cat food truck shows up. We start loading the scraps and realized that there is no way we can load up the marlin. It was 1000+ lbs, 10-12' long. After debating how to deal with this someone mentions, "...If we had a chainsaw, we'd be ok..." My boss says there is one in the shed. I won the rock-paper-scissors contest, and got to run the saw. This was my first time ever using a chain saw!!! It was an old echo with a 12-14 inch bar.

I'll set the scene...my co-workers were dragging the full-size marlin out of the freezer on to the deck while I was getting a crash course in chainsaw use from our maintenance guy. As you can imagine, a 12' long, 1000+ lbs marlin draws quite a crowd of tourists :popcorn: anywhere it goes, so by the time I stepped out of the cutting house there was quite a crowd. I was wearing my orange Grundens and had a pair of goggles on my head, with a chainsaw in my hand.

I stepped up to the marlin, pulled on my goggles and pulled the starter rope. It sprang to life and I revved the saw for a few seconds and immediately plunged the 12" bar into the side of the marlin, as blood, guts, and flesh started spraying onto my Grundens. :chainsaw: Surprizingly, a chainsaw does not cut through mushy, marlin flesh as fast as you want it to when you are cutting it into 7 separate pieces to load it onto a truck (it took about 15 minutes). As I was acting like the texas-chainsaw-massacrer...the tourists were starting to turn green...one little asian girl, sitting on her dad's shoulders, puked on his head. Others turned away in disgust, but for us it was bloody-stinky-nasty business-as-usual. The crowd disappeared faster than it had gathered.

After I finished cutting up the marlin, we dragged the 200 lbs. chunks of marlin up the loading ramp and man-handled them into the vats.

For me this was 2 things...my very first chainsaw experience and my strangest chainsaw experience.

Howdy Folks,

24 foot long stacks of wallboard off our longboard reject. We was using a 480 volt Holtec (i believe) saw with a bar over six feet long to do it. I walk past it everyday at work, I'm 6 foot 6 with my boots on and I have to look up to see the top. So its probably longer than 6 feet. I have had to repair the chain a few times and also make new loops for it. .404 round chisel stihl is what they bought for it. It don't work to good but it will cut it. I just drag them out with my fork truck whole.

v/r

Mike

Howdy Folks,

24 foot long stacks of wallboard off our longboard reject. We was using a 480 volt Holtec (i believe) saw with a bar over six feet long to do it. I walk past it everyday at work, I'm 6 foot 6 with my boots on and I have to look up to see the top. So its probably longer than 6 feet. I have had to repair the chain a few times and also make new loops for it. .404 round chisel stihl is what they bought for it. It don't work to good but it will cut it. I just drag them out with my fork truck whole.

v/r

Mike
A 480 volt electric saw, WOW You got any pics of that bad boy. Would be neat to see.

Took a palm tree out of a planter in the office of the Dean of Education at WIU when I worked there as campus arborist. Smoked up the office a little.

Nope,all uncircumcised here............:eek:

attachment.php

My knee, and I've always thought it would be cool to attack a bonfire with a saw, or maybe get somebody else to do it for me so I can watch, and not wity my saw....

....any takers?

LOL, Not while the fires going.......I hope. Could get nasty quick.

I believe that would be a good place to use those particular saws that run backwards occasionally. Otherwise you would set yer leg on fire!

Background: After high school I spend several months cutting fish at Oregon Inlet Fishing Center in Nags Head, NC. During that time we cut mostly tuna, and dolfin, with a few sharks thrown in. We'd cut the fish in the evening when the boats came in, and the next day a truck from a cat food plant would show up and we'd load the guts, etc. into the truck in 4x4x4 vats for cat food.

Event: One day, we had a boat come in with a 1000+ lbs blue marlin. They usually tag and release these (apparently, they are not good eating), but this one got tail-wrapped with line and drowned. (Yes fish can drown...) They brought in the Marlin and hung it up on the rack and took photos etc. It stayed up on the rack until late that night when we finished cutting, then we were told..."before you go, you gotta go cut down that marlin..." Grudgingly, but somewhat excited we cut it down, loaded it into the pickup (it stuck out of the back of an 8' bed about 4 ft!), and took it back to our large walk in freezer and left it next to the totes full of that night's guts, etc. to be dealt with the next day.

