Which would you rather buy???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What saw would you leave with???

• Total voters
Yup,lol!<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JmPoBy5VLA4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JmPoBy5VLA4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
i never thought the 441 would get anywhere near the amount of support it has on this thread.. im happy with that- its a good sign. If this is the ways saws are going to go its encouraging to know the stratos can hold their own. Maybe its like the switch to 4stroke for motocross some yrs ago.

Id still go for the 440 though. I love mine and as they say its a time honoured and trusted saw with lots of used parts available. Plus the fact that as soon as something is NLA its much more attractive.

Ive never run a 441, merely picked one up and handled it in the shop. but i will say this..

and im americanising this..

that saw sure is one ugly SOB.

:D

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iEWgs6YQR9A&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iEWgs6YQR9A&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't worry about what a saw weighs full of fuel and oil. I NEVER fill mine up all the way for fear of pulling a muscle in my back or irritating my cramps. I put just about a quarter tank of fuel and oil in. I measure it in a pretty little pink plastic measuring cup that I bring with me in my leather woods tote, that has flowers and rainbows on the side. I then weigh my saw so I know I won't be lifting to much. If it is too heavy I either dump some fuel or lift some weights and come back in a week when my muscles have bulked up enough to handle the extra strain. I then skip out to the woods with Woodchucker81. We spend a half an hour or so just holding all our saws talking about which one is the fattest for it's displacement. Then we get down to business and cut some firewood. We cut it to .75" lengths REAL fast. If mine isn't the fastest I feel sad inside. Then we go back and spend an hour cleaning our saws and then 6 or 7 hours on AS talking about how neat they are.

I'm picturing you guys in lederhosen.....please oh please tell me you wear lederhosen

eagerly awaiting more detail

I cannot agree more with Slamm; the 441 is superior.

The 044/440 achieved its legendary status from loggers. What appeals most to loggers? Power to weight? Sure, but 0.392 for the 440 vs 0.376 for the 441 is hardly much difference. Loggers get paid for production. The 441 is far superior in this respect, so it is sadly ironic that so many are disputing Slamm's logic. Additionally, the centrifugal air system decreases build-up on the filter. This eliminates much of the need for tinkering with the tuning while out on a long job, as well as the risk of a weekend warrior from burning up his saw or losing power. Say what you want about personally responsibility, but reality is what it is.

The 441 is just plain smooth to run. No contest here...

When it comes to modding, the 441 remains superior. The four port transfers alone give the 441 a power advantage over the 440. Once opened up, a 440 with a BB kit still has less torque than a 441.

The 441 is not some old strato design with reed valves. Its technology is sound: powerful and reliable. I know people always long for the quality of the old days. But progress is real. There is no sense in going backwards on this.

The 044/440 achieved its legendary status from loggers. What appeals most to loggers? Power to weight? Sure, but 0.392 for the 440 vs 0.376 for the 441 is hardly much difference. Loggers get paid for production. The 441 is far superior in this respect, so it is sadly ironic that so many are disputing Slamm's logic. Additionally, the centrifugal air system decreases build-up on the filter. This eliminates much of the need for tinkering with the tuning while out on a long job, as well as the risk of a weekend warrior from burning up his saw or losing power. Say what you want about personally responsibility, but reality is what it is.

When it comes to modding, the 441 remains superior. The four port transfers alone give the 441 a power advantage over the 440. Once opened up, a 440 with a BB kit still has less torque than a 441.

The 441 is not some old strato design with reed valves. Its technology is sound: powerful and reliable. I know people always long for the quality of the old days. But progress is real. There is no sense in going backwards on this.

Question for you Modders of the 441. Does it still yield the fuel efficiency once the ports are massaged and transfers tickled with ? Seems like the added Tourque would be at the expense of something?

That's it. If you can't baffle 'em with bull####, overload 'em with logic.

Great post! :clap: :clap:

Question for you Modders of the 441. Does it still yield the fuel efficiency once the ports are massaged and transfers tickled with ? Seems like the added Tourque would be at the expense of something?

Yes, it takes more fuel than stock, but is remains proportionally better than a modded 440.

If I had a big saw budget I would buy a 441 to run against my 576 and maybe a 372 x-torq. My BIL had a 441 and said it was a great saw for him. He works for asplundh so they use saws all day every day. He said they started using them after the 440 was discontinued. He said they actually use 36" bars on the 440 and 441s when they needed a bigger bar for something. He said most of them didn't like the 660s because the weight and fuel usage.

..... Additionally, the centrifugal air system decreases build-up on the filter.

...... The four port transfers alone give the 441 a power advantage over the 440.

So what your really trying to say is that the 441 is the best Husqvarna ever built....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Thanks, WildKnight, I can't really see how people get around these points or facts. They just want to be blind I guess.

Its not that the 440 or 460 are bad saws, they just aren't as good, and each one only has one leg to stand on 440/weight and the 460/ (I guess .5hp) either way they still won't cut more wood than a 441 starting with the first tank of gas, and they get farther and farther behind with each tank of gas that each saw burns.

As to someone saying why I didn't go with the 361 over the 441? Please remember at that time I was using a 361 and a 660. The 361 on a side hill (read very physically draining) would cut more Board Footage than the 660. Under the sidehill scenario, my physical fitness (which was pretty good) was a large contributor to the overall total efficiency of the getting the wood down and topped. In that scenerio not having to make the extra trips to get gas/oil, plus just not having to carry the 660, proved beneficial toward the 361. That being said a modded 361 gets close to a stock 660 in speed, but it isn't there, point being you will be noticeably waiting for the bar to come out the other side, LOL.

I wanted something that was a compromise on the fuel part, yet I didn't want to have to wait so long on the felling cuts and larger topping cuts. That is where the 460 came in. Obviously its in the middle, but after using one and working with others that used them, for the speed, which is close to the 660, they don't get you anything in fuel mileage increases (they are also noticeable lighter). I then found out about the 441, the first thing that jumped out at me was the fuel mileage benefit. I talked it over with my saw builder, who whined and complained, about the newer model and he didn't want change from his old standby the 440 and his personal favorite the 460. But I was looking for cutting speed close to the stock 660 and fuel mileage similar to the 361 and weight, somewhere in the middle for a compromise.

Admittedly, I'm not to good with stock saw experience because I don't/won't own one, so I have only run my 441 in modded form, but the logic and values are still the same ......... just mines faster, LOL.

Hope that helps,

Sam

Stihl went to 4 port transfers and husky went back to 2. I don't understand huskys thinking on some of this.

Back