Which Leather chainsaw boot?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob R

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Recent threads here have gotten me thinking that I should upgrade my chainsaw foot protection.
I want a leather, lace up boot that is waterproof, steel toed, and has as much kevlar as possible.
I am kicking myself for not buying the old Labonville waterproof, multilayer kevlar boots when they were clearing them out. Their new boots are not listed as waterproof and only use 2 layers of kevlar. The Matterhorns on Baileys do not have a steel toe and look narrow - I have 13 EEE feet. The Stihl and Swedepro boots don't seem to offer much for the money and I have seen mixed reviews, especially on the Stihl ones.

Haix has a couple boots that look interesting. Their 7" Protector Extreme CE 2 boot, and their 9" Protector Pro CE1 have my attention.
Have any of you used either of these boots and / or have an oppinion concerning them??

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Bob

Bob, Ive had a pair of extreme protectors for aboutba year and a half. They are very well made ,and comfortable. They do take a while to break in ,and they're a bit heavy compaired to a normal boot ,but that is to be expected considering their construction . Haven't tested out how well the work as far as cut protection :) . Basically , if i ruined ,or lost them , I'd buy another pair.

I deal with a lot of thorns so boots are important. My Carolina's have been great for the past year. The leather is strong and thick seems to breath well enough, and the soles are tough as hell

...Haix has a couple boots that look interesting. Their 7" Protector Extreme CE 2 boot, and their 9" Protector Pro CE1 have my attention...

I called Haix for information and was advised that the Protector Extreme was pretty "intense", and that I might be perfectly fine with the Airpower Gold model; I ordered a pair of factory seconds online. The boots should arrive next week.

Haix Airpower Gold boots (factory seconds) arrived today. Good arch support; size 11 is a bit big but a comfortable fit with 2 pairs of socks. Fairly stiff and will require breaking in; I wouldn't want to go with the Protector Extreme version. The factory second imperfections are not visible. Decent price. A huge upgrade in protection from the LL Bean duck boots I've been wearing.

Haix Airpower Gold boots (factory seconds) arrived today. Good arch support; size 11 is a bit big but a comfortable fit with 2 pairs of socks. Fairly stiff and will require breaking in; I wouldn't want to go with the Protector Extreme version. The factory second imperfections are not visible. Decent price. A huge upgrade in protection from the LL Bean duck boots I've been wearing.

I looked at the Hiax site and I only see steel toe caps and Kevlar in the sole. I don't see any Kevlar elsewhere.

Here's there "features" page-

http://www.haix.com/us/technology/features/

Last edited:
Does the 11 fit more like an 11.5? I was looking at a pair of these but wanted to make sure I got the right size.

Also, how are they in the weight department?

Know what's better than a Kevlar boot?

A brain that doesn't allow the saw to hit the boot. Safety is in your head. If its not, all the ppe in the world won't save you.

Yep...until you slip just that one time.

I'm with 056 Kid on this. Before you "slip" you should have made sure that you are on good footing. And, use your chainbrake if moving much with the saw running. Use your brain, don't hurry hurry, and be aware of where your feet are, and where they will go. Clear out a place if the footing is bad. Besides, if you slip with the saw going, I would think that something else, other than feet, will be cut.

If you slip a lot, better get a pair of calks. Calks is pronounced corks around here. They even come in bright orange rubber, so you can see where your feet are at all times.

I see no chainsaw protection in these boots, or any Haix boots for that matter. As somebody mentioned, the Kevlar is in the sole. Not too many people walk on running chainsaws. Is the toe even steel? If not, your LL Bean boots will protect you about the same.

Has anybody tried the Husqy or Oregon rubber boots? What is the ankle/shin protection made of? I would like to see a demo video but cannot find one.

I looked at the Hiax site and I only see steel toe caps and Kevlar in the sole. I don't see any Kevlar elsewhere.

Good point. Called Haix about this and was told that the uppers contain Kevlar, and I do feel a thickness in the tongue that's stiff and not leather-like. Features include "cut protection", but the specifications only indicate Kevlar in the sole in accordance with Canadian Grade 1 standards, so who knows... Don't see Kevlar specified for the uppers of the Protector Extreme either. Hope I don't find out whether there's Kevlar in the uppers the hard way.

Does the 11 fit more like an 11.5? I was looking at a pair of these but wanted to make sure I got the right size.

Also, how are they in the weight department?

I usually wear a 10 1/2 size which was not available in a factory second; 2 pair of socks of decent thickness work for me. For forestry boots, they're reasonably light (but stiff).

I'm with 056 Kid on this. Before you "slip" you should have made sure that you are on good footing. And, use your chainbrake if moving much with the saw running. Use your brain, don't hurry hurry, and be aware of where your feet are, and where they will go. Clear out a place if the footing is bad. Besides, if you slip with the saw going, I would think that something else, other than feet, will be cut.

If you slip a lot, better get a pair of calks. Calks is pronounced corks around here. They even come in bright orange rubber, so you can see where your feet are at all times.

I don't mean slip as in a slide. I mean slip, as in make an error.

I see it like this: there are smokers that puff a pack a day for 40yrs and never get cancer or emphysema, and I'm sure there are loggers that run a saw every day for years and years and never get hurt. But the odds are against both groups. Boots are good, cheap insurance and you have to wear them anyway, why not have some protection.

Might want to look at White's Boots

Lineman

The Linesman boot comes in various heights and has a steel toe available.

Since they are hand made, size should be no issue.

They are really comfortable to work in.

Hal

Don't kid yourself. When I cut my boot the other day the saw hit the steel cap and then glanced off. If there hadn't been Kevlar behind the steel cap it would have been nasty. All the steel cap would have changed was how far up the foot I amputated myself.

Good point. Called Haix about this and was told that the uppers contain Kevlar, and I do feel a thickness in the tongue that's stiff and not leather-like. Features include "cut protection", but the specifications only indicate Kevlar in the sole in accordance with Canadian Grade 1 standards, so who knows... Don't see Kevlar specified for the uppers of the Protector Extreme either. Hope I don't find out whether there's Kevlar in the uppers the hard way.

I emailed them last week and the only info I could get on what standards they met was there they were tested for puncture (sole) and EH (electrical hazard).

Back