Which Fiskars axe to buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if they changed the models again, or the model numbers, or . . . Too hard to keep track.

But they changed the grips to a texture/pattern molded into the handle material.

Philbert

View attachment 349740
I"ve seen the second rate Fiskars branded splitting ax at wally world, could this be the reason why some don't like them?

Not sure if they changed the models again, or the model numbers, or . . . Too hard to keep track.

But they changed the grips to a texture/pattern molded into the handle material.

Philbert

View attachment 349740

I just noticed yesterday this new molded handle and black wedged ones being sold at Walmart yesterday. Same price or more then then ones being sold at tractor supply with the orange handle and grey wedge. Besides the handles there were 2 differences I noticed that I didnt not like.

1. The Walmart ones do not seem to have the same coating on the wedge that the grey ones have. From my readings the grey ones have a non-sitck coating of some sort (although it wears off eventually), I did not see any indication the balck wedge has it. Also the surface finish on the black wedge was significantly rough compared to the grey wedge, like it was cut with a water jet, which makes me believe it will be more susceptible to getting stuck in the wood or at least harder to get out.

2. The Walmart ones do not come with a locking sheath! I dont like that idea at all, these are too sharp to let bouce around without a sheath.

I suggest you go to your local farmers/tractor supply store and see if they carry them for sale. Although I like the added grip on the new molded handle I like the grey wedge better (by looks) and the high vis orange handle and a sheath is a must. You wont go wrong with buying one but I suggest the X27 and a nice big cutting block. The wedge material is WAY more brittle than a normal maul/axe and chips easily if made contact with stone. Get a flat file to touch up the cutting edge once in a while and it will keep you smiling. BTW, I've split about 5 cord with mine since getting it last year and rarely reach for the heavier maul.

X27....such a great axe. It splits everything with ease.

Thanks to it, I scoff at friends who have splitters.

Maybe I'll buzz by Wallmart and pick one up and take it home to try it out. Gotta love their return policy.

For the same price, or just about, you might want to take a look at the 5.5 lb maul branded for Husqvarna by Hultafors. Indistinguishable from Wetterlings maul. Both are very nice quality tools, with hickory handles. No fad value involved.

For the same price, or just about, you might want to take a look at the 5.5 lb maul branded for Husqvarna by Hultafors. Indistinguishable from Wetterlings maul. Both are very nice quality tools, with hickory handles. No fad value involved.

No fad here, your mistaken.

I'm guaranteed to break any wooden handle regardless. The last 3 handles I broke on my 8 lb maul and sledge were not from over strikes but just plain force striking nasty rounds or driving wedge. At almost $10 a pop I decided to buy the Fiskar that has a life time guarantee on the handle. Hell, I was 3/5's the way there in cost of replacement handles anyways, I'd probably be at or above the cost of the Fiskar by now if I kept using them.
Besides, I can't imagine a 5.5 lb maul being as productive as the Fiskar. I mean, the Fiskar is something like 6 lbs and begs for another half lb in larger rounds...

In general, I prefer the x25. It's almost weightless and has a great "zip" to it.

But there are things that are too big for it, and that's what the x27 is for.

Bottom line: I love both, but would choose the x27 if I could have only one.

No fad here, your mistaken.

I'm guaranteed to break any wooden handle regardless. The last 3 handles I broke on my 8 lb maul and sledge were not from over strikes but just plain force striking nasty rounds or driving wedge. At almost $10 a pop I decided to buy the Fiskar that has a life time guarantee on the handle. Hell, I was 3/5's the way there in cost of replacement handles anyways, I'd probably be at or above the cost of the Fiskar by now if I kept using them.
Besides, I can't imagine a 5.5 lb maul being as productive as the Fiskar. I mean, the Fiskar is something like 6 lbs and begs for another half lb in larger rounds...

Not mistaken, at all. If you've not tried a real maul, you might be.

I've tried fiskars stuff side by side with some real mauls (mueller, wetterlings). I'll pass on fiskars, thanks.

With mauls, it's a lot more than simply weight. The good ones are shaped very differently from the ones you might be thinking of. Not to mention, metallurgy. And, if you break that many handles, we have other issues to be dealt with first.

Healthy skepticism helps to moderate marketing hype.

Not mistaken, at all. If you've not tried a real maul, you might be.

I've tried fiskars stuff side by side with some real mauls (mueller, wetterlings). I'll pass on fiskars, thanks.

