Why Aren't You Guys staying on Topic?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Ben you were right I don't even know what I own anymore the CR500r was the '02 and the 406 is actually a '94 sorry about the argument I guess I should chech stuff before I open my mouth..I'll have some pics of it when I get this roll of film developed..

Later Rob.

That thing sure looks sweet. I thought the biggest they were going to throw in it was the 700, but I see now they have the 800 in there. After the gear heads get through with that, it is going to be like strapping yourself to the front wing of a 747.

I have PSI engineering pipes, A tighter clutch, gearing by belmont micro, composite belt. I can do best in the long runs, but off the line I get beat alot. I also am only running 126 studs and with that extra traction at the start you can really pull ahead. I am going to switch the gearing back, put a new track on as mine is pretty narly, add longer and more studs, and go for off the line shots again. It is hard to hang with many of those guys though who have $10,000 engines and really know how to sweeten their performance. I set it up like that to ride 2-3 times a year out on the ice and at some winter festivals.

I end up running mine on the trails to get use out of it in the winter, so setting it up to race is really wasting my money. I really like putting on miles and cruising the country.

Oh yeah, to stay on topic, I use synthetic oil in it. I dont worry about temp, but I am certain that I get way less fouling. Just like my saws!

BTW, that sled is for sale if anyone is interested.

Originally posted by StIhL MaGnUm
Hey Ben you were right I don't even know what I own anymore the CR500r was the '02 and the 406 is actually a '94

Later Rob.
Are you sure? You don't know the difference betwen an 02 CR500 and a 94 406. Come on now. I think you got caught this time.

Hey if thats what you want to believe then so be it,and anyone else who does'nt believe me I don't really care what you do or don't think I own, I know what I own,I know what I do and thats all I really care about so believe what you want too..I for one like hanging out here and talking about saws etc but I'm feeling all of you will be more happy if I just leave the site for good :angry:..All I do is make a couple mistakes and I get a rashion of SH!T for it saying I don't own this,I don't own that,I'm a clown etc..What the HE!!..

If no one believes me than why don't you fly your a$$ or drive to one of my jobs or come to my house so I can prove you wrong..I'm sick of you tellin me what I don't have:angry:

Let me ask you something why in the He!! do I need to tell you my life story and tell you where I buy my equipment from,tell you the salesmans name,number etc..I'm here to talk about saws not prove to you what I own.what the hell is wrong with everyone all the sudden what is this my week to get picked apart or something..I feel like I'm being interigated by the police for some reason..

Dan why don't you tell me where you bought you car,truck,chainsaws,motorcycles,why don't you tell me there phone numbers,and maybe even the salesmens names,where they live what they do for a living...Why don't you just put me on your ignore list or something.

Later Rob.

I will put an end to it all Rob.

Next weekend I am headed to VT, I will be going to the town or village of Wilson NH to look a started dog. My friend and I will stop by Rob's I can bring my digital camera takes some pics, load them on my friends laptop, transfer them to floppy disk.

Then Rob will be able to post the pics and I will be able to drive a grapple skidder and work the harvesting machine. I will bring a few saws with me and I will let you use them since I cann't lift anything heavy yet. My friend who lives in Vt loves chains saws and he can bring his walkerized 385.

I am going out of my way to save face Rob please don't let us down.Not to mention you can see my bald head driving those machines.

Ben Walker, we emailed a few times and I will be going to south America the 3rd week of May. To shoot doves and pigeons, I know you have the camp with your dad but if you could sneek away you will shoot til your arms fall off.

http://www.forestours.com/

If anyone would like to go on a high volume dove and pigeon shoot please email me.

What a small world we live in, but I wouldn’t I want to paint it.

Rob, Doug and I have had plans for a few weeks to meet in Colebrook to snow mobile next weekend. As you know Doug purchased a new sled and I will have the pleasure of meeting him and playing on his sleds. Please forward the location so we can both meet you. I will be taking off Friday so there is no chance of not meeting sometime during the weekend.

Last edited:
Hey Mike, Yea, they are still available in OZ and street legal to boot. They are doing this just to use up the remaining production inventory. My 02 cr500af's motor had to be built from parts. Honda will sell you a box full of parts top build a engine from scratch.

