Which would you prefer MS046 or MS0462

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say go with the MS 462R with the Standard Carb.

If he doesn't like it, he could always find someone willing to trade for a clean 046 Mag with some Cash on top.

Mad3400

Run an old one and a new one in a couple cuts each and notice how much the old one will vibrate your hands. Big difference.
Might be in the minority here, but it's not enough to bother me. When i ran one for a living for the first 15+ years of my career, my back/shoulder would be jacked after a 9 month season, not my hands. Maybe 30+ years behind the bar, I might appreciate the new av, but my hands are fine, and I can't get over the feeling of half the saw flopping around. I also feel springs are more prone to bounce, and kickback when rakered down.
I have two stroke dirt bikes that have way more vibes than any chainsaw I've owned. Even my v6 merc outboards have solid aluminum motor mounts.

I logged hardwood with both saws. Have you?
What's your thoughts it worth $350-$400 buying the MS046 over a MS462. I've never ran a 046? That my question, its an older used saw supposedly low hours. My buddy can afford a new saw but he's considering this saw for the saving. I've bought used saws before but its always a gamble unless you can look thru to cylinder intake & exhaust. Me I change all the seals, fuel line, filter and the impulse line from the start and check the tune. It appears to be homeowner saw with aftermarket bar so seems kind odd it has aftermarket bar and and still be stated as low hours.

What's your thoughts it worth $350-$400 buying the MS046 over a MS462. I've never ran a 046? That my question, its an older used saw supposedly low hours. My buddy can afford a new saw but he's considering this saw for the saving. I've bought used saws before but its always a gamble unless you can look thru to cylinder intake & exhaust. Me I change all the seals, fuel line, filter and the impulse line from the start and check the tune. It appears to be homeowner saw with aftermarket bar so seems kind odd it has aftermarket bar and and still be stated as low hours.
I wouldn't buy a 20+ year old saw.

You saying a 046 for 350-400 :oops: . Thats a buy price IMO. Check that thing out.

046 D cylinder bringing 200 shipped now days.

I'd buy a 20+ year old saw, but since time is money and money is parts and that saw is 20+ years closer to needing parts, I'd buy a new saw for the difference in price, because I'm not buying a project, I need to get work done.
(your reasoning may be different and I respect that)

A friend is looking at MS046mag which is supposed to in good condition vs buying a new MS462R (carb saw). From what I remember the 046 was a very good saw in it's time. So...whats your opinion... it is worth saving $350 difference in cost. From what I remember those 046 pull a long bar pretty well?
You said it’s only $350 difference in price between the two??
For “$350 more”a new ms462 is a no brainer as far as I am concerned, reg carb or mtronic.

Might be in the minority here, but it's not enough to bother me. When i ran one for a living for the first 15+ years of my career, my back/shoulder would be jacked after a 9 month season, not my hands. Maybe 30+ years behind the bar, I might appreciate the new av, but my hands are fine, and I can't get over the feeling of half the saw flopping around. I also feel springs are more prone to bounce, and kickback when rakered down.
I have two stroke dirt bikes that have way more vibes than any chainsaw I've owned. Even my v6 merc outboards have solid aluminum motor mounts.
My hands are dead after my first 15 years of cutting trees. So much it moved me away from that side of the business.
I appreciate good av when running saws now.
I love my 44 but after running it all day my hands are numb at night for weeks.
Never had back or shoulder problems though.
We're all built different.
Lol, my hand are getting numb posting this..........

My hands are dead after my first 15 years of cutting trees. So much it moved me away from that side of the business.
I appreciate good av when running saws now.
I love my 44 but after running it all day my hands are numb at night for weeks.
Never had back or shoulder problems though.
We're all built different.
Lol, my hand are getting numb posting this..........
Heated handles and Husky spring AV was the best thing that happened to my hands.

Back