Who's got a husqvarna 545?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sold one if those:cry: If I watch that video one more time I'll be buying another one.......off to watch the video one more time:rock:

I'm impressed as hell with it.
One question. What do you like better? 2252 ported or 346xp ported. I'm not looking to see which one is stronger. I've already heard all about that. Lots of people, including myself, are hung up on 346. I think the 2252 is better stock. Which one would you rather use?

This is gonna sound weird but.......

I've not ran either of those saws enough to say which one is really the better saw. They are both extremely capable saws.

If I had to pick one though.........it would be the 2252/545.

I'm a odd duck. The MS261 ain't quite as fast.......it's heavier, and not nearly as agile. But I like it better than either of them.

This is gonna sound weird but.......

I've not ran either of those saws enough to say which one is really the better saw. They are both extremely capable saws.

If I had to pick one though.........it would be the 2252/545.

I'm a odd duck. The MS261 ain't quite as fast.......it's heavier, and not nearly as agile. But I like it better than either of them.

That surely is odd - I believe it may be a factor that you are mainly used to running saws that are larger than 50cc, so they all feel quite light and nimble anyway?

lf you look at the two loaded vids without hitting play you will notice a good snapshot of woodchip exhaust. Both saws mid-cut spray chips in almost totally different directions......No real biggie either way but l now KNOW why l am covered in sawdust when using my 550xp compared to my ms261. Looking at the snapshot you really notice the chip deflector doing its job on the 261 sending chips directly to your boots. Chip deflectors have never been determing factors for me when buying saws but its interesting to see different designs in action.

lf you look at the two loaded vids without hitting play you will notice a good snapshot of woodchip exhaust. Both saws mid-cut spray chips in almost totally different directions......No real biggie either way but l now KNOW why l am covered in sawdust when using my 550xp compared to my ms261. Looking at the snapshot you really notice the chip deflector doing its job on the 261 sending chips directly to your boots. Chip deflectors have never been determing factors for me when buying saws but its interesting to see different designs in action.

You better keep the top of your boots covered when using the 261 then! :D

That surely is odd - I believe it may be a factor that you are mainly used to running saws that are larger than 50cc, so they all feel quite light and nimble anyway?

I think more than anything else Niko it is that the MS261 is more than just a limbing saw. It's more of a from the stump to the tip sort of saw. The 550XP is a saw that is very easily twisted and swung thru the brush of the top of the tree down to the stem, but once at the stem, it just doesn't feel like saw I want for bucking. At that point I'm grabbing a bigger saw. Does that make any sense?

I think more than anything else Niko it is that the MS261 is more than just a limbing saw. It's more of a from the stump to the tip sort of saw. The 550XP is a saw that is very easily twisted and swung thru the brush of the top of the tree down to the stem, but once at the stem, it just doesn't feel like saw I want for bucking. At that point I'm grabbing a bigger saw. Does that make any sense?
Makes sense to me. But then again we gotta have an excuse use these20140709_220937.jpg

Sort of, but I don't really understand what makes the 261 more suitable for the bucking.

It shouldn't hurt anything that the saw is nimble and light, even though it don't need to be for the task at hand?

Check the kwf reports for the rpm that max power and torque are delivered on the 545 and 550. It's bang on for the only difference being crank stuffers.

Just curious, are you certain the 550, and 545 have different autotune software? While possible, it would seem as though they would simply use the same for cost considerations. Then limiting them with different coils, and or cylinders. Seems like developing different software for each model would get expensive.
check in over at hackaday. There's quite a bit of effort spent on deciphering the code/firmware to unlock those hidden features on personal electronics or the rice tuners that are just reflashing a common chip to get some gains.
It's sometimes called cripple ware (many trial useage programs are too) and commonly
you buy a bit of code to enter or flash to unlock things.
Heck, Old police/fire scanners were often just "crippled" with a few passive components that were easily removed to gain more band coverage (sometimes not entirely approved by the laws)
Using a common module and just altering the firmware is the lowest cost way to build different models. Heck sometimes it's even carried over to a minor change in an easily
changed casting shape (think transfer covers).
Making and inventorying different boards and circuits is far more expensive than altering
code.
Just think of that sat nav-onstar stuff in your car... turns on (and off ) with a monthly payment and a bit of code and it's in all the cars, just a manufacturer
marketing descision on that "prestige" line that decides which ones you hear about.
Then the preponderance of "back doors" into most all of our systems should give a hint as to how commonly BOTH the components and chunks of code are reused across the lines.

Latest posts

Back