Will E15 gas replace E10

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echomeister

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Big news today is the push for more E15 gas. Can most cars use E15??

I understand 2 cycle engines cannot use it.

If cars can't use it the E10 will still be available.

I have been running saws on E10 for years. Never had a problem. I don’t see any reason that they cannot run on E15.

Big news today is the push for more E15 gas. Can most cars use E15??

I understand 2 cycle engines cannot use it.

If cars can't use it the E10 will still be available.

Let me guess: it's all for the environment, for Christmas and puppies.
Surely not for Archer Daniels Midland and the rest of Big Agri getting fat on the subsidies and mandates. ;)

Ethanol served a purpose back when most cars and trucks has carbs or primitive fuel injection and ran rich. Modern vehicles run as lean as possible. Fuel that requires more oxygen does not make them run any cleaner. Ethanol in fuel is just a way to steal money from the citizens and give it to corporate ag and ethanol producers.

If you have a carb saw with limiters it may not be able to run E15 safely. The two saws with limiters that I have owned were at the stop to be tuned properly on E10. E15 would require a slightly richer adjustment which would not legally be possible. Many people here remove the limiters and know how to tune carbs,. For us E15 will not be a problem for those saws. For most people it would be.

I don't know if Mtronic saws can tune rich enough for E15. You'd hope so.

E15 is not allowed per the manuals for my car, truck and street motorcycle. That's going to be a problem.

You guys just don't understand trickle down economics. It will all trickle back down to you regular folks (snicker, snicker).

I have been running saws on E10 for years. Never had a problem. I don’t see any reason that they cannot run on E15.
Everybody I know that uses E10 for small engines has to clean and/or rebuild their carbs on a regular. Since most of us switched to oxy free, we haven't had to clean or rebuild a single carb.

I also know of many people that will only run VP/Trufuel/etc premix to avoid the hassle of ethanol in their saws. I know you can separate the ethanol out of gas just by adding water, but pulling it out is such a hassle, especially if you go through gallons of it. We have oxy free premium in my town and I will happily pay the extra 50-60 cents per gallon rather than cleaning carbs for all of my small engines every year.

Everybody I know that uses E10 for small engines has to clean and/or rebuild their carbs on a regular. Since most of us switched to oxy free, we haven't had to clean or rebuild a single carb.

I also know of many people that will only run VP/Trufuel/etc premix to avoid the hassle of ethanol in their saws. I know you can separate the ethanol out of gas just by adding water, but pulling it out is such a hassle, especially if you go through gallons of it. We have oxy free premium in my town and I will happily pay the extra 50-60 cents per gallon rather than cleaning carbs for all of my small engines every year.

Oh no its the etoh booggger man..... again. I recently fired up a ms361 that sat for 5 or so years with a tank full of E10 in an unheated shop. It started fine, we made a few cuts, had a good laugh at that piece of junk and its back sitting with the same tank of fuel. No phase separation, no gummed carb, no implosion killing a bus load of nuns. E10 or e15, it will be alright. The synthetic oil soaks up all the evil.

Yea I figure what ever is coming out of the pump is anything but E10. Could be E27.5 for all I know.

E0 is hard to find and expensive here. My saws, generator, ATVs and other power equipment all do fine on E10. I've had one 25 year old fuel line on the lawn mower that needed replacing and it had rotted from the outside. Anything made in the last 20+ years has fuel system components that can handle reasonable amounts of ethanol. It's the engine tuning that's a problem with E15.

As far as the politics and the environment, even the government says that ethanol in fuel does not reduce emissions:
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.php?page=biofuel_ethanol_environment

and here's an explanation of some of the politics:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/jan/28/ethanol-biofuel-corn-expensive

40% of the US corn crop went to ethanol in 2015. What a waste! I assume it's higher now. Interesting that it's Democratic politicians who tried to eliminate the ethanol mandate and were blocked. As the article points out, political support for ethanol is geographical based.

You can measure how much ethanol is in the gas at your local gas stations, by putting 100ml of gas into a glass graduated cylinder, add some water to the cylinder next and gently shake it up so it doesn't spill. Let the cylinder settle for a few minutes until you can see that the fluids are clearly separated. Using lines on the top and bottom of the gas layer, you can calculate how much non-ethanol gas is remaining. 85ml of gas in the top layer means that there was 15% ethanol. If the pumps advertise a maximum of 10% ethanol, they are falsely advertising to sell contaminated gas.

I just put oil in gas and run the saws. Never needed to rebuild a carb due to E10. Start saw, check tune, cut wood. Let people with more time then me worry about it.

You can measure how much ethanol is in the gas at your local gas stations, by putting 100ml of gas into a glass graduated cylinder, add some water to the cylinder next and gently shake it up so it doesn't spill. Let the cylinder settle for a few minutes until you can see that the fluids are clearly separated. Using lines on the top and bottom of the gas layer, you can calculate how much non-ethanol gas is remaining. 85ml of gas in the top layer means that there was 15% ethanol. If the pumps advertise a maximum of 10% ethanol, they are falsely advertising to sell contaminated gas.
Yeppers ! It’s not uncommon to buy E10 fuel that has more than 10% ethanol in it ! In NY there have been independent tests done and the fuel contained up to 22% ethanol on a pump clearly labeled 10% ... your saw no likey this and if you run ported saw likey even less ... If I’m just Buckin a few cords it’s STIHL motomix for me ! If I’ve got enough to buck up to burn 2+ gallons of fuel then it’s 91 NON - Ethanol and STIHL ultra at 50:1 ... Imho stay - away from corn - gas in your saws ——- not worth taking a chance on a $1000 tool !

Back