who makes the best files?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i always soak them with the tang up(the point end) so that he filings can fall out of the groove better. when i pull them out i wipe them down with a shop towel. then they are good to go

files

Wow, never heard of that, I'll try it. But I use pferd, oregon,stihl and timbersavage files, all good!:) :chainsaw: :clap: :greenchainsaw:

I don't accurately control how much I take off. I guessestimate. I go through quite a few chains now and I usually only need to sharpen once before a chain is stretched and I remove a link. And then its sharpened maybe once again before its completely stretched out. I only remove one link and after this its hung up on the used nail.

How do you accurately control how much you take off?

Ian

I don't accurately control how much I take off. I guessestimate. I go through quite a few chains now and I usually only need to sharpen once before a chain is stretched and I remove a link. And then its sharpened maybe once again before its completely stretched out. I only remove one link and after this its hung up on the used nail.

How do you do that?
Mine will get wood dull a long time before I have to take out a link.
What am I doing wrong?:dizzy:

Andy

How do you do that?
Mine will get wood dull a long time before I have to take out a link.
What am I doing wrong?:dizzy:

Andy

If your sprocket is wore and you put a new chain on it , it will stretch the chain. Other then that running a dull chain, getting it into dirt , sand etc. will stretch it faster. On the average working on the ground about 2 chains to 1 sprocket is average for me. Saws up in buckets have less problems cause the wood is cleaner and they do not bump into things other then wood often. A good sprocket is often overlooked and it is a major component to maintaining the performance of a chainsaw. Chains last longer, less vibration,and stress on the crankshaft and bearings,av dampners etc.

Old trick when filing.Just tap the file on something periodically to knock the chips out,try it some time.Simple but effective.

Nicholson files

I believe Nicholson was bought out by Cooper Tools. Cooper now makes Wiss tinsnips, and they are garbage. JMO

Nicholsen chainsaw files are the shortest lived I have ever used. They are also the most expensive.
A few tricks that most of you already know. Don't drag the file backwards on the tooth. Store the file in a protective cover such as a drink straw or piece of fuel line, especially if it is riding in a tool box in the truck.

I like the Husky branded files we get here, I believe they are Pferd, but not 100% sure....

The Stihl branded ones doesn't have the same "bite".

Niko,

Facts, we want facts. You know, weight, vibes, the whole nine yards.

Joat

The vinegar trick, it does work, the files turn black and get their rough edge back, I rinse them with a wet rag afterwards though really worn files are beyond resurrection

My neighbor Earl took a thick sharpening wheel and dressed it to match the raker profile and he grinds them on the electric sharpener. Anyone else here do that or heard of it?

I like Nicholson they seem to bite harder and cut better. they also seem to last longer than the oregon ones. Then again my chain is never beyond 3 licks a tooth to be sharp and pointy.

Latest posts

Back