whats your favorite two saw setup?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on what's being hunted.

Lately for me it's been an ms250 + ms360.

Sometimes if I'm scrounging small stuff that changes to an ms170 + ms250.

Will have to change some things up if I ever get my 044 together.

But I think what I really need is more saw carrying capacity.

ms260 (18") & ms362 (20" & 25")works great for me.

Someday I might get a ms460 just for real big stuff. I also should have a 16" on the 260, but used to use it as my main saw and have a good bar and 5 chains for it.

Depends on what is on the menu. Lot of small stuff then the 021 and ms260. Bigger stuff including limbing ms260 and ms460 or ms360 if no big logs. If cutting piled logs ms360 and ms460.

My favorite two saw setup??
Well, it's actually a one saw setup with two guide bars of different lengths.

Still, I sometimes miss one of the saws I had back-in-the-day. It was a little, green, top-handled, plastic case Poulan I bought at the hardware store for something like $79.00... maybe $89.00. It came with a 18 inch bar, I swapped that out for a 10 inch... might have been a 12 inch. (Lordy, my memory gets worse every year) It had no chain brake, no anti-vib, just a cheap plastic hand guard mounted on the front handlebar (which broke off at some point). That thing was compact, weighed next to nothing, started easy, ran relatively quite, and seemed to run forever on a tablespoon of fuel... and was just flat damn handy for tree trimming, cleanup around the yard, and other light-duty tasks. I used to go over east Iowa every spring to turkey hunt, camped for 5 days... that little saw was absolutely perfect for keeping the campfire fed.

About 8-10 years ago, in a fit of beer-enhanced passion, kickin' dirt clods in the driveway, I accepted a $100.00 bill and a handshake in trade for it... and I've missed it ever since. I've looked at the new top-handled saws... they're bulky and flat weigh too damn much (and, for what I'd use it for, damn expensive also). If I still had that little stripped-down, El-cheapo Poulan, I might even cut up the little stuff for firewood like zogger does :D

My favorite two saw setup??
Well, it's actually a one saw setup with two guide bars of different lengths.

Still, I sometimes miss one of the saws I had back-in-the-day. It was a little, green, top-handled, plastic case Poulan I bought at the hardware store for something like $79.00... maybe $89.00. It came with a 18 inch bar, I swapped that out for a 10 inch... might have been a 12 inch. (Lordy, my memory gets worse every year) It had no chain brake, no anti-vib, just a cheap plastic hand guard mounted on the front handlebar (which broke off at some point). That thing was compact, weighed next to nothing, started easy, ran relatively quite, and seemed to run forever on a tablespoon of fuel... and was just flat damn handy for tree trimming, cleanup around the yard, and other light-duty tasks. I used to go over east Iowa every spring to turkey hunt, camped for 5 days... that little saw was absolutely perfect for keeping the campfire fed.

About 8-10 years ago, in a fit of beer-enhanced passion, kickin' dirt clods in the driveway, I accepted a $100.00 bill and a handshake in trade for it... and I've missed it ever since. I've looked at the new top-handled saws... they're bulky and flat weigh too damn much (and, for what I'd use it for, damn expensive also). If I still had that little stripped-down, El-cheapo Poulan, I might even cut up the little stuff for firewood like zogger does :D

Those old lime green poulans are all magnesium as far as I know, and yes indeedy they are good. Pro saw top to bottom. Keep your eyes peeled for one cheap. Ten bucks, twenty bucks for something that needs new fuel line and filter and carb cleaning, good runners used still go for a hundred or less. The one I have has antivibe to it, topnotch handling and reliable.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...81fd7e2d6f5cdc7988256bfa00189277?OpenDocument

they made even smaller ones, lighter,but without antivibe, 33 instead of 38 cc, like these, models 2000 or 1800

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...1d08ddfcd6ae13b988256d62001d46da?OpenDocument

I'd be interested to know that as well, my current setup is husky 435 and 372xp x-torq, well suited for my firewood scrounging needs, if funds were unlimited I'd be sawing with 550xp and 576xp :cool:

~Yo
372 and 266 huskys and got a 056 stihl for the big ones. my buddy brings his echo 750 evl

Mine was one of the smaller (and lighter) ones zogger , I believe it was called the Woodsman 2000.
I've looked around ebay a couple of times for one... they always say "for parts only" or "not running" or some such.
Heck, can you even get parts for 'em and make 'em run again??
From what I've read... if the oiler quits, your flat screwed‼

The two saws I carry with me every where I go, a stihl 361 with 20" bar and a stihl 361 with a 20" bar. Sound stupid with all the saws I own but this is my favorite combo. I have a spare 361 incase something happens to my 361. :laugh:

Mine was one of the smaller (and lighter) ones zogger , I believe it was called the Woodsman 2000.
I've looked around ebay a couple of times for one... they always say "for parts only" or "not running" or some such.
Heck, can you even get parts for 'em and make 'em run again??
From what I've read... if the oiler quits, your flat screwed‼

They are so cheap and so abundant still on CL, you can accumulate several and keep one going. I have two of the small ones but I robbed parts off them to send to other AS members. Now I do have a craftsman badged larger model tophandle that is most likely a decent runner with some work, sitting in my junk stash. But just look around, I got my s25cva for 20 bucks, carb clean and new fuel line, done. But you want the 7 pounders, not the nine I guess. You could always post a "wanted" on the trading post, might find one cheap. In fact I bet one of our big time "saw whoreders" might have a few.... The smaller ones are the 1800 or 2000 variants, probably several and perhaps many, that are not labelled as poulan, but rebadged, craftsman and some more. I don't know all the other rebadged names.

The two saws I carry with me every where I go, a stihl 361 with 20" bar and a stihl 361 with a 20" bar. Sound stupid with all the saws I own but this is my favorite combo. I have a spare 361 incase something happens to my 361. :laugh:

HAHAHAHA!

I thought of doing that with 346xps, have several, mounted with a 12 inch to 20 inch bar.

WS, google this, dozens for sale all over the country

poulan 2000 site:craigslist.org

maybe a member could help out, grab one, get it shipped to you.

Back