Geez, it's not so funny any more

I thought a something funny to say to you guys last night while watching the weather map, but now not its not so funny with everyone so cranky. Oh what the heck, I still think it's funny: Hey doug, I know why you never got your sled any faster, you run out of state once you get up to speed. I still can't find all those little states all bunched up together over there. We have lakes, heck we have single trail systems that are bigger than your whole state! Where do you go riding out there? I hear NY has some great open country and trails once you get NW. Or do you load up a couple saws and the sleds and go to see the canucks? I am trying to plan a trip over the bridge to the canadian side, just north of the U.P.

John,
The states certainly are crammed in up here in New England. Interestingly enough, the real reason that I never modded my Mach Z was that it was actually my very first snowmobile. I decided, at age 42, that I wanted to get into it, so I bought that sled and a 97 Grand Touring 500 for my wife. After about 500 miles on the Mach, I tried hillclimbing it, flipped it over and it made two end-for-end and about 10 barrel rolls before it came to rest at the bottom. I managed to get out of the way unscathed, but the sled fared less well. $4000 damage which was mostly in a whole new cowl and tunnel (crimped it on end-for-end number 2). A thou more and they would have totalled it.

Presently, I pretty much leave the trail sleds more on the stock side. I have a '03 ZR900 AC, an '00 MXZ500 which my son rides, the new 800 Blair and a pro-stock drag sled with an 1100 cc rotary valve motor in it (actually, it's out of it right now having a forged crank put in). It's making just under 300 HP and runs over 120 in 660 ft. I run 384 steel ice picks in a shaved race track. It's one of those "make a few runs, adjust something; make a few more runs, break something" kind of deals.

Most of the time, we go up to the White Mountains of NH to ride, or up to my place in Maine, or Colebrook and Pittburg, NH. The so-called VAST trail system of Vermont is kept in excellent shape and I've been there a few times, but never to Canada yet. I've heard that the trails there are like 4 lane highways!

4 Lane highway

I think I will try to use your words Doug....Something about "spewing filth"? Lol....we don't use trails in Canada, unless its to get to the post office or the liquor store...about 75% of our sledding is done on wide open ranges...not many trail riders here in BC...mostly hillclimbers, snowcrossers, and powderhounds...

Sounds like some nice toys. What is that rotary engine out of, a mazda or something? I like to tinker a bit, and then ride for some serious miles so I don't get into the ice racing more than once or twice a year.
I have seen videos and pics of the trail systems in eastern canada. They do look like highways! You can run a semi down them no problem, and I think they do on occasion. Excellent grooming. I think that area is ontario. I will start in Sault st marie, make a big loop about 700 miles.
I too have a touring sled. 98 Grand touring. Makes a guy lazy with electric start and reverse. It is too top heavy though and I have put it on its side a few times. I want to trade out everything, get two 700s with electric start and reverse, but single ups. It is just more fun with two sleds instead of riding in the back.

John,
It's a three cylinder, two stroke rotary VALVE motor. It looks a lot like your Mach Z Rotax 809 triple, but instead of having case reed induction, it has rotary valve induction. It's a special race motor made by The Crank Shop in Vermont. Unlike piston port (used in modern chainsaws) and reed valve (used in most older chainsaws), the rotary valve engine provides for asymetrical intake port timing. Rotary valve motors have the highest specific output of these three common types. Other than the '99 MXZ 600, all '99 and previous Rotax twins were rotary valve. They switched over to piston post designs later on in order to get the engine farther down in the chassis and reduce weight. All of the Rotax triples are case reed. '00 and beyond Rotax twins are piston port, reed induction. One thing that's nice about non-rotary valve motors is that they can be made to run in reverse, by over-advancing the ignition timing. This is called "RER" by Ski Doo and amounts to a pushbutton electronic reverse with no gears. This idea is not new, as Mercury outboards used it for reverse in the late 50's. Sometimes, hotsaw racers with radical ignition timing advance will have their saws start in reverse as the engine kicks backward off the compression stroke.

What did that engine start as? A bombardier 1000, or was it made from scratch. There was a guy that hung out with us that had a 1000cc ski-doo that was pretty impressive. Unfortunately he decided to ride home one night down down the street, lost control and rode it up tree. There was not much left of the sled and he didnt look all that great either after that. You guys do have some advantages out there, every hot engine builder I hear of is from your way. I think Flannery's is in NY.

Well we have gotten 3 days of off and on snow now so I think I will have to head out this weekend and get some riding in. Enjoy that new REV and let me knwo how you like it.

Back