Which would you rather buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw would you leave with???

• Total voters
Does anybody else smell that? It smells like a dead thread.....:cry:

So its safe to say that on AS, 2 out of 3 people prefer the 440 to the 441?

Indeed, it seems that way. However, a far cry from the 99:1 you mentioned in the original thread......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
Nonetheless, a clear victory for the 440. I still can't see why, but it seems the people have spoken....

Indeed, it seems that way. However, a far cry from the 99:1 you mentioned in the original thread......:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:
Nonetheless, a clear victory for the 440. I still can't see why, but it seems the people have spoken....

The people haven't spoken....

Most hate the 441 so all they're doin' is a pissin' and a moanin'..... ;) :D

Hey, that rhymes...... :cheers:

I don't want to clump the 441 with the flip cap situation, but the hatred or dislike pointed toward them is of a sort of illogical orientation. Flip caps, benefits are they are tooless (as in you don't need any tools to operate them flawlessly), in my case, flawlessly for years and years.

The 441 --> 1 pound heavier chainsaw that due to its overall efficiency will outcut either the 440 or 460 in a production setting (maybe not cookie cutting).

For some reason people find reasons to have strong dislikes for them. Maybe not with the flip caps but with the 441 the majority have ever even used them and they cry at the top of their lungs how heavy they are to carry (compared to the 440) and how underpowered they are (compared to the 460), and how hard they are to modd, when they no harder than any other saw, different, yes, hard, no.

There are even several 441 owners who have modded their saws and I think, I read one at a GTG that a modded 441 was faster than modded 7900, 372 and 460's. If this is true or if it is just close, the saw still gets better gas mileage than those 3 other saws which means you WILL cut more wood in a days time because you are stopping to refill so much, that means more than 1 second differences in cookie cutting times.

Of the three Stihl dealers that I talk to and use, the 441 is one saw that is sold and they don't ever have to work on them again (read very reliable) and when they do hear back from the new owner its just to brag or tell them how much they like the 441.

Its a very weird position to be in ................ to both, like flip caps and the 441, LOL.

I know there isn't anything wrong with either one, I have never ever had a problem with either. I like both, and yet everyone is trying to convince me/others that they either don't work or the older versions are better. I'm sure that Stihl has made some mistakes in its lifespan, but these two are any of them.

My opinion,

Sam

I don't want to clump the 441 with the flip cap situation, but the hatred or dislike pointed toward them is of a sort of illogical orientation. Flip caps, benefits are they are tooless (as in you don't need any tools to operate them flawlessly), in my case, flawlessly for years and years.

The 441 --> 1 pound heavier chainsaw that due to its overall efficiency will outcut either the 440 or 460 in a production setting (maybe not cookie cutting).

For some reason people find reasons to have strong dislikes for them. Maybe not with the flip caps but with the 441 the majority have ever even used them and they cry at the top of their lungs how heavy they are to carry (compared to the 440) and how underpowered they are (compared to the 460), and how hard they are to modd, when they no harder than any other saw, different, yes, hard, no.

There are even several 441 owners who have modded their saws and I think, I read one at a GTG that a modded 441 was faster than modded 7900, 372 and 460's. If this is true or if it is just close, the saw still gets better gas mileage than those 3 other saws which means you WILL cut more wood in a days time because you are stopping to refill so much, that means more than 1 second differences in cookie cutting times.

Of the three Stihl dealers that I talk to and use, the 441 is one saw that is sold and they don't ever have to work on them again (read very reliable) and when they do hear back from the new owner its just to brag or tell them how much they like the 441.

Its a very weird position to be in ................ to both, like flip caps and the 441, LOL.

I know there isn't anything wrong with either one, I have never ever had a problem with either. I like both, and yet everyone is trying to convince me/others that they either don't work or the older versions are better. I'm sure that Stihl has made some mistakes in its lifespan, but these two are any of them.

My opinion,

Sam

My Honda Civic is alot better on gas than my Dodge 3500...

But it takes me about 30 trips to deliver a cord of wood in the Civic...

My Honda Civic is alot better on gas than my Dodge 3500...

But it takes me about 30 trips to deliver a cord of wood in the Civic...

Yah, well think of the 441 as a Chevy Duramax when compared to your Dodge 3500. Better transmission, better ride, more reliable (than the new ones), better quality build, similiar or better mileage than the newer ones, Mom and Dad's gets 22mpg mine gets 19-21 depending on how hare the pedal is pressed.

Long and short of it, I have cut with the 460, I have used my 441 around other 460's, I have used stock and modded 460's around stock and modded 660's and the 441 (especially modded) will cut more wood than either of those two with all wearing either a 24" or 28" bar. You can't find one person that has used both saws that will not speak of how fuel efficient the saw is, you simply cut too much more wood with the 441 to deny it, its that noticeable.

As to the speed portion of the equation, most every video I have observed shows the 441 within 1 lousy second of the 460, the modded ones are still within 1 lousy second of the modded 460 or they are beating the 460, so safe to say you don't need to bring a book along to read if you so choose to operate the 441 over the 460.

As to its weight issue, I guess we can't deny that, I have never weighed mine, plenty have, if the saw does weigh more, fine, we loose one point. I have cut all day with 660's, 460's, 441's, (a few half days with a 440), 361's and 260's, I have yet to quit because the saw weight was different more or less.

I have had to quit because I ran out of gas, those quitting times are as follows:

Trees you can cut and top with one tank of gas:

361 - 14-16 24" Oak trees
441 - 10-12 24" Oak trees
460 - 5-7 24" Oak trees
660 - 4-6 24" Oak trees

The 441 is more efficient than the 460 hands down. So 1-2 seconds difference in the cut times are pointless, unless you can refuel that 460 in under 5 seconds, you aren't ever going to catch up with the 441, if the "work" is anything more than cutting cookies in your backyard.