Next day: We come in and start the day, and the cat food truck shows up. We start loading the scraps and realized that there is no way we can load up the marlin. It was 1000+ lbs, 10-12' long. After debating how to deal with this someone mentions, "...If we had a chainsaw, we'd be ok..." My boss says there is one in the shed. I won the rock-paper-scissors contest, and got to run the saw. This was my first time ever using a chain saw!!! It was an old echo with a 12-14 inch bar.

I'll set the scene...my co-workers were dragging the full-size marlin out of the freezer on to the deck while I was getting a crash course in chainsaw use from our maintenance guy. As you can imagine, a 12' long, 1000+ lbs marlin draws quite a crowd of tourists :popcorn: anywhere it goes, so by the time I stepped out of the cutting house there was quite a crowd. I was wearing my orange Grundens and had a pair of goggles on my head, with a chainsaw in my hand.

I stepped up to the marlin, pulled on my goggles and pulled the starter rope. It sprang to life and I revved the saw for a few seconds and immediately plunged the 12" bar into the side of the marlin, as blood, guts, and flesh started spraying onto my Grundens. :chainsaw: Surprizingly, a chainsaw does not cut through mushy, marlin flesh as fast as you want it to when you are cutting it into 7 separate pieces to load it onto a truck (it took about 15 minutes). As I was acting like the texas-chainsaw-massacrer...the tourists were starting to turn green...one little asian girl, sitting on her dad's shoulders, puked on his head. Others turned away in disgust, but for us it was bloody-stinky-nasty business-as-usual. The crowd disappeared faster than it had gathered.

After I finished cutting up the marlin, we dragged the 200 lbs. chunks of marlin up the loading ramp and man-handled them into the vats.

For me this was 2 things...my very first chainsaw experience and my strangest chainsaw experience.

Wow, what a "baptism" :chainsaw:into the world of chainsaws!

Wood 55 gallon whiskey barrels, why? To make planters for my bitter half.
Cut like 5 of em, and I swear I was getting a buzz!

Ok...maybe better.

LMAO, That a misprint or did you do something bad.

She had this little jigsaw out wanting to cut the barrels, I cut one, then went and got my 260 out, she was not happy.

Wisconsin Tavern

I didn't witness this, but heard the story a few times from FIL. A local tavern owner in WI, wanted a window put in his tavern, didn't want to waste anytime so he grabbed his chain saw and cut a hole in the hole in the wall.
BTW, this is the guy who used a stick of dynamite to clear Ice buildup off the tavern roof - yes - it blew a hole in the roof which FIL needed to come help patch. A few good stories from that tavern.

Strangest things ??

1. Ice on the city lagoon, so the pickup truck parked on the bottom could be removed.

2. The neighbor using it as a "mini trencher" so that he could install the invisible dog fence.

I used the little 009 to cut a hole in my roof for a turbine vent. Any rough and nasty carpentry cutting I usually do with an old bar and chain. Quick and dirty gets it done.

There you go. When you sharpen an old chain for the last time, don't put it back on the saw to cut wood. Put it away for a special occasion. Then when you cut shingles with it, you don't have to resharpen a chain that's cut shingles, and you don't throw away a good chain either.

The neighbor using it as a "mini trencher" so that he could install the invisible dog fence.

Did he buy you a new B&C?

Did he buy you a new B&C?

Oh no ! It wasn't MINE that he had, and certainly wasn't ever going to be after that ! !

Wish I could remember all of the little poem decal that Snap-On used to hand out:

"There are some things we hold dear in this old life,
the tools of our trade and our dear little wife,
So please don't ask to borrow OUR tools,
And we won't ask to borrow YOUR wife ! "

I think I'm missing a line, but I can't remember it ...... it's been too long ago.

Back