Who's got a husqvarna 545?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the kwf reports for the rpm that max power and torque are delivered on the 545 and 550. It's bang on for the only difference being crank stuffers.

I am not sure that is the full thruth, and I haven't trusted the KWF reports in some years, close to ten years actually. They started messing it up around 2005.
There is no info about how many saws they test of each model (i suspect it is only one), or the state of run-in of those saws. I know that they made some rather unfair comparisons in 2005, cooperating with a German magazine and Dolmar.

They also "renew" the test reports every 5th year, apparently without actually testing current production saws - just copying the older results.

Perhaps - but until someone can flash the brain box in an autotune saw and read the code we have visual inspection of mechanical components and those are the only available dyno reports.
Of course the lack if revboost is documented but I don't believe that it has been explained how this works. Best guess is a variation of both ignition timing and fueling during transition.

LOL, but can't really let this go; Are you 100% sure there are no internal difference under or inside
the transfer covers of the 550/2253 vs. the 545/2252?

Yes Niko. 100% sure. Same port timing, same transfer covers. I was told that the transfer covers were different. That's the reason I got the 550XP top delivered to me. But after careful mapping and examination there were no differences anywhere.

The coil is different, maybe the carb too......and the 550XP has stuffers. As far as I can tell there are no other differences.

Yes Niko. 100% sure. Same port timing, same transfer covers. I was told that the transfer covers were different. That's the reason I got the 550XP top delivered to me. But after careful mapping and examination there were no differences anywhere.

Cool we had always wondering this being the transfer covers had different numbers. Thanks Randy. :rock::bowdown:

I think more than anything else Niko it is that the MS261 is more than just a limbing saw. It's more of a from the stump to the tip sort of saw. The 550XP is a saw that is very easily twisted and swung thru the brush of the top of the tree down to the stem, but once at the stem, it just doesn't feel like saw I want for bucking. At that point I'm grabbing a bigger saw. Does that make any sense?

I understand what you mean Randy. I truly miss my old 346xp and how nimble it was, as it handled like a scalpel. I did use it for complete removals of many 18" and less trees, but it was chugging a bit at the base and that was running .325 chain. My 261 has had 3/8 pitch chain since day one and it always surprises me how well it pulls, almost like a slightly smaller 361... It doesn't handle like a husky, but it has usable torque which is nice. I'd still like a 550xp, and this thread has me curious about a 545/2252 (I need a RED saw anyway). However even if I do buy one, the 261 isn't going ANYWHERE! Fat Bottomed Girls make the rockin' world go 'round, after-all.

I understand what you mean Randy. I truly miss my old 346xp and how nimble it was, as it handled like a scalpel. I did use it for complete removals of many 18" and less trees, but it was chugging a bit at the base and that was running .325 chain. My 261 has had 3/8 pitch chain since day one and it always surprises me how well it pulls, almost like a slightly smaller 361... It doesn't handle like a husky, but it has usable torque which is nice. I'd still like a 550xp, and this thread has me curious about a 545/2252 (I need a RED saw anyway). However even if I do buy one, the 261 isn't going ANYWHERE! Fat Bottomed Girls make the rockin' world go 'round, after-all.
Bryan, I just did a MM on my newer stock 346, added 3/8 chain 18" bar and it's a different saw. Pulls it great! The MM made a huge difference! :)

Don, I should have clarified, before I MM'ed mine, it was good. Afterwards, it was GREAT. Still, I would love to compare a MMed 346 pulling 3/8 chain to my 261 to have a better answer as I think my 261 has a decent bit more torque. Wgere the 346 was a screamer, the 261 quietly goes about it's business like the small kid on the wrestling team who benched well beyond his body weight.

Latest posts

Back