I wanted to edit, that for the real world of cutting wood and not cookie cutting in your backyard. That means fewer trips walking back and forth between your fuel/oil jugs and where you are cutting trees (If like some you don't carry them to every tree). Its less trips up and down hills to get to those jugs or carrying those jugs. It might be the difference in getting in a few more trees before it gets dark or before you go to lunch or before a skidder gets there. Or it means that you still have gas while a skidder waits on you if they caught up to you, or you're half way through a cut or topping or limbing and run out. While the speed of the 460 is measured 1 second per cut in cookie cutting (which doesn't really tranlate into real world cutting, but we'll go with it), the minutes of wandering around the countryside looking for your fuel jug adds up in minutes at a time, many times per day.

Just how it is,

Sam

Last edited:
Working awful hard to convince yourself of how much better the 441 is...

I dont like them and I am allowed to not like them....along with LOTS of other people it seems....:)

Working awful hard to convince yourself of how much better the 441 is...

I dont like them and I am allowed to not like them....along with LOTS of other people it seems....:)

No, I usually convince myself of something and then I buy, and confirm that my research is/was correct. I was probably one of the first people on this forum to have a modded 441, and it had a lot to do with my research between felling trees with a modded 361 and a 660 on a very consistent sidehill of oak trees, and what I found was I could cut more trees with a 361 in a days time and with less effort, than I could with a 660 and it wasn't due to the amazing speed of the 361, it was due to the fact that I could cut about 4 times as many trees per tankful than with the 660. I tried this with the 460 and it just didn't get good gas mileage, its rather poor in fact. This got me thinking about the 441, I had it modded, my saw builder was kicking and screaming the whole time. He hated the saw, #####ed about how hard it was to take apart, the little ports and blah, blah. Then he finished it, fired it up and put a 28" bar into some big tree he had laying around and then went and got his best 460 and did the same and suddenly fell in love with the 441. He would not try to convince anyone to buy a 460 over a 441, that is an impractical move, knowing what we know about the 441. The beaty of it all is he has never got to run it after it got broken in, which seems to take them a long time, but nonetheless the saw is stronger than when he ran it. I would like to advance the timing on this one, he does this modd to the 460 with great success and I would like to do this to my 441, but I want to make some keys for this, and I don't get to the machine shop much lately.

So I don't need to convince myself, I'm quite a ways past that point. So far in fact, that I never purchase a non-strato saw if I had a choice. Their potential is too great.

Sam

Trees you can cut and top with one tank of gas:

361 - 14-16 24" Oak trees
441 - 10-12 24" Oak trees
460 - 5-7 24" Oak trees
660 - 4-6 24" Oak trees

I guess that the 361 is better than the 441 as well then.... By your train of thought anyhow.

441 and Duramax!! You and I gotta have a beer sometime!:cheers:

Let me know when and where so I can pull both your butts around with a Cummins. Don't worry your soft leathery airconditioned and lowriding Duramax is comfortable in Drag Mode(reverse) too.

I vote 440 as well. I like the 441 but it just feels bulky to me. purely subjective on my part

are you implying that I rounded up from a little over a half a pound?:cheers::)

I cant see buying a 441 when you can buy a 460 at the same weight but .5hp more power...and withing $40-50 difference in cost...

Yep thats why I bout me a 460 before they were all gone too

I don't worry about what a saw weighs full of fuel and oil. I NEVER fill mine up all the way for fear of pulling a muscle in my back or irritating my cramps. I put just about a quarter tank of fuel and oil in. I measure it in a pretty little pink plastic measuring cup that I bring with me in my leather woods tote, that has flowers and rainbows on the side. I then weigh my saw so I know I won't be lifting to much. If it is too heavy I either dump some fuel or lift some weights and come back in a week when my muscles have bulked up enough to handle the extra strain. I then skip out to the woods with Woodchucker81. We spend a half an hour or so just holding all our saws talking about which one is the fattest for it's displacement. Then we get down to business and cut some firewood. We cut it to .75" lengths REAL fast. If mine isn't the fastest I feel sad inside. Then we go back and spend an hour cleaning our saws and then 6 or 7 hours on AS talking about how neat they are.

I don't worry about what a saw weighs full of fuel and oil. I NEVER fill mine up all the way for fear of pulling a muscle in my back or irritating my cramps. I put just about a quarter tank of fuel and oil in. I measure it in a pretty little pink plastic measuring cup that I bring with me in my leather woods tote, that has flowers and rainbows on the side. I then weigh my saw so I know I won't be lifting to much. If it is too heavy I either dump some fuel or lift some weights and come back in a week when my muscles have bulked up enough to handle the extra strain. I then skip out to the woods with Woodchucker81. We spend a half an hour or so just holding all our saws talking about which one is the fattest for it's displacement. Then we get down to business and cut some firewood. We cut it to .75" lengths REAL fast. If mine isn't the fastest I feel sad inside. Then we go back and spend an hour cleaning our saws and then 6 or 7 hours on AS talking about how neat they are.

Gold.

Sawtroll wants to join you on your next trip !! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

That's why I love you so much Dezarn. You make me feel all warm and fuzzy..... In my pants..... :heart:

Wait. Did I just say that?? :confused:

So where are ya gunna get a new 440 from ?...........:dizzy:

I know a guy.....;)

If mine isn't the fastest I feel sad inside.

Then you need this....
my-inside-cleaner.jpg

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Latest posts

Back