Which Fiskars axe to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where are you getting your weight information from? I tried to find it on Fiskar's site but they did not list it. THe Home Depot site says the X27 weight 6.3 lbs which feels about right but Ive never verified... Like I said before, another half lb in the head would improve its porductivity and help power through some of the larger rounds that are outside of its size rating.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-...litting-Axe-78846935/202681680#specifications

http://www.baileysonline.com/Forest...rs-X27-Super-Splitting-Axe-with-36-Handle.axd would be one good source.

Many of us have had these for years now -- I have a Super Splitter. Woodchuck's correct on the head weights.

Where are you getting your weight information from? I tried to find it on Fiskar's site but they did not list it. THe Home Depot site says the X27 weight 6.3 lbs which feels about right but Ive never verified... Like I said before, another half lb in the head would improve its porductivity and help power through some of the larger rounds that are outside of its size rating.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-...litting-Axe-78846935/202681680#specifications
From weighing the heads from broken handle fiskars! Just because their mark-up is great enough to still make a profit if they have to replace three doesn't mean the handles don't break. And most people that buy them don't use them enough to wear the coating off. The actual cost of production is about the same as a wedge.

From weighing the heads from broken handle fiskars! Just because their mark-up is great enough to still make a profit if they have to replace three doesn't mean the handles don't break. And most people that buy them don't use them enough to wear the coating off. The actual cost of production is about the same as a wedge.

Thats great that you've validated the weight by weighing them, I couldnt find and literature saying how much they weigh (I didnt look real hard though and 6 lbs stuck in my head)...

Dont care if I broke one a year or 4 a year, as long as they continue to replace them then Im happy. They way I see it, if I broke 5 Fiskar handles and they were all replaced at no cost to me then it has paied for itself when wood handles cost about $10 a pop. So far its holding up great to a few over strikes and is way more productive vs the other tools I own and have used...

Here is what the current (US) website is showing. Some look very close in specs, but sold at a different price point?
I have a version of their chopping axe too, and like it for limbing, driving wedges, etc.

Philbert

Screen shot 2014-05-14 at 4.48.31 PM.png

Screen shot 2014-05-14 at 4.49.03 PM.png

Here is what the current (US) website is showing. Some look very close in specs, but sold at a different price point?
I have a version of their chopping axe too, and like it for limbing, driving wedges, etc.

Philbert

View attachment 350334

View attachment 350335

I am looking to possibly buy one of these splitting axes and was wondering the same thing. What is the difference between the X27 and the Super Splitter?

X27...but won't go wrong buying both at some point. I bet you'll end up there anyhow, someone may prefer swinging the other one that you don't while bustin wood. I predict you'll end up with a couple chopping versions as well. Good, reasonably priced tools for the job(s)...not the end all, but I could think of crappier ways of spending the green IMO.

Back