With mauls, it's a lot more than simply weight. The good ones are shaped very differently from the ones you might be thinking of. Not to mention, metallurgy. And, if you break that many handles, we have other issues to be dealt with first.

Healthy skepticism helps to moderate marketing hype.
Your welcome to your skepticism. I still wouldn't call it a fad though, they work and they work well IMO. Never did I say they were the best at what they did but I feel they are worth what I paid. That being said, I have not used a wide varity of mauls, just the old clunker 8 lb cold steel boat anchors grandpa use to use or a 6 lb chopping axe for light duty. BTW, all three handles broke right down the center of the handle right at the shear line between the side in compression and the side in tension, not from over strike.

That great looking guy there in my picture to the left . . . is partner with the 200lb 5'10" guy in the red wind shirt same size as you. I split between 12 and 16 cord a year with my x27. I don't try to win races, and I mostly split nice straight grain Red Oak. It works great for me. Best splitting ax I've ever used. When I visit my Dad I always help him split with his hydro splitter. Based on the cycle time on his ram, and with him running the handle and me doing the lifting and stacking, I can honestly say, I can split faster with my x27 working myself than the two of us on his splitter.

The x27 has a head weight of just a hair over 4 pounds. It is almost impossible to find an ax that has a head that is over four and one half pounds. Most are three and a half.
The super split has a four and one quarter pound head.

The x27 has a head weight of just a hair over 4 pounds. It is almost impossible to find an ax that has a head that is over four and one half pounds. Most are three and a half.
The super split has a four and one quarter pound head.
Where are you getting your weight information from? I tried to find it on Fiskar's site but they did not list it. THe Home Depot site says the X27 weight 6.3 lbs which feels about right but Ive never verified... Like I said before, another half lb in the head would improve its porductivity and help power through some of the larger rounds that are outside of its size rating.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-...litting-Axe-78846935/202681680#specifications

Where are you getting your weight information from? I tried to find it on Fiskar's site but they did not list it. THe Home Depot site says the X27 weight 6.3 lbs which feels about right but Ive never verified... Like I said before, another half lb in the head would improve its porductivity and help power through some of the larger rounds that are outside of its size rating.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Fiskars-...litting-Axe-78846935/202681680#specifications

I have tried twice now talking to fiskars on the phone and via email. I wanted to give them some real world design advice and that was one of the bits, a slightly heavier head. I want around a 5.5 lb head, 36 inch handle and the original super split wedge shape, not a axe shape like the x25 and x27 have. Nice and narrow and square, good flair on the sides, and rounded, so it doesn't stick.

One that would cost more than $40, and cause me to have to lift rounds and stack splits faster? I am failing to see the wisdom in that.
Nope. But maybe trade in/exchange your Dad's, which doesn't sound like it's working efficiently for you guys.

BTW - I like the Fiskars for hand splitting if that was not clear. But I have also seen the production on a two-way splitter with 2 or more guys, and appropriately sized wood.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ran-a-2-way-splitter-sunday.190097/

Buy them all :D

I have two hatchets, a camp axe, x25 and x27. Love all of them. They are good tools.

I have used mauls, "real" and wanna-be, and prefer the x27.

Nope. But maybe trade in/exchange your Dad's, which doesn't sound like it's working efficiently for you guys.

BTW - I like the Fiskars for hand splitting if that was not clear. But I have also seen the production on a two-way splitter with 2 or more guys, and appropriately sized wood.

Philbert

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/ran-a-2-way-splitter-sunday.190097/

I guess it wasn't clear from my original post. First, I am never in a race, by hand or by splitter. Time I spend with my 84 year old Dad is not time spent seeking "efficiency". I made a simple observation that I can split faster with my x27 working alone, than with my Dad and his hydro splitter. I and he are not looking to split faster in either case. He still lives on a farm with more barn and shed space than I will likely ever use. His older, and admittedly less efficient splitter never leaves his drive through wood shed. We cut, buck, haul into his shed. There we split and/or stack his firewood for a couple years into the future. I suspect we are fast approaching a life time supply for him. But, we have no intention of quitting, yet no reason to work faster.

I am not questioning your comments, I am sure you are correct, there are plenty ways we could "save" time in our firewood processing. We are not investigating any of them.Dads woodpile.JPG

We still take breaks, often taking time to sit on each and every "round" (ok, many of the Black Locust we cut at his farm are not all that round) before loading it, or field halving it because we can't lift it.

locust.JPG

Latest posts

Back