Which Fiskars axe to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi Gang:

I have an electric splitter to do most of my splitting and an 8 lb splitting maul which I use occasionally, so I really don't "need" another splitter. But I just "want" a Fiskars X27. Then I came across the "Fiskars Axe Is Junk" thread and was having a few doubts. I read all the reviews at Amazon.com about this product. I think I would have been disappointed with it as I was beginning to think this axe had some kind of mystical power. Fortunately, all of my research has brought my expectations back down to earth, and now my expectations are more realistic.

So, 2 days ago I was in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I was looking for a Fiskars X27. None of the stores I went to had them in stock, but all of the stores I went to carried them on-line. I hate to buy something like this without first getting a "feel" for it by having it in my hands. But it looks like that ain't gonna happen. If I have to order it on-line, I'll order it from Home Depot for $54.97 with free shipping. I go right by Home Depot on my way to work, and they're real good about taking stuff back. Same product from Bailey's be $54.28 which includes shipping.

Here's my question. Which model should I get. The X27 or the shorter X25? I'm 5"10, 200 lbs.

Thanks guys,

Don <><

Personally, I would get the X27. Although even some taller guys like the x25 better, seems to be more accurate. I bought mine from Baileys and I would rather have held one first but like you said nobody carries them. There are a few stores that carry the x25 model. I think walmart has them, sears has them too, I think.

You will not be disappointed with the either one. I was kind of hesitant on buying one too but I am glad I did. I will not use an 8lb maul to split wood again. If the Fiskars can't split it, it gets noodled or goes to the hydraulic splitter. I can split with the Fiskars all day long and not be wore out. After trying the 8lb maul again, it felt like it weighed a ton. If the wood splits easy enough, I will split it with the Fiskars, much faster than a hydraulic splitter. I have been working on some 25"+ oak rounds and the Fiskars was able to split every piece right down the middle with 2 or 3 hits. I tried that with the 8lb maul and couldn't begin to split it. Maybe if I swung several more times but why work harder than you have too.

I am a big fan of the Fiskars, wish I bought one when they first came out.

Last edited:
I have both; I like both.

I had the first one, then bought the second one when it came out. Tried em both, side by side, and posted a page on it:

http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/170817.htm

I also have a few of their chopping axes that I take when cutting to limb and drive wedges.

If you want to buy one to try, I would suggest the longer version, as most people are more familiar with longer handle - similar to axes that they are used to. The shorter handle works better if you set the wood you are splitting on top of a raised stump.

Philbert

I just got a X27 a couple of days ago (bought it from Bailey's) and I'm very impressed how well it performs. Never tried the X25 but from most of feedback here in the forum, I opted for the 27.

I have both of the new models (X25 and X27), and both of the old models ( Super Splitter and Pro Splitter). I like them all but the "Super Splitter" is really a special axe im my opinion, better than the others. Some places are still selling the original SS, I would try to get one; the Fiskars legend was built on the original SS.

I have both of the new models (X25 and X27), and both of the old models ( Super Splitter and Pro Splitter). I like them all but the "Super Splitter" is really a special axe im my opinion, better than the others. Some places are still selling the original SS, I would try to get one; the Fiskars legend was built on the original SS.

I agree, I'd look on ebay for a SS. The head is better. A bit heavier, more flare to the cheeks.

Hi Gang:

I have an electric splitter to do most of my splitting and an 8 lb splitting maul which I use occasionally, so I really don't "need" another splitter. But I just "want" a Fiskars X27. Then I came across the "Fiskars Axe Is Junk" thread and was having a few doubts. I read all the reviews at Amazon.com about this product. I think I would have been disappointed with it as I was beginning to think this axe had some kind of mystical power. Fortunately, all of my research has brought my expectations back down to earth, and now my expectations are more realistic.

So, 2 days ago I was in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I was looking for a Fiskars X27. None of the stores I went to had them in stock, but all of the stores I went to carried them on-line. I hate to buy something like this without first getting a "feel" for it by having it in my hands. But it looks like that ain't gonna happen. If I have to order it on-line, I'll order it from Home Depot for $54.97 with free shipping. I go right by Home Depot on my way to work, and they're real good about taking stuff back. Same product from Bailey's be $54.28 which includes shipping.

