Which would you rather buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw would you leave with???

• Total voters
That does sound reminiscent of the S vs H banter does'nt it?

Yep..not long back I remember....... "The 372 is far superior to the 440 because it's smoother, has spring anti-vibe, air injection and 4 port transfers".....:laugh:

I guess stihl just took a page from the husky book.

I'm not trying to be funny here guys, but I thought that the general consensus was that the strato saws seemed to not gain quite as much as the conventional 2-strokes with porting? Yes or no, now im interested. Anyone have any first hand experience with a ported 440 and 441?

Yep..not long back I remember....... "The 372 is far superior to the 440 because it's smoother, has spring anti-vibe, air injection and 4 port transfers".....:laugh:

Ya, but that's a proven fact. The 372 is a far superior saw to the ones in this poll:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey, if you wanna change the subject, then start another thread :laugh:

The main difference between the 441 and a husky is that the 441 doesn't need loc-tite!

LOL, I don't mind others liking Husky saws. I have run very few and they always seemed like buzzboxes. I'm not saying that they fall apart after 5 minutes of running them ........... but it sure does feel and sound like they will.

All of the loggers and tree professionals that I have known in my life (which isn't as many as others), but the people that I know that rely on a chainsaw to make a buck, there is one (running) Husky saw in that whole group.

When I first started out, I asked people about Huskies and others had tried them and they either didn't like how they felt or they fell apart and they ended up going back to Stihl. I just figured out from the get go, I would just start and stay with Stihl. I grab a Husky now and I might as well operate the saw left handed, LOL.

I don't care if someone else likes them, but I don't want one. If you gave me one I'd just sell it and buy a Stihl. I just like the simplicity of working with one brand, the simple parts like chain adjusters and such are all the same, most everything is in the same spot, same scrench and so on. For production I like for everything or most of it all to be the same, just makes everything simpler to me. My saw builder won't work on Huskies, his company won't buy them or use them. So I'd have to find someone to work on my saws and I don't want that.

That is my experience or lack of with Husky. That doesn't make them bad saws, but if you were in my shoes and it was your money and you saw and heard what I have, and your family relies on those decisions to make its money, you wouldn't have started buying Huskies either.

That is why I don't have Husky saws,

Sam

I'm not trying to be funny here guys, but I thought that the general consensus was that the strato saws seemed to not gain quite as much as the conventional 2-strokes with porting? Yes or no, now im interested. Anyone have any first hand experience with a ported 440 and 441?

Yes. There have been several good 441 builds here on the site. They mod very well; IMO better than the 440/460 for basic woods porting. Not to be the 'use the search police', but search 441 and you'll find all the comparison videos.

Stihl Stratos got a bad rep, because people (saw builders) were scared of them and/or didn't want to change. I literally had to force my sawman to do the work. He kept trying me to buy a 460, once he modded the 441 and started it up, his whole mind changed. Then he cut with it and tested it against his best modded 460 and he still likes his first modded 441.

Read some of the posts on here. Treeslinger, was bashing the 441, then he modded one finally and I;m pretty sure it was a really fast saw. I thought I have seen videos of the 441 being faster than the 372 that Husky makes. I don't know and have very little pride in that race, as I don't really care about Husky's. Possibly the 441 loses there, but if it does it isn't by very much, and it probably still gets better fuel mileage, LOL.

WildKnight above has a modded his 441 and there are others.

At that point, its just weight and smoothness and I think it is pretty hard to beat the cadilac feel of the 441.

My opinion,

Sam

Back when I was first exposed to ported saws, I ran Erick's 044/046. Man, that thing growled like a bear and just ripped through wood like nothing I had ever ran before. After Erick and I worked on my 441, even he was grinning and saying "dang, that's impressive."

Last summer, I went to every GTG within 6 hours of my place and ran every saw I could get my hands on. I even volunteered up my stock (at the time) 441 to anyone who wanted to run it. At every GTG, guys said 'Nothing wrong with that saw. Don't see why is everyone dogging it."

I'd happily take either into the woods to go cut. But, if forced to choose, then there really is no choice.

I'm kinda glad this thread took a little adventure into Husky land. Sounds like some might believe objectivity is only a positive if it's painted orange and white. Who would've thunk it?

Last edited:
I really don't undrestand why you guys are arguing about a couple of saws that get beat down by the 7900/681 with regularity in just about every way. Honestly you couldn't give me an old relic like the 440, 460 or 660, they're almost as bad as a Wild thing, except slower, and with worse vibration.:) It also seems the only way to get a 440 to run good is to add a 460 top end to it, and even than it's still not half the saw, the 372, 441 or 7900 is. I guess some are just afraid of new and different things.:givebeer::cheers:

Heil mein führer Stihl.:deadhorse::deadhorse: Same old $hit new day.:givebeer::givebeer:

Last edited:
I really don't undrestand why you guys are arguing about a couple of saws that get beat down by the 7900/681 with regularity in just about every way.

Except sales, dealer support, air filtration, used parts availability....im sure im missing something.

Hey look on the bright side though, sears is carrying Solo now.....:monkey:

Hey look on the bright side though, sears is carrying Solo now.....:monkey:

Sweet I have a Sears right up the street from me lol.

I've honestly had better luck with getting Dolmar parts than Stihl parts. I ordered a fuel line for my 362 about a month ago, it's still on back order from the factory. Dolmar's HD filter kills Stihl's setup IMHO. Sales? who cares about that, I don't make my living on selling saws. Rap Artists sell a lot of albums, but that doesn't mean it's good music, if you want to call it music.;)

If you dont mind paying an extra $80 or so extra for a filter that actually works...that doesnt even fit the 681. :laugh:

Whats wrong with your 362's fuel line? I thought that saw was only a few month's old???

I can get an HD kit for about $39.00

Design flaw. The fuel lines are too short and when the tank is less than half full it start sucking air. I hope the new one is longer when I get it. I bought the saw last September, started having issues with it this spring. The old line prevents the filter from even touching the bottom of the tank. I think the back order is because their changing it's design, at least that's what I hope.:cheers:

I really don't undrestand why you guys are arguing about a couple of saws that get beat down by the 7900/681 with regularity in just about every way. Honestly you couldn't give me an old relic like the 440, 460 or 660, they're almost as bad as a Wild thing, except slower, and with worse vibration.:) It also seems the only way to get a 440 to run good is to add a 460 top end to it, and even than it's still not half the saw, the 372, 441 or 7900 is. I guess some are just afraid of new and different things.:givebeer::cheers:

Heil mein führer Stihl.:deadhorse::deadhorse: Same old $hit new day.:givebeer::givebeer:

Yup, the 7900 can beat down a 440 and 441. I've ran some quick 7900s and prefer the 440. That would be about the only saw to compete with the 440 for weight and power. The poll has spoken on who would choose over the 440/441. "Not half the saw of the 372, 441 and 7900"? LOL 7900, yes. The other two, not so much. If you think it takes a 460 p&c to make a 440 run, you haven't ran a good 440. The 440 has a following for a reason, didn't get it overnight either.:cheers:

Back