What's Your Length???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihlgreenman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im just wondering what you guys try to cut your rounds for firewood at? Im thinking of two sizes a small size like 15-16 inch and a 20-22 inch. Also how do you measure your rounds?

Well once I get my splitter built I will cut it 30" long. Where I get most of my wood it's all butt ends at a log yard and I have no control over the length. Some may be 24" and some may be only 6", they are all mostly 30" across and up!
If I get into some actual trees that I have to cut I would like to cut them 30" and split rather fine (easier for me to handle them). My firebox is 38" in depth.

I cut mine at 20 inches. I measure mine by turning saw sideways and going from bar tip to back of clutch cover on my 025 with 16 inch bar. Bar tip to in between bar nuts on 361 with 20 inch bar.

That got us lookin!!!

Anyways yeah, I sell some firewood for fun and the old people to save them from having to do it or pay a lot. My Amish made wood burner box is 22 inches deep and i cut my wood at 18-19 inches. All i sell though is 15-16 inches, and was wondering if yall had any buyers that liked longer ones:wink2: or you yourself did?

I cut everything at 20", either use tap and cut to measure it or just a stick and marking paint. One reason we cut to 20" lengths is because we can stack 6 rows in our woodshed almost perfectly. And with our OWB, we can fit two rows in there without going under the exhaust. It also depends on how big of a stove you have. We do not sell any wood at all. If we did, I would probably cut to 16".

If you stack all of your wood, I think it is worth it to mark the cuts. Now I don't mark every single piece I cut. If I am cutting pretty small stuff that does not need to be split, then I will eyeball it. Other than that, I will mark everything.

Last edited:
I cut the majority of mine to 16 inches using a mechanics type telescoping pickup magnet. I have it marked at 16" and 10" for my neighbor's cook stove with pink duct tape. Then just go along and tap the logs I'll be bucking with the chainsaw. Then go back and cut.

Im just wondering what you guys try to cut your rounds for firewood at? Im thinking of two sizes a small size like 15-16 inch and a 20-22 inch. Also how do you measure your rounds?
My stove accepts a 24" log (Federal Airtight 288). Regardless, I still cut the logs 18" to 20" and occasionally drop down to 16". Anything shorter than that is a PITA. Any stove MFG that demands a log shorter than 16" should be out of business. That's MHO.

Get a mingo. Baileysonline.com. Thing is awesome. Puts a little paint dot on the log. Can do different lengths. I cut 16". 4'4'8' is a cord. 3 wide easy to stack

Last edited:
My saw has a 20" bar so I cut 20" long. Quick 1/4 turn as I step down the log to the next cut works for me. But I did take a Sharpie and made a 16" line on my bar when I went to cut firewood with our church group. Figured that not everyone can burn up to 24" like me so when I cut for someone else 16" is where I cut.

17"...from tip of bar to...

aiming mark
spike bolts
Made in Canada
sharpie line
blips from small saw
etc.

I use the 16" bar and eyeball with that. My stove can take 28" splits but prefer 16 ". Its easyer to pull through hallway on handtruck.

Latest posts

Back