Here's my question. Which model should I get. The X27 or the shorter X25? I'm 5"10, 200 lbs.

Thanks guys,

Don <><

Grab the longer X27, great splitter in most woods.. (I doubt you will wish you went smaller..)
If Home Depot is close by, get it there, convenience is a good thing..
Cheers..

I have an X27 axe. I have over 15 face chords of firewood with it. I like the longer handle. It keeps the head away from your legs. I have split all kinds of wood. Ash,Oak,Hard and Soft Maple,Hickory, Black Birch, Black Cherry. Not really having a problem. Only in the very twisted burls where limbs come out. To me money well spent. Trust me the job for it is far from over this year. I like it better than the 15 pound moster maul I use. The X27 has amazingly filled its shoes.

I started with the SS and then got an x27 and here's my findings. The longer handle took some getting used to for me. But now that I have some time on the tool it gets used for 80% of my splitting. Ultimately I would have the SS head on the x27 length handle and never look back!

HTML:
Hi Gang:

Thanks guys,

Don <><

Just bought one of Amazon for $45 and change has free shipping and if you sign up for a trial of prime shipping (I changed to no auto renew) and it ships 2 day for free actually ordered on a Friday and got it on Monday.

I read about 200 reviews on this site plus others about this awesome mystery Fiskars X27...I have been splitting wood for only about 1 month now...new to the whole wood heat thing....so I am not really good at using a maul in general.

I bought the X27 a few days ago...at Ace Hardware....and THIS THING IS AWESOME. I can pretty much split anything in 1 to 2 hits. It doesnt just split the wood, it basically explodes it into 2 pieces.

VERY happy. I think it would make agreat zombie killing weapon as well....

I have both the 25 and 27, since getting the 27 l use the 25 when I'm felling as my wedge driver. Like them both by the way great tools.

I own the 27 and that thing works great. Im 5'8 170lbs and I swing that bad boy just fine. Elvis said it best "Its all in the Hips". Its a great tool in my arsenal, I got it on sale for $20 at the TSC and I use it to make kindlin mostly.

I read about 200 reviews on this site plus others about this awesome mystery Fiskars X27...I have been splitting wood for only about 1 month now...new to the whole wood heat thing....so I am not really good at using a maul in general.

I bought the X27 a few days ago...at Ace Hardware....and THIS THING IS AWESOME. I can pretty much split anything in 1 to 2 hits. It doesnt just split the wood, it basically explodes it into 2 pieces.

VERY happy. I think it would make agreat zombie killing weapon as well....

Welcome aboard man!! You are right in my favorite part of the state for riding motorcycle!! I love Wildcat Mountain St Park!

44412f1f-32b6-bc0e.jpg

Get one of each!

Not sure if they changed the models again, or the model numbers, or . . . Too hard to keep track.

But they changed the grips to a texture/pattern molded into the handle material.

Philbert

Fiskars.jpg

Not sure if they changed the models again, or the model numbers, or . . . Too hard to keep track.

But they changed the grips to a molded in texture, in the handle material.

Philbert

View attachment 349740

I looked at the new one about a month ago. Still the same models. I like the old style orange/black handle. The new ones look cheap to me.

Agree with others, big X27 fan here.

In heavily twisted or knotted wood, the Fiskars is reduced to par performance with a big maul. And even then you need a sledge to pound either of them through.

I've split 4.5 cords of mixed batch wood this spring and about 6 total. Twice I had "whoopsie" overswings that would have spelled death to a wood handled maul.

Someone posted on here that a knock-off was available for about $20 less. (Truper brand IIRC) but reviews said they had handle breakage problems. I'll stick to the original.

I don't see the knock off handle breaking any easier than my fiskars axes. Maybe a wooden version, but only time will tell. Haven't split a ton but enough to say its very easy splitting

Back